The Student Room Group

OCR Twenty First Century Science Physics P1-7 *Official Thread 2016*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by KatK2014
what were the grade boundaries last year?(or any year really)

40/60 for an A* I think

Original post by bmgaic
8.8 light years and 0.148 or something

I put those too

Original post by bmgaic
I remember it went down to 33/60 one time

Well let's hope that happens again then
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bmgaic
2015: 40/60 for an A*
2014: 41/60 for an A*

I remember it went down to 33/60 one time

thanks
Wasn't that just LOVELY?

I wasn't surprised to see parallax as the idea behind it is P1, but the calculation was unexpected. The tick box answers were all too often misleading and imo a bit petty.

The last question was just :s-smilie:!

For the intensity thing I put that it was important for safety to make sure that all of the room was well lit up, but that was a last-ditch guess.
Original post by katk2014
what were the grade boundaries for last year?(or any year really)

did the higher p1-2-3

2015:
A* = 40/60
a = 33/60
b = 26/60
c = 20/60
Reply 104
Original post by Ben.M
Well let's hope that happens again then

That would be great :wink:
Reply 105
Original post by emmald583
Wasn't that just LOVELY?

For the intensity thing I put that it was important for safety to make sure that all of the room was well lit up, but that was a last-ditch guess.

Yes such a lovely paper...

I put something like that
Reply 106
Original post by bmgaic
That would be great :wink:

Well apparently one year 12/60 was a C on a chemistry paper so it could happen
Reply 107
The tick box answers were all too often misleading and imo a bit petty.

I was thinking the same for some of them, including the digital/analogue waves about how noise affects it (it does affect both, but digital can be cleaned up)

The last question was just :s-smilie:!.

The last question - the 6 marker about different primary fuel sources?
Wasn't that just LOVELY?

I wasn't surprised to see parallax as the idea behind it is P1, but the calculation was unexpected. The tick box answers were all too often misleading and imo a bit petty.

The last question was just :s-smilie:!

I found it hard too :s-smilie: I didn't mind the last question, it was probably my favourite overall. What did you say for the sedimentary rock? I talked about magnetism, not sure if that's right. I hated the tick boxes too and they were supposed to be easy :/ ah well at least we have p456 *sighs*
[QUOTE="bmgaic;65164343"]8.8 light years and 0.148 or something[/QUOTEif
If the angle was half wouldn't you half the number of light years? T
Reply 110
Original post by 11207ymir
If the angle was half wouldn't you half the number of light years? T

It was inversely proportional, so if one was halved the other would be multiplied by two.
Hi guys, I have made a thread on the 7's so nearer the time you can check it out. Good luck! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4115407
Original post by Ella_08
I found it hard too :s-smilie: I didn't mind the last question, it was probably my favourite overall. What did you say for the sedimentary rock? I talked about magnetism, not sure if that's right. I hated the tick boxes too and they were supposed to be easy :/ ah well at least we have p456 *sighs*

Original post by bmgaic
I was thinking the same for some of them, including the digital/analogue waves about how noise affects it (it does affect both, but digital can be cleaned up)

The last question - the 6 marker about different primary fuel sources?

I agree with you on the affecting both, that's what I out (but I feel like I might have over complicated it?)

Yes, the last 6 mark - I found it quite hard to make a range of points that fitted the implications they wanted :frown:

For the sedimentary rock, I said that the different coloured layers indicated they were made of different stuff which would have taken a while blah de blah, and also that the distortion of the bottom rock was caused by pressure from the rock forming above over millions of years. Didn't revise sedimentary rocks so not sure?
Reply 113
Yes, the last 6 mark - I found it quite hard to make a range of points that fitted the implications they wanted :frown:

I thought it was a general question, maybe I didn't read it correctly. I just gave problems arising from different uses of primary fuels, and that increased demand would probably lead to more use of fossil fuels etc.
Original post by bmgaic
I wasn't sure what to put for that. What did you put?

Yeahh I wasn't sure either, I just said that to ensure the whole room is bright enough for them to see everything... Doubt that's right but hey it could be.
Original post by bmgaic
I thought it was a general question, maybe I didn't read it correctly. I just gave problems arising from different uses of primary fuels, and that increased demand would probably lead to more use of fossil fuels etc.

