The Student Room Group

National 5 Maths Exam 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
How low can the grade boundaries go? Lower than 34%?

I'm at about 32% by my calculations :redface:
I don't see how people found the exam that hard. Like it does not deserve to have a petition made out of it. I failed my prelim so i worked my ass off for the exam. People should focus more on working rather than trying to lower the grade boundaries because the exam was a little "challenging"
Reply 162
Original post by jackers789
I don't see how people found the exam that hard. Like it does not deserve to have a petition made out of it. I failed my prelim so i worked my ass off for the exam. People should focus more on working rather than trying to lower the grade boundaries because the exam was a little "challenging"

Same situation for me. I didn't find paper 1 hard at all apart from the two questions that baffled me a little, the 3D triangle where we had to use pythagoras to find the length and the very last question with the rectangle confused me a lot, the sketch the graph question confused me a little too, only those 3 but the rest were a piece of cake. Paper 2 was the standard for a calculator question despite the fact that paper 2 had mostly non-calculator questions in it. I think the SQA have done this intentionally to trip us up.
Original post by jj1814
How low can the grade boundaries go? Lower than 34%?

I'm at about 32% by my calculations :redface:

Is that your estimation of the final percentage for just the paper 1 or both ?
@sumteacherweb no longer exists for some strange reason, does anyone happen to have a copy of both papers (I didn't do nat 5 I did adv higher I just want to have a look at it)
Original post by jackers789

Do you happen to have a copy of the nat 5 paper? Or where I can find it? @sumteacherweb has been deleted so I don't know where it could be?
Reply 166
Original post by Ethan100
Is that your estimation of the final percentage for just the paper 1 or both ?

Both. I always do terrible on paper 2 so I was counting on a decent paper 1 to help :frown:
Original post by jj1814
Both. I always do terrible on paper 2 so I was counting on a decent paper 1 to help :frown:

Thats the same with me, Luckily I found Paper 2 pretty straight forward, a few clumsy mistakes but I think it saved my Paper 1 results.
Reply 168
Original post by Person556
@sumteacherweb no longer exists for some strange reason, does anyone happen to have a copy of both papers (I didn't do nat 5 I did adv higher I just want to have a look at it)

just search maths 2016 nat 5 solutions on google lol
Reply 169
You can just type it up on google it comes up on google images have a look
Reply 170
Original post by Person556

The SQA probably kidnapped him
DLBmaths on YouTube is has also started to upload the 2016 nat5 solutions
Original post by Higherdude
Anyone got the national 5 paper?

SumTeacher on Facebook posted paper 1 and paper 2 with all of the solutions :smile:
Reply 173
I have got a question, see if I worked out a question the way it was meant to be worked out but got it the wrong way round for example in the pythagoras question you had to divide 9 by 2 to get 4.5 but I accidentally divided 6.6 to get 3.3 then done 9 squared minus 3.3 squared and then square rooted the answer and then rounded my final answer, will I atleast get 1 mark for that + the diagram? also on the angle question I added 143 and the missing angle to get 180 and then subtracted 180-90 then subtracted that answer, will I get 1 mark out of the three? also on paper 1 prior to the sector question, I got the formula correct and then 45/360 and then I wrote 1/8 x 3.14 but I simplified 8 and 20 by dividing by 4 by accident when I shouldn't have, do I get the lowest mark for atleast showing some evidence?????:frown:(. I have answered all the questions and mixed up the two formulas for the triangle questions. In the end can the SQA award me at the least 1 mark out of the 3 for some working but the wrong answer at the end? :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Can somebody please watch this video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflhR8RUd-0

Its the 2nd last question from Paper 2 2016 Nat 5

I may be incorrect but isn't the final answer 4.8 + 6.6 (Not +9 as shown in the video).
Isn't it the radius of the circle which is from the centre to the circumference so it should be 6.6, right ?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 175
Can somebody please watch this video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflhR8RUd-0

Its the 2nd last question from Paper 2 2016 Nat 5

I may be incorrect but isn't the final answer 4.8 + 6.6 (Not +9 as shown in the video).
Isn't it the radius of the circle which is from the centre to the circumference so it should be 6.6, right ?

Thanks

It is meant to be 6.6cm added onto the 4.8cm you worked out using Pythagoras.
Original post by S_x_x
It is meant to be 6.6cm added onto the 4.8cm you worked out using Pythagoras.

Yeah thanks, I was wondering why he added 9.

How did you find the exam ? Good/Bad What do you think you will get?
Reply 177
Yeah thanks, I was wondering why he added 9.

How did you find the exam ? Good/Bad What do you think you will get?

Not too bad, but not great either. That paper 1 was absolutely nothing like what they put in the model papers for this session. I still don't understand that question in paper 1 about simplifying tan^2xcos^2x
Original post by S_x_x
Not too bad, but not great either. That paper 1 was absolutely nothing like what they put in the model papers for this session. I still don't understand that question in paper 1 about simplifying tan^2xcos^2x

I just had quite a lot of silly mistakes, By looking at the paper solutions and harshly marking it I think I got 25/50, I got 32/40 in my prelim but I just wasn't expecting that Paper, anyway I did great in paper 2.
Reply 179
I just had quite a lot of silly mistakes, By looking at the paper solutions and harshly marking it I think I got 25/50, I got 32/40 in my prelim but I just wasn't expecting that Paper, anyway I did great in paper 2.

I think paper 2 saved most people's mark. It's stupid how the SQA responded to the petitions by saying that the paper was the right standards for N5.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending