The Student Room Group

Parent died

I really can't believe it, my friends dad died yesterday 💔 and the first exam is on Monday re. I told her to phone the school today and she tried and they didn't answer and she's obviously grieving how is she meant to focus like am so shocked at the death as well, it's so sad. She hasn't slept all night at all she's just really upset like I don't even know. Do you guys have any suggestions on what we could do?
she should ask for extenuating circumstances. It's not fair on her to take exams while she is grieving for a lost one, she is not in the right state of mind to do well.

(If contacting the school by phone is not working, she should try contacting the school's exam officer directly, or one of her teachers)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by rebeccamaria
I really can't believe it, my friends dad died yesterday 💔 and the first exam is on Monday re. I told her to phone the school today and she tried and they didn't answer and she's obviously grieving how is she meant to focus like am so shocked at the death as well, it's so sad. She hasn't slept all night at all she's just really upset like I don't even know. Do you guys have any suggestions on what we could do?

She needs to contact the school - she will be able to get extenuating circumstances. However, she will only get 5 per cent extra for the fact that she is grieving the recent death of an immediate family member - it would be better for her to not sit the exam, as because she is grieving it will not be fair nor a true reflection of her abilities.

She could try emailing teachers at their home. If all else fails, she can phone on Monday and speak to the exams officer then. They'll be able to help - she doesn't have the sit the exam.
My dad died the week before my English and maths exams in yr10. I got As so didn't have to resist but was given the option to and was told that if my grades had turned out **** colleges would have used my predicted grades instead due to my mitigating circumstances.
Your friend is likely in a really **** place right now so try to be as supportive as possible and help her out in whatever way you can.

Omg Rebecca send me j's number x
For AQA, and other exam boards, you can send a letter off applying for 'special consideration'. This can add 1%-5% to your grade, it would be 5% in this case. I have a member of the family predicted to pass away in a few days :frown: My mum contacted the school to apply for this, and my exams officer said it's worth sending off a letter, however, he said I would only get a bonus grade if I was predicted A* and then got a D or something, which isn't going to happen. I'm not sure if he's right though.

Sorry for your friends loss :frown:
Reply 6

why 'we'?
Original post by Dammio
why 'we'?

Because she's a good friend who feels inclined to accept responsibility in providing emotional support at this particular instance.
Reply 8
Original post by shawn_o1
x

x

my brother died a few weeks ago, we were very close, didn't really fight, he was kind of my idol and he was just great at, like, everything..
it still feels very weird saying that, but there. It's true.

I'm well into my GCSEs now, and although I've applied for extenuating circumstances, there's not much it'll do.

Just make sure you're there for her, and assure her that she will be okay. Best of luck.

Just want to say I really do feel for her; my uncle died recently and I was devastated, I can't imagine how she feels. She should get 5% and there's no point doing the exam. Try to tell her that life does go on and he probably wanted her to well exams, so she needs to try as hard as possible. Try not to talk about it? Maybe invite her to stay with you and do some fun things to get her mind off of it.
Original post by celloel
She needs to contact the school - she will be able to get extenuating circumstances. However, she will only get 5 per cent extra for the fact that she is grieving the recent death of an immediate family member - it would be better for her to not sit the exam, as because she is grieving it will not be fair nor a true reflection of her abilities.

She could try emailing teachers at their home. If all else fails, she can phone on Monday and speak to the exams officer then. They'll be able to help - she doesn't have the sit the exam.

5% is an actual rule?

OP she should decide whether she feels able to do the exam or not. Its a very big thing so imo it would be quite accpetable not to sit them. Agree with above and id seriously contemplate not sitting and doing them at a later date.

Presumably the school were aware if he was seriously ill or was it sudden?
People who she could contact
Exam officer, Headmaster, Form Teacher. Counselor.
E-mail or leave a message.

Try and tell her the exams dont matter and the above will be fine if she doesnt want to sit.

Horrible thing to happen.
I hope your friend manages to sort out her exams if I was in her place i wouldn't know what to do but I'm sure she is really greatful for all your support x

Quick Reply

Latest