The Student Room Group

I want to study medicine but I love maths

Hi,
I've wanted to study medicine for ages (with a inclination to become a forensic pathologist) and I have the grades and I'm looking forward to studying it (I'm applying to Oxford for 2017 entry) and I've done loads of work experience
But I also love maths
And sometimes on a day like today when I have a really fun time in my further maths lessons I get really sad 'cause there's barely any maths in medicine
Just wondering if there's any sort of maths programs/exams you can do after a level, at the same time as studying a different degree? I'd really like to continue with my maths studies and aim to eventually get a PhD in it, but at the same time medicine is also something I love. ;-; halp
My advice will be to study what you enjoy. You'll do better in Maths than Medicine if you enjoy Maths more.

Sorry, not sure about anything you could do alongside of Medicine.
You have time to decide, try arranging some work experience in both areas and see how it goes for you? t
Some unordered thoughts:

"I've wanted to study medicine for ages" - first thought is that you've probably never stopped to be objective about your career choice. Make sure its actually what you want to do not just an expectation your younger self/others created for you.

Sadly, unless you do go on to become an academic there will come a point at which you will no longer be studying pure maths. University just puts it off a few years. If you love stats and spreadsheets then sure you can do that forever. That's generally not what people enjoy though.

Maths at undergraduate level moves on very rapidly. It becomes very hypothetical and focuses on long proofs... its very different to pre-uni maths (which is more similar to uni-level physics, I'd say).

Realistically, you are never going to be good enough to do a PhD in maths and have a career in medicine alongside that.

The most mathematical medicine gets is within public health (stats) and some pharmacological research might have some modelling in it. You're right overall - there is very limited maths within medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
Some unordered thoughts:

"I've wanted to study medicine for ages" - first thought is that you've probably never stopped to be objective about your career choice. Make sure its actually what you want to do not just an expectation your younger self/others created for you.

Sadly, unless you do go on to become an academic there will come a point at which you will no longer be studying pure maths. University just puts it off a few years. If you love stats and spreadsheets then sure you can do that forever. That's generally not what people enjoy though.

Maths at undergraduate level moves on very rapidly. It becomes very hypothetical and focuses on long proofs... its very different to pre-uni maths (which is more similar to uni-level physics, I'd say).

Realistically, you are never going to be good enough to do a PhD in maths and have a career in medicine alongside that.

The most mathematical medicine gets is within public health (stats) and some pharmacological research might have some modelling in it. You're right overall - there is very limited maths within medicine.

very well said

Quick Reply

Latest