I'm pretty sure you're right, and I said something similar as well as talking about renewables - the whole thing about sustainability and environmental impact threw me a bit though.
Original post by bmgaic
8.8 light years and 0.148 or something

Yep I got that.
Reply 117
I'm pretty sure you're right, and I said something similar as well as talking about renewables - the whole thing about sustainability and environmental impact threw me a bit though.

Oh right yeah I remember now.

For sustainability I put:
renewable energy won't run out, therefore more sustainable in the long term whereas non-renewable will eventually run out; renewable being less efficient in general, not much else I put about that...

For environmental impact:
talking about different fuels and release of greenhouse gases, nuclear wastes, etc.

Original post by kennethdcharles
Yeahh I wasn't sure either, I just said that to ensure the whole room is bright enough for them to see everything... Doubt that's right but hey it could be.

Damn, I was about to put that but instead talked about being more efficient and so less lamps need as everywhere is lit up :redface: Not sure what I was doing, but the rest of the 6 marker was fine.
Reply 118
Hai just gonna post all the answers I got
First 6 marker i didnt understand why the layers were distorted but was told it was because you get more pressure on the rocks below or something but i explained how sedimentwry rock was formed properly
The p wave was 8km/s
s wave 4 km/s
the x was on either side east of the circle because it was 100km fromcboth i think
i forgot what was next but parallaxx i got
the angle was too small to draw and light year too large

8.8 Light Years becausw inversely proportional so half of 0.74 would make double 4.4
Then i got 0.148, u double 0.74 and divide it by 10 (do opposite to 4.4 so 4.4/2 * 10)
i said that distances are too far away to detect it and planets dont emit as much radiation as stars
uhm forgot other questions but 2nd six marker was fine tbh it was like my physics coursework inversely proportional thing and photoms spread out and intensity is the amoint of photons reading a square metre per secone then i said the suitable power is 308 because it was 150 = (307.2 * 20)/6.4^2
uhm for the digital and analogue i got
digital was and 1
digital can be superimposed by electromagnetic wave
analogue was noise disruotion
both can be processed by computer's
both can do images and pictures
for the scientific or not i forgot the statements but i did 3 non scientfic two scientific
for the sankee diagrams i got CBA because coal has mosrt waste uranium has 2nd most waste and oil? has least i figured that out thanks to currents and the one with highest xurrent was coal with 58
uhm for radiation and irradiatipn i said
reprocrssing centre : both
power station: irradiation
then uhm last one i wrote way too much to remember
Original post by LokiiR
Hai just gonna post all the answers I got
First 6 marker i didnt understand why the layers were distorted but was told it was because you get more pressure on the rocks below or something but i explained how sedimentwry rock was formed properly
The p wave was 8km/s
s wave 4 km/s
the x was on either side east of the circle because it was 100km fromcboth i think
i forgot what was next but parallaxx i got
the angle was too small to draw and light year too large

8.8 Light Years becausw inversely proportional so half of 0.74 would make double 4.4
Then i got 0.148, u double 0.74 and divide it by 10 (do opposite to 4.4 so 4.4/2 * 10)
i said that distances are too far away to detect it and planets dont emit as much radiation as stars
uhm forgot other questions but 2nd six marker was fine tbh it was like my physics coursework inversely proportional thing and photoms spread out and intensity is the amoint of photons reading a square metre per secone then i said the suitable power is 308 because it was 150 = (307.2 * 20)/6.4^2
uhm for the digital and analogue i got
digital was and 1
digital can be superimposed by electromagnetic wave
analogue was noise disruotion
both can be processed by computer's
both can do images and pictures
for the scientific or not i forgot the statements but i did 3 non scientfic two scientific
for the sankee diagrams i got CBA because coal has mosrt waste uranium has 2nd most waste and oil? has least i figured that out thanks to currents and the one with highest xurrent was coal with 58
uhm for radiation and irradiatipn i said
reprocrssing centre : both
power station: irradiation
then uhm last one i wrote way too much to remember

Yes! I got the same as you for the light uears question! Mr friends were saying 2.2 for that question when clearly when you double the distance you'd decrease the parallax angle dividing by 2! That second six marker didn't go well though but the rest were alright. I got a feeling the grade boundaries for this paper will be very low in fact lower than last year since more seemed to struggle with this paper and I did too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending