The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Bristol vs Durham vs City vs Queen Mary's

Hey guys,

I need help deciding which uni to pick for my 1st year undergraduate Business Management degree. I got offers from the 5 schools I mentioned above although personally, I'm leaning more towards the 3 schools outside of London as I'm doing my foundation course in London and I'm looking for a less hectic scene. In terms of prestigiousness, academics and student life, how would you rank each school and why? Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Of the ones in your list, only Warwick is a target for IB and MC placement.
Original post by Coolhwip
Hey guys,

I need help deciding which uni to pick for my 1st year undergraduate Business Management degree. I got offers from the 5 schools I mentioned above although personally, I'm leaning more towards the 3 schools outside of London as I'm doing my foundation course in London and I'm looking for a less hectic scene. In terms of prestigiousness, academics and student life, how would you rank each school and why? Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Warwick
Bristol/Durham
For business :

1) Warwick

2) Durham/City (Cass)/Bristol

3) QMUL

Personally, I would firm Warwick and insure Durham
Warwick definitely

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Of the ones in your list, only Warwick is a target for IB and MC placement.

I don't quite understand those terms. Sorry, could you please elaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Abdul-Karim
For business :

1) Warwick

2) Durham/City (Cass)/Bristol

3) QMUL

Personally, I would firm Warwick and insure Durham

Thanks for the reply. May I ask why you would pick Warwick as your firm? Also, do you go to or know anyone that goes to the schools I mentioned above?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the reply. May I ask why you would pick Warwick as your firm? Also, do you go to or know anyone that goes to the schools I mentioned above?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick is what's known as a target. Those in the second category are what's known as semi-targets. It's just about prestige and percieved reputation within industry.

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE; UCL and Warwick, the remaining members of the G5, are also top Universities to break into the profession from. After the G5:

Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol

Cass Business School (London)

York/Bath/St Andrews

King’s/Manchester

Also out of those, Warwick's business school is probably the most highly reputed.

I study at Cass Business School, City University London - BSc Investment & Financial Risk Management
Reply 8
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Warwick is what's known as a target. Those in the second category are what's known as semi-targets. It's just about prestige and percieved reputation within industry.

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE; UCL and Warwick, the remaining members of the G5, are also top Universities to break into the profession from. After the G5:

Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol

Cass Business School (London)

York/Bath/St Andrews

King’s/Manchester

Also out of those, Warwick's business school is probably the most highly reputed.

I study at Cass Business School, City University London - BSc Investment & Financial Risk Management

I am also leaning towards making Warwick my firm choice but putting the academics aside, people have said that the student life in Warwick is pretty dull. Also heard that the students just come down to London every weekend as there isn't much you can do in Warwick. Do you know of anyone who's been there or is studying there at the moment who could shed some light on the student life in Warwick University? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending 3 years doing my undergraduate in a small town. I just feel like it kind of defeats the purpose of wanting to study outside of London if all the students are coming down to London every time they want to have a little fun. Are you familiar with the management programme in City(Cass)? How is it compared to the others, say Durham/Bristol? I heard from people that Cass has the highest employability/graduate prospects out of all the schools I'm being offered a place at. I'm putting Warwick aside because I still feel really conflicted about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am also leaning towards making Warwick my firm choice but putting the academics aside, people have said that the student life in Warwick is pretty dull. Also heard that the students just come down to London every weekend as there isn't much you can do in Warwick. Do you know of anyone who's been there or is studying there at the moment who could shed some light on the student life in Warwick University? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending 3 years doing my undergraduate in a small town. I just feel like it kind of defeats the purpose of wanting to study outside of London if all the students are coming down to London every time they want to have a little fun. Are you familiar with the management programme in City(Cass)? How is it compared to the others, say Durham/Bristol? I heard from people that Cass has the highest employability/graduate prospects out of all the schools I'm being offered a place at. I'm putting Warwick aside because I still feel really conflicted about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Search LinkedIn and find some Alumni at each of the school and drop them an email/private message.

I know a few individuals on the management course. I know it's very quantitative but couldn't really give a detailed description.

Here's my profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/abdulkarimali

You can possibly search through my connections to find Management Students or visits Cass's LinkedIn Page, similarly you can do that with the other universities. I know a considerable amount of people at Warwick, most of whom are enjoying their time there.
Warwick, then Bristol or Durham. Then I suggest you insure QMUL.
Reply 11
Hi
i have got the offers from bath school of management, bristol university, warwick business school and cass business school .I want to pursue masters in management. Being an international student I dont have much idea about universities and their overall ranking. Please help me in deciding the best university .
Original post by smgoel
Hi
i have got the offers from bath school of management, bristol university, warwick business school and cass business school .I want to pursue masters in management. Being an international student I dont have much idea about universities and their overall ranking. Please help me in deciding the best university .

Definitely Warwick, they're by far the strongest out of all your choices- followed closely by Bristol. Warwick's business school is very famous too, so best shot is there.
Reply 13
What about the following universities and their programs?

1. Warwick - MSc Marketing & Strategy
2. Edinburgh - MSc International Business
3. Birmingham - MSc Strategic Marketing & Consulting
4. Sheffield - MSc International Management & Marketing

How would you classify these universities in terms of reputation of the school and their programs? Thanks.
Reply 14
Original post by ShafTJB
Definitely Warwick, they're by far the strongest out of all your choices- followed closely by Bristol. Warwick's business school is very famous too, so best shot is there.

Thanks for your inputs. I definitely agree that warwick is best choice but being an international student , cost is also a bug factor to take in consideration.
How is bath school of management?
Reply 15
Original post by ShafTJB

What about the comparison between Warwick's MSc Marketing & Strategy vs Edinburgh's MSc International Business and Emerging Markets?

Overall reputation, I understand that Edinburgh is an excellent school that's very well-known. But just based on industry-wise, Warwick Business School is also highly rated.

Which will you recommend?
Warwick, then Bristol or Durham. :smile:
Reply 17
Warwick, Bristol then Durham
Warwick followed closely by Bristol and Durham.
I would say Durham/Warwick then the others

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending