The Student Room Group

AS Official Economics A Unit 1: Introduction to markets and market failure - 16th May

Scroll to see replies

Overall i think you (and me) should consider ourselves lucky. Were the first cohort to go through these exams, that dosent mean the boundries are going to be low, however the examiners would be slighlty generous, as you know its hard to know whats right and wrong. Its not like the stars are gonna fall to the ground, the boundries would be 1/2 marks lower then before, which makes a signifcant differnece on how many students fit in each grade boundary bracket. Next year, for the current year 11'S who will being going into year 12 it will be diffuclt, as there would be more preperation and information to go by, on marks/structure etc. Tbh they would be prepared as they are on the newer harder GCSE so no prob. For us itll be slighlty simpler. :smile:
Original post by Starmock99
Yes AQA. I didnt notice any box too .. :/

is this for context 1 or 2?
I didn't notice either we should be ok

Meh, surely they realize that some kids would've missed it. The teachers should've pointed it out to us, I'd say.

If they do it so that some teachers know one extract by heart, and others know the other extract, then surely they'll have a look at the paper which wasn't noted down as either context and note it themselves and pass it on.
Original post by p.lal.22

I did context 2.. people were saying there was a box to shade but I didn't see
Does anyone remember any multiple choice questions ??
Original post by Caius Filimon
If it's AQA you might have wanted to define an economics term :/

It's Edexcel. I know that's what I did. But I used the word instead of inexhaUstible :tongue:
Original post by Kkpolice
Overall i think you (and me) should consider ourselves lucky. Were the first cohort to go through these exams, that dosent mean the boundries are going to be low, however the examiners would be slighlty generous, as you know its hard to know whats right and wrong. Its not like the stars are gonna fall to the ground, the boundries would be 1/2 marks lower then before, which makes a signifcant differnece on how many students fit in each grade boundary bracket. Next year, for the current year 11'S who will being going into year 12 it will be diffuclt, as there would be more preperation and information to go by, on marks/structure etc. Tbh they would be prepared as they are on the newer harder GCSE so no prob. For us itll be slighlty simpler. :smile:

I see. That's quite good; I do hate the fact that one should prepare for the exam itself in terms of exam technique instead of just knowing and understanding the stuff fully.

So in other words, most kids who've prepped heavily for this would likely be thrown off, while those who are actually good at the subject will do better (by comparison if nothing else) because they don't depend on previous experience as much, but just knowledge.

Although I suppose that my A level in a couple weeks time will be the old one and not the new one as this AS level was, right?

Usually I've no knowledge of the exam structure or w/e and I just learn the theory and apply it in the exam, so I might seem a bit aloof
Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme? I did context 2, context 1 looked impossible.
Original post by gmahapatra
Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme? I did context 2, context 1 looked impossible.

I'm getting really anxious about being the only kid who did context 1 v.v I sure hope the examiners will feel kind due to that :tongue:
Sh*t! I didn't notice the box either.
wait just to clarify the box was on context 2 of the aqa exam? what was it actually asking us to shade? cos it seems like most people didn't see it
Not sure.. students in my class said there was a little circle thing you had to shade like in the mc, but I didn't see anything
wait just to clarify the box was on context 2 of the aqa exam? what was it actually asking us to shade? cos it seems like most people didn't see it
Not sure if that's sarcasm? From what I've seen and heard about (From my teachers who've been AQA examiners for nearly 20 years!) it seems like at least this year grade boundaries are going to be minutely lower than other years.
Of course, it's a given that knowledge and understanding are the large chunks of your answers, but, is it better to tell the examiner everything you know sporadically, or give him/her the bulk of the knowledge in a clear and concise way? This year, just to aid the process, and clear up the misconceptions people have about 'first-year exams' boundaries would be lower so all students can be successful.

The purpose of the reforms was precisely to reduce gradeflation, be harder to , and split those who are 'good', and those who are 'excellent'; next years kids are gonna have it tough.

(Also of course youll get marked if you missed the context box, that's just there to organise and allocate papers easier, most likely case is that if its not marked, someone ( a human) would look at where youve put your answers and put the paper where required.

phone your school now guys just did it any their trying to sort it
That's what I thought
i just looked at the spec paper to see the box you had to shade. i dont think it will matter if you didnt shade it, they will check which one you did and mark that. don't think there is anything to worry about
Attempted Mark scheme:
cba to do multiple choice tbh
Context 1:
( 3 marks ) - misallocation of resources as a result of an attempt by a government to correct market failure....
( 4 marks ) - calculation = 1751 or 1750 ( not sure if you round or not )
( 4 marks ) - Two points of comparison:
populus increased overall whereas houses built didnt.
populus had higher peak
populus range was bigger
+ any others
( 4 mark ) - maximum price
below equilibrium, arrows to show contraction and extension, labelled curves and axis
( 10 mark ) - Perfect comp
no barriers
infinite suppliers met by demand
equal information
price takers
small market share
identical products
+ im sure there are other, generally explain idea that there is no power and acts off rational decisions.
( 25 mark ) - Housing and gov intervention
General Structure ( wasnt sure at first ) :
intro ( why we should or shouldnt ) ( housing is near enough a neccessity )
3 or more points : Why the intervention is neccessary how it work
Evaluation ( diagram )
Failure
Relevant point :
Supplying info to consumers
subsidies
maximum prices
investment ( increase of supply to meet demand )
encourage building ( rewards and incentive for producers )
collective housing ( living with friends )
less restriction on no housing areas.

Didnt to context 2 sorry. Tough exam though i thought.
There was a box I checked on the specimen paper.. But I guess it doesnt matter that much, Im sure theres many people that didnt see it as that was at the start of context 1 ! Its all goood!

Quick Reply

Latest