The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sabrina235
Did anyone do Character Voice? I compared Medusa with Les Grands Seigneur

I did exactly the same!
Original post by Adzkii786
So on the summary page, the unseen poetry was that the boy grew talons because he was not evil but I wrote that because it unassailable because God "did not" grow him talons, the negative diction conveyed that the boy thinks his powerful and God can't stop him. Will I lose marks if the actual answer was that God didnt not let him grow talons because he isn't fundamentally evil?

I think with English Literature, as long as you can support your ideas, it should be credited, since poetry is partly a matter of interpretation - I wouldn't worry:smile:
For character and voice I did the Medusa question and I compared it with Les Grands Seigneurs, anyone else?
Original post by grace143
hey, do you know if it's necessary to speak about all three (structure form and language) to get the top marks?? I don't think I talked about form in mine:/

I believe in the mark scheme it says language and or form and or structure for the top band, so you should be able to do just one of the three - obviously the more you explore, the more credible and exploratory your answer will probably be. I hardly ever write about form and just stick to language and structure...hope this helps!
Original post by Smidge_midge
For the unseen I went on about how the title is ambiguous and also contrasts a little boy with the use of weapons.😂 these exams are jokes, but I think I did better in this one than Lit 1....I'm better at deep analysis, so I cannot write enough within the time limit which is extremely annoying..............

I started talking about fighting in a war seems 'manly' to society and that's why the title focuses on the boy :biggrin:. It's one of the main reasons I don't mind poetry because you can get deep and having double meanings and it's all your own opinion.
Original post by pinksplodge
I believe in the mark scheme it says language and or form and or structure for the top band, so you should be able to do just one of the three - obviously the more you explore, the more credible and exploratory your answer will probably be. I hardly ever write about form and just stick to language and structure...hope this helps!

mr bruff said you needed all three to get top marks but I'm not sure
Reply 1426
What was the question about for the ruined maid again?
Original post by PCB
What was the question about for the ruined maid again?

It was something like compare how change effects people....? I did Ruined Maid & Medusa😅
My friends found it weird that i compared THCM with 'In Paris With You' was that ok?
I compared Poppies to The Yellow Palm based on both being a 'difficult time' due to the grief caused by war. I was a bit rushed for time so I didn't get to do a proper conclusion for the comparison or the unseen, but I don't think it went too badly! I hope everybody else's went well, did anybody do the same comparison as me? :smile:
I did that and so did Mr Bruff in A* analysis vid....prepared it all last night and basically copied and added to it a bit xD
Original post by Riyad M
I did that and so did Mr Bruff in A* analysis vid....prepared it all last night and basically copied and added to it a bit xD

Who is Mr Bruff? :smile:
Reply 1432
What was both of the questions for the AQA conflict cluster again? One was about The right word and the other was poppies ?
Original post by Tcs145
What was both of the questions for the AQA conflict cluster again? One was about The right word and the other was poppies ?

Yes, I cannot remember the Right Word question but the Poppies was:

"Explain how the poet presents difficult times for people in Poppies and one other poem"
I did the relationships cluster. Anyone else compare Brothers to Sister Maude?
Original post by 123moon
My friends found it weird that i compared THCM with 'In Paris With You' was that ok?

I did that too
For unseen : Loads of references to animals - suggesting the weapons turn innocent boy into a 'cold' blooded killer. -'hunger of blood' 'famishing for flesh'

The lines were paired up and all ended the same, for example 1st and 2nd 'blade' and 'blood', this makes it sound satisfying and refers to how the beauty of the weapons disguises it horrific uses.

And i compared Belfast confetti and Poppies
Original post by louisemayorx
I compared Poppies to The Yellow Palm based on both being a 'difficult time' due to the grief caused by war. I was a bit rushed for time so I didn't get to do a proper conclusion for the comparison or the unseen, but I don't think it went too badly! I hope everybody else's went well, did anybody do the same comparison as me? :smile:

I did too! finally, someone who did the same comparison as me. I've been worrying about it all day. I talked about how in both poems, both poets depicted difficult times despite Minhinnick not being involved in the tribulations himself. I also talked about the use of language, such as the violent 'spasm', 'blockade' and 'disrupted'. An odd point..but I also talked about how in both poems, there was a glimmer of hope in the penultimate stanzas but both were taken away, showing that this was their life now, immersed in grief and immersed in a war torn society. I hope I get an A, I did a pretty bad job..
Anyone else compare Futility with Poppies??? If so what did you mention? Hope everyones exam went well!! :biggrin:
Original post by ellamoon_22
Title- Arms links to military and weapons eg. Arms race
Summary: war is depicted in negative light when he joins war he is changed and exhilarated/ pacifism
Opening stanza
"How cold steel" physical temp but the weapons are a extended metaphor for soldiers in war the word old links to the apathy of their vicious actions war
"Keen with hunger of blood" weapons are personified the word hunger portrays soldiers as animalistic and There is a sinister tone the boy once in war changes and could be exhilarated by Murder ( demonic imagery at end), the word blood links to danger
"Like a madmans flash" is a simile and links to the crazy action of killing
"Blue" links to cold could refer to death
"Stroke" is soft he is getting used to war being brainwashed
Alliteration to present weapons "blind blunt bullet heads"
I accidentally read it as nuzzle so said links to innocence of young boy and juxtaposes violence the bullets will be in their early cause dead "Muzzle"

some of my answer not whole thing soz

Looooool I read it as nuzzle as well!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending