The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel biology unit 3 may 9th 2016

im struggling to answer some questions in this paper, like to compare the validity of the students results. what should i consider when comparing the validity of the students results to the given data in the question? (for eg jan 2012, Q1 part c) would really appreciate if someone could give me some helpful tips!!!
Original post by Nethmioysters
im struggling to answer some questions in this paper, like to compare the validity of the students results. what should i consider when comparing the validity of the students results to the given data in the question? (for eg jan 2012, Q1 part c) would really appreciate if someone could give me some helpful tips!!!

I don't have access to this past paper so I can't view the question. However, things to look out for when assessing the validity of student results are the experimental design (making sure all cofounding variables are minimised), sample size (is the sample size representative of the whole population), methods of recording results (margin on error, is it a subjective method, was it one student recording the results or a group of students). The experimental design and results can be compared to other experiments to assess the accuracy. The student can always repeat the experiment to minimise anomalys from affecting the data.

Also, I've moved this to the biology exams sub-forum where you should get more replies :smile:
Original post by Eloades11
I don't have access to this past paper so I can't view the question. However, things to look out for when assessing the validity of student results are the experimental design (making sure all cofounding variables are minimised), sample size (is the sample size representative of the whole population), methods of recording results (margin on error, is it a subjective method, was it one student recording the results or a group of students). The experimental design and results can be compared to other experiments to assess the accuracy. The student can always repeat the experiment to minimise anomalys from affecting the data.

Also, I've moved this to the biology exams sub-forum where you should get more replies :smile:

Oh great thanks! but here's a link to the paper and the mark scheme. what the mark scheme is trying to say for that question really bugs me. so would you mind taking a look and explain it to me, if u really dnt mind?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending