The Student Room Group

Do I need to declare income?

Hello! I wil be applying for student finance and maintenance loan for my course starting in September 2024.

I understand I need to declare my parents and their partners' income on my application. But I am estranged from my biological father, and my mum unfortunately passed away a few months ago.

I still live with my mum's long-term boyfriend but will be living alone when I start my course. Do I still need to declare his income on my application? I understand this is a very niche scenario so I haven't been able to find a clear answer online.
Hi whatcameron,

You would be eligible to apply as an independent student, you would just need to upload a your mothers death certificate and your birth certificate to your account along with a letter from a 3rd party professional that can confirm that you are irreconcilably estranged (have no contact with) from your father and this will not change, along with the persons occupation, contact details and how long they have known you. Your mothers long term partner would not support your application.

https://logon.slc.co.uk

Thanks, Clare
Hi whatcameron,

I have replied to your other post.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi whatcameron,
You would be eligible to apply as an independent student, you would just need to upload a your mothers death certificate and your birth certificate to your account along with a letter from a 3rd party professional that can confirm that you are irreconcilably estranged (have no contact with) from your father and this will not change, along with the persons occupation, contact details and how long they have known you. Your mothers long term partner would not support your application.
https://logon.slc.co.uk
Thanks, Clare

Hi @SFE Clare! Thank you for your help.

I have sent through my application today. I was referred to a form that my 3rd party professional needs to fill in. I have a few questions:

1) Can this professional be my apprenticeship pathway planner? She is essentially a tutor. Marks my work, has catchup sessions, and knows me very well.
2) On the application, I was given two options to select. Either "Estranged from parents" or "The parent that would usually support my application has died". I selected the former, should I have selected the latter? Will this affect my application?
3) I was not prompted to upload a death certificate or a birth certificate. Should I upload this anyway?

Thank you for your time and I'm looking forward to hearing back from you 😊
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by whatcameron
Hi @SFE Clare! Thank you for your help.
I have sent through my application today. I was referred to a form that my 3rd party professional needs to fill in. I have a few questions:
1) Can this professional be my apprenticeship pathway planner? She is essentially a tutor. Marks my work, has catchup sessions, and knows me very well.
2) On the application, I was given two options to select. Either "Estranged from parents" or "The parent that would usually support my application has died". I selected the former, should I have selected the latter? Will this affect my application?
3) I was not prompted to upload a death certificate or a birth certificate. Should I upload this anyway?
Thank you for your time and I'm looking forward to hearing back from you 😊
Hi there

1) yes - as long as they state their profession then this information should be sufficient
2 + 3) if you upload a copy of their death certificate and a cover letter to your account advising you had meant to tick 'the parent that would typically support your application' just so this can be corrected and reviewed accordingly by an assessor. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending