The Student Room Group

Aerospace engineering, what Uni to choose ?

Hi guys, I've received unconditional offers from the following universities to study Aerospace engineering : Bristol, Loughborough, Southampton and Leeds. However, I'm having a hard time deciding which uni i should go to. I know that Bristol is the most "prestigious" of them all and has close links with the aerospace industry such as Airbus and stuff. However, it doesn't seem to be possible to do a year in industry with this course, while Southampton and Loughborough respectively propose a semestre and a whole year in industry. I do not plan to go to Leeds btw.
My question is : Is going to Bristol will make it harder to find a job at the end, as I won't really have any professional experience in that field compared to if I'd have studied in Soton or lboro ?
Ps : I'm a EU student, so I can't easily travel to the UK to visit those universities.
Thanks you for your answers :smile:
Original post by Erwan
Hi guys, I've received unconditional offers from the following universities to study Aerospace engineering : Bristol, Loughborough, Southampton and Leeds. However, I'm having a hard time deciding which uni i should go to. I know that Bristol is the most "prestigious" of them all and has close links with the aerospace industry such as Airbus and stuff. However, it doesn't seem to be possible to do a year in industry with this course, while Southampton and Loughborough respectively propose a semestre and a whole year in industry. I do not plan to go to Leeds btw.
My question is : Is going to Bristol will make it harder to find a job at the end, as I won't really have any professional experience in that field compared to if I'd have studied in Soton or lboro ?
Ps : I'm a EU student, so I can't easily travel to the UK to visit those universities.
Thanks you for your answers :smile:

You can technically do a year in industry in all courses, they just don't recommend it. Universities like Bristol recommends getting summer internships, which tbh is kind of the same thing. if you get an internship every summer during your 4 year course, that will stack up to about 12 months which is the equivalent of year in industry, and because internships are 3 months long, you can switch industries every summer, giving you a wide range of experience.

And to answer your question, I don't think going Bristol 'will make it harder', as like I said, you can get summer internships too, there are lots of summer internships in aerospace industries (the small ones), which you can apply to even from first year. Also Out of your uni's Southampton and Bristol are like the top ones. The difference between Soton and Bristol will be up to you. Course content wise, they are pretty similar, but Southampton more modules related to spacecrafts than Bristol so if space if your thing then that will be a reason to choose Southampton, otherwise I'd look into other factors that aren't engineering based (like the location, costs of living there, societies, etc-you can find these on the Internet) because they will both be pretty much the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To give the advice my professors, other students and I have gathered over the past few years: doing internships doesn't really matter as much as it's made out to be. It's nice to have one on your CV but in the end they're awfully difficult to get (outside of a couple of exceptions we're talking 20 people on a given course is the absolute maximum that are going to get either a summer or year long placement) and engineering graduates still have a very high rate of graduate employment. If you look at the statistics Bristol grads earn more than their Bath counterparts and are just as likely to get employed (Bath and Bristol widely considered to be universities that are on par with each other and Bath has a very good record of getting people into industrial placements).

You can also take a leave of absence instead of doing an official placement.
Hi guys, I'm quite confused about what uni to choose for aerospace... I've got offers from Bristol, Soton, Surrey, Leeds and Glasgow, but the ones I'm considering most are Bristol and Glasgow. Bristol because it has pretty good reputation for Aerospace and it's more focused in Aeronautics, which I'm more interested in. Then Glasgow because as an EU student (Spain) the tuition fees for me are much cheaper there than in England and it's not bad for Aerospace too. The main problem with Glasgow is that it's an extra year of degree compared to Bristol or any other uni from England... So it's being quite I tough decision for me to make. I think I'm considering the two better choices I have, because Soton is more focused in space, which I'm not too interested in. Anyway if you think I should consider the other three please tell me. Any advice would be very helpful to me!
Original post by mariogroves
Hi guys, I'm quite confused about what uni to choose for aerospace... I've got offers from Bristol, Soton, Surrey, Leeds and Glasgow, but the ones I'm considering most are Bristol and Glasgow. Bristol because it has pretty good reputation for Aerospace and it's more focused in Aeronautics, which I'm more interested in. Then Glasgow because as an EU student (Spain) the tuition fees for me are much cheaper there than in England and it's not bad for Aerospace too. The main problem with Glasgow is that it's an extra year of degree compared to Bristol or any other uni from England... So it's being quite I tough decision for me to make. I think I'm considering the two better choices I have, because Soton is more focused in space, which I'm not too interested in. Anyway if you think I should consider the other three please tell me. Any advice would be very helpful to me!

If you get high enough grades you should be able to go straight into second year at Glasgow and so your course length will be the same. That said, Bristol is a very good engineering school and arguably worth the extra cost.

Also don't count Soton out so quickly as the core modules are not that space focused, in fact if you want to there's ony one space module you have to take, which is the same as at Bristol. Meanwhile Surrey which has a Space Centre doesn't have any space modules until year 4 and even then they're optional.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Helloworld_95
If you get high enough grades you should be able to go straight into second year at Glasgow and so your course length will be the same. That said, Bristol is a very good engineering school and arguably worth the extra cost.

Also don't count Soton out so quickly as the core modules are not that space focused, in fact if you want to there's ony one space module you have to take, which is the same as at Bristol. Meanwhile Surrey which has a Space Centre doesn't have any space modules until year 4 and even then they're optional.

Yeah I know about the Advanced Entry programme from Glasgow but I'm worried that it could be much more difficult to start from year 2. Another option is taking the Faster Route course which offers you to condense year 4 into year 3. I'm not sure which of these two would be better. The Faster Route programme seems to be quite compact and stressful...
Yeah I have thought about choosing Soton at least as a second choice. The problem is that I don't really want to reject Glasgow as the fees are so cheap, and I think that among the English unis, Bristol is the one that most appeals to me. Do you think Soton could be better than Bristol? Also if you know anything about Aerospace at Glasgow it would be helpful... I don't know much about Engineering there. The main reason I'm considering Glasgow are the EU fees, which are like one grand per year. So it makes the difference with the 9 grand from Bristol. That's another thing, do you think repaying your loans it's a big problem if you study an Engineering degree? Apparently you can get pretty good jobs with it, but I'm not sure.
Thank's a lot for the advice and the quick reply!
Yeah I know about the Advanced Entry programme from Glasgow but I'm worried that it could be much more difficult to start from year 2. Another option is taking the Faster Route course which offers you to condense year 4 into year 3. I'm not sure which of these two would be better. The Faster Route programme seems to be quite compact and stressful...
Yeah I have thought about choosing Soton at least as a second choice. The problem is that I don't really want to reject Glasgow as the fees are so cheap, and I think that among the English unis, Bristol is the one that most appeals to me. Do you think Soton could be better than Bristol? Also if you know anything about Aerospace at Glasgow it would be helpful... I don't know much about Engineering there. The main reason I'm considering Glasgow are the EU fees, which are like one grand per year. So it makes the difference with the 9 grand from Bristol. That's another thing, do you think repaying your loans it's a big problem if you study an Engineering degree? Apparently you can get pretty good jobs with it, but I'm not sure.

@Glasgow Uni maybe you could comment more on the course at Glasgow??

I'd say I would prefer Bristol over Soton because it's a decent sized city whereas the latter is quite small, otherwise they're on a similar par.

Repaying your loans should be no problem, after all it's more like a graduate tax than a loan repayment so it's not going to put you in a bad financial situation or anything like that.
Original post by Helloworld_95
@Glasgow Uni maybe you could comment more on the course at Glasgow??

I'd say I would prefer Bristol over Soton because it's a decent sized city whereas the latter is quite small, otherwise they're on a similar par.

Repaying your loans should be no problem, after all it's more like a graduate tax than a loan repayment so it's not going to put you in a bad financial situation or anything like that.

Cool! Thanks for all the info, it has been very helpful to me!

Hi there! (And thanks @Helloworld_95 for giving me a shout)

I had the option to be a direct entry student into 2nd year but decided against it. If you are academically strong, you can enter 2nd year with little to no problems. My 1st year was spent getting used to university, learning a bit of extra background, re-capping maths I had already done and making friends/joining clubs. It was perfect for all of those things, but if you want to cut the degree down by a year, it's very doable.

I'm currently a 4th year Aero student at Glasgow, and it's great, and the department only continues to improve. We have a growing selection of classes to take, great lecturers, good connections with BAE Systems (I've just finished a project which they advised), and Glasgow is a highly ranked university. Of course, cheap university fees helps tremendously, but we also have a very large international student population and there's quite a few Spanish students who do Aero here.

Also, (the clincher for me when choosing a university, and something I always recommend to people), Glasgow has an amazing Study Abroad program. For engineering, you can study abroad to virtually anywhere in the world in your 3rd or 4th year. You'd of course already be studying abroad, but you could potentially study abroad again if you wanted to for a year. It's actually very common for international students who come here to also study abroad to somewhere else. Also something else to think about!

Do let me know if you have any other questions about Glasgow or the program itself! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hi there! (And thanks @Helloworld_95 for giving me a shout)

I had the option to be a direct entry student into 2nd year but decided against it. If you are academically strong, you can enter 2nd year with little to no problems. My 1st year was spent getting used to university, learning a bit of extra background, re-capping maths I had already done and making friends/joining clubs. It was perfect for all of those things, but if you want to cut the degree down by a year, it's very doable.

I'm currently a 4th year Aero student at Glasgow, and it's great, and the department only continues to improve. We have a growing selection of classes to take, great lecturers, good connections with BAE Systems (I've just finished a project which they advised), and Glasgow is a highly ranked university. Of course, cheap university fees helps tremendously, but we also have a very large international student population and there's quite a few Spanish students who do Aero here.

Also, (the clincher for me when choosing a university, and something I always recommend to people), Glasgow has an amazing Study Abroad program. For engineering, you can study abroad to virtually anywhere in the world in your 3rd or 4th year. You'd of course already be studying abroad, but you could potentially study abroad again if you wanted to for a year. It's actually very common for international students who come here to also study abroad to somewhere else. Also something else to think about!

Do let me know if you have any other questions about Glasgow or the program itself! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Hi there!

That has been tremendously helpful! Just what I was looking for. Yeah I've read that the first year is always a year to get in touch with the uni and the degree, and to refresh content you have already studied. It's good to hear that is not as difficult as it looks. I consider I'm quite strong academically, but it might be good to take the first year... specially to adapt myself to a new country, another language and stuff. Anyway, it's great to have the option to start from year 2... It's being such a tough decision. The three unis look pretty good, they all offer pretty good stuff.

Bristol seems to be a very nice uni, it's a three year course, has good connections to industry, the teaching is apparently good too, and also offers to study abroad in pretty much anywhere in the world. The problem are the big fees... but they seem to be "easy" to repay... So what would you say Glasgow has that could change my mind and choose it over Bristol?

Thank you very much for the elaborated reply!

Bristol seems to be a very nice uni, it's a three year course, has good connections to industry, the teaching is apparently good too, and also offers to study abroad in pretty much anywhere in the world. The problem are the big fees... but they seem to be "easy" to repay... So what would you say Glasgow has that could change my mind and choose it over Bristol?

Hey again,

Bristol is also an excellent option. I've been to the city and to the campus, and it's brilliant. Glasgow and Bristol, whilst great places to study, have a lot of differences with the courses and with the cities themselves. Definitely look into the culture you'd be going into, what students have to say, what there is to do, the benefits and drawbacks. It's not all just the university, it's the place and the people, go to the place where you think you'd be the happiest. :smile:

I'm not here to sway your decision. As you say, engineering is a great discipline with plenty of prospects, so paying off your student loan isn't much of an issue. But I can tell you more about Glasgow itself. It's a very social city, and one of the best things about the place is the people. The university is in the West End which is a beautiful area and it just takes a 5 minute subway to get into the city centre. It is amazing for student nightlife and has a great music scene.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hey again,

Bristol is also an excellent option. I've been to the city and to the campus, and it's brilliant. Glasgow and Bristol, whilst great places to study, have a lot of differences with the courses and with the cities themselves. Definitely look into the culture you'd be going into, what students have to say, what there is to do, the benefits and drawbacks. It's not all just the university, it's the place and the people, go to the place where you think you'd be the happiest. :smile:

I'm not here to sway your decision. As you say, engineering is a great discipline with plenty of prospects, so paying off your student loan isn't much of an issue. But I can tell you more about Glasgow itself. It's a very social city, and one of the best things about the place is the people. The university is in the West End which is a beautiful area and it just takes a 5 minute subway to get into the city centre. It is amazing for student nightlife and has a great music scene.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Hey!

Definitely helpful. Great review about both unis. Knowing that both seem to be very good options I'll start thinking more about the uni life in each place, as you said. It's also important to be in a city where you fit in well. Thank you very much for all the advice given, I'll contact you if I have any question about the uni or the course!

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest