The Student Room Group

Help!! What career?

Hello guys, I'm in a dilemma. I currently do these three A-levels, History, Politics and Philosophy. I'm really unsure on what career path I should take and what degree I should do? I wanted to do law previously but its way too competitive for an average student like me. Thanks :smile:
Better chose a STEM subject or half of TSR will rage at you.
Reply 2
Original post by RezzBerry
Better chose a STEM subject or half of TSR will rage at you.

lol I wish but I'm not smart enough for that haha.
Reply 3
What do you mean by average? What are your grades like? Have you considered doing something politics/history/philosophy related at uni then doing a law conversion?
Original post by sarskinz
Hello guys, I'm in a dilemma. I currently do these three A-levels, History, Politics and Philosophy. I'm really unsure on what career path I should take and what degree I should do? I wanted to do law previously but its way too competitive for an average student like me. Thanks :smile:

Well there are degrees in each of those subjects and there are joint degrees with those subjects.

B.A.s in:
- History
- Politics
- Philosophy

Joint honours B.A.s in:
- History and Politics
- Politics and Philosophy
- History and Philosophy
- and so on.

I wouldn't worry about doing Law, a lot of firms will gladly take on non-law students and provide the necessary funds to do the conversion course as well as the legal practice course. In fact at most good law firms the split between non-law to law is usually 50:50 in new intakes.

As for careers, the good thing about the grad job landscape in the UK is that 80% of the grad jobs available out there don't require a specific degree which means a whole host of roles and industries are available to you as a humanities grad.

The important thing, however, is to make the most of your time outside of academia to keep yourself as competitive as possible for these jobs. This means get stuck into volunteering, be looking for work experience opportunities, develop your leadership skills by organising/coordinating things, cultivate your outside interests in the form of extra curricular activities etc.

Examples of careers would be: law (solicitor/barrister), finance (investment banking, securities research, asset management, sales/trading), HR, public relations, teaching, publishing, journalism, politics, consulting (management/strategy/IT), accounting, general sales, marketing, uni lecturing, general management etc.

There's a lot more, but these are what come to mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending