The Student Room Group

Cie igcse english literature (0486)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by metellaest
Which prose and poetry are you doing?

Poetry: do the question where a single poem is printed and you answer a question based on (I'd recommend)

Discuss the themes of the poem, stylistic structures, sound devices, literary device, etc...

Write four-five paragraphs, each with a topic sentence: eg, "The writer uses the structure of the extended metaphor in 'To Marguerite' to discuss the human condition" etc

I'd say base each paragraph on a theme/idea, but that's up to you

Make sure you have a shortish, snappy, concise introduction that sets the tone for your answer, and a compelling conclusion.

Prose: two choices - generalised essay question based on a theme or a character, or an in depth analysis of an extract printed for you.
In my personal experience, go for the generalised essay question, but you do have to know some quotes!

Pretty much the same structure as poetry, just explore things like motivations, themes, characters, interactions, events in the novel instead...

Hope that helped!

(Spend 45 mins on each)

Thanks for this!!!

I'm doing Poems Deep and Dangerous, and Jekyll and Hyde.

You are a life saver! :smile:
Original post by metellaest
Hey :smile:

I'm doing a different poetry set, but our teacher said there would be two questions to pick from: one where they give you a poem with a question and you write an essay, and one where they give you two poems and ask you to compare something in them, but they don't really mean compare? It's confusing, so I'm planning on going with the straightforward one-poem-one-answer thing...

Ah i understand dont worry. Kinda sucks they dont give you two poems to choose from though so u could just analyse one out of the two (kinda like gow u choose one of two different questions in rs). Thanks anyway
Original post by GreenDucks
Thanks for this!!!

No problem! Not doing Jekyll and Hyde so I don't know about doing the extract question rather than the generalised question on that, but I am doing Poems Deep and Dangerous!

I'm praying that "Shall I Compare Thee..." doesn't come up...eugh...

Good luck! Let me know if there's anything else confusing you...
Original post by GreenDucks
Thanks for this!!!

No problem - bear in mind that there are two types of question for poetry, so you can go for the other if you want!

Also - best tip is to make sure you structure your time properly! Spend a few minutes planning before you sit down to write...

And quotes quotes quotes if you can..
Original post by B1uescorpion
There are two options- pretty sure the comparing option is the old specification. All the 2015 papers have two single poem options. :smile:

Oh my god thank you. This is exam will be calm then
Hope everyone found the exam okay :smile:
Reply 106
i did marriage of true minds and the spies extract question.

for poetry, the two that i didn´t like came up :frown:
spies was kinda okay i guess....it was kind off difficult to pick up points, i did sexual awakening, the privet thing and social class idea (this portrays his feelings)

how did everyone else find it?
what will the grade boundaries be like for an B ,A, A*?

xx
Ugh the poems. So excited for clod and the pebble until i realised it was a comparison. 😑 did tiger in the menagerie. Hate this. And the extract for no longer at ease was so bad. Oh well... im just glad english is subjective
did anyone else do Hardy and I'm the King of the Castle?
silasmarnerkilledmewhoevenispriscilla:mad::frown:
Original post by ndk123
i did marriage of true minds and the spies extract question.

for poetry, the two that i didn´t like came up :frown:
spies was kinda okay i guess....it was kind off difficult to pick up points, i did sexual awakening, the privet thing and social class idea (this portrays his feelings)

how did everyone else find it?
what will the grade boundaries be like for an B ,A, A*?

xx

I did spies as well, I did about the vocabulary and the use of emotive language, the structure of the passage (short lines) and then how it was about him becoming older
I thought it was pretty good! Did Football After School and the Spies essay question...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did Football After School and I'm the King of the castle, but there was so much to write, I needed more time, How many pages did people write in total? I wrote about 6
Found that exam great!!
Songs of Ourselves comparison question was a gift; couldn't have asked for more than the Clod and the Pebble & Song.
Spies essay question was nice too, extract looked hard though - couldn't really be bothered to read that whole extract...
Original post by simplestudent101
I did Football After School and I'm the King of the castle, but there was so much to write, I needed more time, How many pages did people write in total? I wrote about 6

I did the im the king of the castle passage question and i wrote 2 and a half pages for it
Original post by Milzime

Yep
I was really pleased about the poems that came up!
At first I look at clod and the pebble and was happy and saw that it was with Song which I hate, but when I turned the page I was super excited that Tiger in the Menagerie came up! It's my absolute favourite out of all 14 poems and the question was very nice.

Both of the Jekyll and Hyde questions were meh. I did the essay one because I generally prefer those but neither question was great or terrible.
Original post by Milzime

I did I'm the king of the castle! And poems deep and dangerous. Did you do extract or whole text wuestion?
Reply 118
I did love and the clod and pebble question, but I only talked about clod as I misread the question. How many marks do you think i'll be penalized?
Original post by TheBirder
I was really pleased about the poems that came up!
At first I look at clod and the pebble and was happy and saw that it was with Song which I hate, but when I turned the page I was super excited that Tiger in the Menagerie came up! It's my absolute favourite out of all 14 poems and the question was very nice.

Both of the Jekyll and Hyde questions were meh. I did the essay one because I generally prefer those but neither question was great or terrible.

The passage based question was terrible. There was literally no close language analysis to do and no literary devices. It was an absolute nightmare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending