The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thelegend99
Wasn't the Modulus 5? Cause the imaginary part was 0, and the real part was (-5). :/ not sure now.

not sure, i think z = -1 + 2i or something, so it was pythag on that for root 1^2 +2^ hence root 5
for the show that the point A is (-5/p + 5p, 5/p -5p), I started to try and solve for x, but got stuck, but did most of the correct method for it until right at the end I couldn't get rid of one constant, but used their value of X to find y, how many marks out of the 3 would this get me?
Definitely harder than usual, but not impossible.

Here are a few of my answers that I can remember:

k=+/2/2k = +/-\sqrt2/2
a = 38, b = 15, c = 1
p = -4, q = 8 (there was more than one question with p and q)
135 degrees anticlockwise
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Anyone remember how many marks the last two parts of 9 were worth?

Think I lost all them marks but got the rest the paper

For the first proof by induction is it alright if I didn't do the step shown in the pic?

1463740632449.jpg

Both were 3 marks
first question, k was +-1/root2
for the newton raphson, it was 12.468 (I think)
I remember p was -4 and q was 8 in one question.
For the matrix transformation I put 135 degrees anticlockwise
for x co-ordinate of M I got 15root2/4 or 15/2root2
Mod z I got root5, argZ I got 2.03
cant remember any more..
Does anyone know if there's an unofficial mark scheme? I know my teachers said they can't see it until tomorrow
Original post by veldt127
Very reasonable paper, I would expect standard boundaries

f*** you
Original post by LewisClothier
not sure, i think z = -1 + 2i or something, so it was pythag on that for root 1^2 +2^ hence root 5

I also got z = -1 + 2i, so |z| = 5\sqrt5 :smile:

For the first proof by induction is it alright if I didn't do the step shown in the pic?

1463740632449.jpg

I did the exact same as you on the induction, realised it needed to be -2k -3 to be able to be factorised to (k+1)^2 for it to cancel with the bottom, just didn't write out that step, let's hope that's fine!
Original post by ombtom
Definitely harder than usual, but not impossible.

Here are a few of my answers that I can remember:

k=+/2/2k = +/-\sqrt2/2
a = 38, b = 15, c = 1
p = -4, q = 8 (there was more than one question with p and q)
135 degrees anticlockwise

Few I got that :smile:
How did you guys get a number as the midpoint I got 5p-1/2p
How do you prove T is self inverse? Was detT = -1
I did the exact same as you on the induction, realised it needed to be -2k -3 to be able to be factorised to (k+1)^2 for it to cancel with the bottom, just didn't write out that step, let's hope that's fine!

I did that as well! I got so confused as I don't know if you can do that. Hopefully we'll get the marks though
Original post by Zonaid Zaki
k=5

How? It's the first time i've seen such a question.
Do we get any marks for error carried forward? (So if we got the wrong value for a but used our value correctly on the questions after)
Original post by Person18
I did that as well! I got so confused as I don't know if you can do that. Hopefully we'll get the marks though

Mathematically it is correct. I just don't know if the examiners want that step that we missed out.
Original post by ombtom
I also got z = -1 + 2i, so |z| = 5\sqrt5 :smile:

awesome, i just saw someone put 2.03, but it's 2.23, i think they just remembered it wrong

1463740632449.jpg

5 marks each, 10 marks all together, got all 10 marks lol but took me ages after my mind was destroyed in the last question
Original post by AhnafR
How do you prove T is self inverse? Was detT = -1

Yes, it was -1. You just had to find the inverse matrix and say that it was the same, i.e. R^-1 = R .'. self-inverse.
awesome, i just saw someone put 2.03, but it's 2.23, i think they just remembered it wrong

2.03 was the arg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending