The Student Room Group

What do undergrad students do over the summer?

Hi, first of all sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm unfamiliar with this forum.

I was wondering what other students who finished their first year are doing/planning on doing/did over summer. I was planning to find an internship, but I left it way too late so I wont get one now.

Is it worth just getting a job over summer now? I don't really need the money because I'm fortunate enough to have my parents support me, but would general work experience (e.g - at Saino's or something) be useful in applying for a placement year?
I heard from my uni that only 54% of people get onto one so I'm trying to everything to maximise that at the moment.
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
Hi, first of all sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I'm unfamiliar with this forum.

I was wondering what other students who finished their first year are doing/planning on doing/did over summer. I was planning to find an internship, but I left it way too late so I wont get one now.

Is it worth just getting a job over summer now? I don't really need the money because I'm fortunate enough to have my parents support me, but would general work experience (e.g - at Saino's or something) be useful in applying for a placement year?
I heard from my uni that only 54% of people get onto one so I'm trying to everything to maximise that at the moment.

If you dont have any general work experience then it would be good to get a few months of it but past that its not really important unless its relevant to the field you would apply to internships in

from what I have seen students in the summer tend get (one/two) of the following general part time jobs, internships, research placements, holidays, travelling, learning things outside of there course modules (I did this by starting to develop my coding ability more) , nothing, and partying
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
sleep?

****?
I travelled across the US, then next year went back to California. This year I'm hoping to go to Indonesia. I usually work for a few months of the holidays too.
Work or volunteer.

Honestly if 54% of people at your uni get placements that is unprecedentedly high, I'd guess most struggle to get above 10%. If it was 54% who applied for were signed up for year in industry and got year long placements then I could see that maybe happening.
Reply 5
For me
gym, rest & holiday, some preparation/reading for year 2
If you dont need money, then internship to help with c areer or just travel if you have the funds.
Original post by 999tigger
If you dont need money, then internship to help with c areer or just travel if you have the funds.

Are theyre unpaid internships? the only ones I have ever seen are paid
Original post by madmadmax321
Are theyre unpaid internships? the only ones I have ever seen are paid

If you have a career in mind then you can do something that would enhance it. cant be hard to figure out something. Do some research. not everything needs to be handed to you in a nice shiny internship package. Do some research.
Original post by madmadmax321
If you dont have any general work experience then it would be good to get a few months of it but past that its not really important unless its relevant to the field you would apply to internships in

from what I have seen students in the summer tend get (one/two) of the following general part time jobs, internships, research placements, holidays, travelling, learning things outside of there course modules (I did this by starting to develop my coding ability more) , nothing, and partying

Cheers for the response. I think I'm going to work on my own programming project and build up my portfolio while I have time rather then getting a job now. I've heard that's really useful for my line of study.

Original post by hezzlington
I travelled across the US, then next year went back to California. This year I'm hoping to go to Indonesia. I usually work for a few months of the holidays too.

That sounds really fun. While my parents are happy to fund my existence during uni, I really don't think they'll fund me travelling around :lol:
I wouldn't be able to save that amount of money for this holiday season.

Original post by 999tigger

I think it's too late to apply to internships unfortunately, i don't have the funds to travel either. I'm just going to work on a personal project to put on my portfolio.
Cheers for the response. I think I'm going to work on my own programming project and build up my portfolio while I have time rather then getting a job now. I've heard that's really useful for my line of study.

That sounds really fun. While my parents are happy to fund my existence during uni, I really don't think they'll fund me travelling around :lol:
I wouldn't be able to save that amount of money for this holiday season.

I think it's too late to apply to internships unfortunately, i don't have the funds to travel either. I'm just going to work on a personal project to put on my portfolio.

I'm very fortunate because I get free business class flights, but I save and work during term time and over summer too :smile:

Sounds like you've got a good plan, but just thought I'd add that getting a placement isn't necessarily that helpful. I think universities like the idea of it, mine in particular ships nearly everyone off on placement. Yet two of my close friends who decided to not to do one, got job offers for a good computer engineering firm months before we'd even finished. Doing well on your degree is priority, internship&extra research over summer I'd say is more important than the one year placement. Just my opinion, but food for thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tedward
Sounds like you've got a good plan, but just thought I'd add that getting a placement isn't necessarily that helpful. I think universities like the idea of it, mine in particular ships nearly everyone off on placement. Yet two of my close friends who decided to not to do one, got job offers for a good computer engineering firm months before we'd even finished. Doing well on your degree is priority, internship&extra research over summer I'd say is more important than the one year placement. Just my opinion, but food for thought.

Thanks, I'll definitely bear that in mind and research about it a bit more. I always assumed they were really useful because of the experience they give you.
This summer project definitely seems like a good idea in that case then, so I think I'll spend the next 2 months working on something I can show off :yep:
Cheers again.
Enjoy life. You are only young once and work is for the rest of your life. Travel if you can and see the world, make new friends and party . Have a great time.
Original post by Kutie Karen
Enjoy life. You are only young once and work is for the rest of your life. Travel if you can and see the world, make new friends and party . Have a great time.

I'd love to go travelling and party, but I'm afraid I dont have the funds for it :lol:
I do enjoy my work tho, so for me doing something in my field and having fun aren't exclusive

Hello :smile:

For most people after first year, the first summer is absolutely boring. A lot of people are going home because they can't move into their student houses yet and are returning to move home. Most people do work or gain some sort of experience and go on various camps etc.

I'd suggest working - it's all well and good that your parents support you but it's so more satisfying earning your own money and if you build some money up you can save it for various things and live comfortably. If not, I'd suggest getting some work experience to support you in the long run.
Gonna try and lose some extra weight I put on in exam season. Try and get a job, but looks highly unlikely. And of course, rest and spend my summer in bed being so antisocial!
Summer after first and second year, I was in China for my year abroad. Summer after third year I volunteered in China teaching English to primary school children for a month then went travelling in Japan. This year I'm graduating and have a teaching job lined up
they parti

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending