The Student Room Group

Advice on buying a basic first car

Scroll to see replies

Original post by t.b.s
Thanks, that's all really helpful stuff. Did you know when you bought it that you'd need to put in money for the repairs quite soon? Thanks for the tip about the footwell i'll add that to my checklist :smile:

Thanks!

I got my dad to look over it seen as he is quite experienced with most of this stuff but apart from a bit of rust here and there It looked fine. So i knew that i might have to put in a little money but i didnt really expect it to fail its MOT (because of the broken spring)
Original post by t.b.s
Have you had a bad experience with Corsa's ?

I hadn't thought about looking for something at auction, what does BMA stand for? Thanks

Not so much myself but my best friend bought one for about £1000 with 80k miles and has had nothing but issues with it; as with all cars it depends on who owned them but I guess I just have a bad image of Corsas now.

BMA is British Car Auction, they usually have a lot of areas where they hold auctions. I managed to get mine from there and it's turned out great (there is a 30 day rule where if something major on the car breaks you can effectively "return it" - or something along those lines) :smile:

EDIT: just realised that I wrote BMA rather than BCA... I really don't think the British Medical Association sell cars :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Bern Herkins
I got my dad to look over it seen as he is quite experienced with most of this stuff but apart from a bit of rust here and there It looked fine. So i knew that i might have to put in a little money but i didnt really expect it to fail its MOT (because of the broken spring)

It's good you had someone to look at it but that is annoying about the MOT, I guess that's just the risk with buying any car and that is what makes it seem so scary! I'll just have to see how it goes and hope for the best.
Reply 23
Original post by Kieran1996
Not so much myself but my best friend bought one for about £1000 with 80k miles and has had nothing but issues with it; as with all cars it depends on who owned them but I guess I just have a bad image of Corsas now.

BMA is British Car Auction, they usually have a lot of areas where they hold auctions. I managed to get mine from there and it's turned out great (there is a 30 day rule where if something major on the car breaks you can effectively "return it" - or something along those lines) :smile:

EDIT: just realised that I wrote BMA rather than BCA... I really don't think the British Medical Association sell cars :colondollar:

Yeah I think the same about particular cars as well because I know people have not had a good experience of them, but I have decided to probably not go for a corsa now aswell.

No worries! There is a BCA not too far from me which is good to know for future when i'm abit more clued up and can happily bid away :smile:
Okay so I've just passed my test and I'm not sure what car to purchase I'm thinking of the Mercedes Benz a200d or a Audi A3 any suggestions or thoughts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending