The Student Room Group

New Spec AQA AS Level Economics Paper 1 - 16th of May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
For the increased price to consumers imposed by a monopoly question: The quantity drops from V to W and price increases from R to S. The consumers save VW times the original price (so WYUV on the diagram) but spend an extra W times the new price (so RSTY on the diagram). Therefore the correct answer was D: RSTY minus WYUV.

As for the last question, the answer was D: equitable distribution of income is a value judgement.
Reply 61
Original post by Pussy King
Can anyone remember the answer to the multiple choice question about labour productivity?

It was A, the one about output falling at a slower rate than the fall in workers. Productivity is units produced / number of workers, so if units and workers both fall, but workers fall by a bigger amount than units, then productivity has risen.
Original post by jamie5s
For the increased price to consumers imposed by a monopoly question: The quantity drops from V to W and price increases from R to S. The consumers save VW times the original price (so WYUV on the diagram) but spend an extra W times the new price (so RSTY on the diagram). Therefore the correct answer was D: RSTY minus WYUV.

As for the last question, the answer was D: equitable distribution of income is a value judgement.

Thats not true, its a positive statement, as it can be tested against the facts.
Reply 63
Original post by jamie5s

Yeah you're wrong dude, whether the distribution of income is equitable can be tested against facts, so it is a positive statement and thereby aswer B is correct.
Reply 64
Original post by aschum11
Yeah you're wrong dude, whether the distribution of income is equitable can be tested against facts, so it is a positive statement and thereby aswer B is correct.

No, equity is a measure of fairness, so it can't be tested against facts. EQUALITY can be tested against facts.
Original post by jamie5s
No, equity is a measure of fairness, so it can't be tested against facts. EQUALITY can be tested against facts.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people I asked put B
Reply 66
That doesn't mean it's right ... :biggrin:

It's only 1 mark anyway so not a big deal overall.
Original post by jamie5s
That doesn't mean it's right ... :biggrin:

It's only 1 mark anyway so not a big deal overall.

Yeah that's true, but the multiple choice was a lot harder then the (few) specimen papers they put up
Reply 68
Original post by Varun127
Yeah that's true, but the multiple choice was a lot harder then the (few) specimen papers they put up

Definitely. I thought this was harder than any of the specimen papers or than the old style papers. You know how there were always two obviously wrong answers and then you had to choose between two nearly right answers? Well I thought it was really hard to find the right answer from the remaining two!

Maybe the grade boundaries will be lower.
Original post by jamie5s
Definitely. I thought this was harder than any of the specimen papers or than the old style papers. You know how there were always two obviously wrong answers and then you had to choose between two nearly right answers? Well I thought it was really hard to find the right answer from the remaining two!

Maybe the grade boundaries will be lower.

Exactly, but doesnt the final ums have to be 80 percent, or can that be lower?
Reply 70
Original post by Varun127
Exactly, but doesnt the final ums have to be 80 percent, or can that be lower?

So the UMS is based on how "hard" the paper is, which is why a different score each year can give the same UMS. But the UMS value for each grade is the same, so 80 UMS is an A, 70 is a B. I think!
Reply 71
Original post by jamie5s
So the UMS is based on how "hard" the paper is, which is why a different score each year can give the same UMS. But the UMS value for each grade is the same, so 80 UMS is an A, 70 is a B. I think!

What do you reckon the grade boundaries will be?
Original post by jamie5s

Oh right that sort of makes sense :P
Reply 73
Original post by SANTR
What do you reckon the grade boundaries will be?

I wish I knew!!!
This is the first paper sat, boundaries will be completed usually by the end of July and publish by August.
I honestly don't know. I wouldn't worry now, there is nothing you can do about it. Revision for macro should be the priority.
Reply 76
any predictions for macro?
also do you think they will make macro slightly easier due to micro supposedly being slightly more challenging?
Original post by tamcat
any predictions for macro?
also do you think they will make macro slightly easier due to micro supposedly being slightly more challenging?

One paper has nothing to do with the other. You shouldn't rely on predictions, just revise and make sure your exam technique for answering long answer questions is good.
Reply 78

are you doing economics b?
Original post by jamie5s

I put that as well. At first I put it was a positive statement. Then I thought that it cant really be tested and its a matter of opinion so I put the other one. Which one do you think is right?

Quick Reply

Latest