The Student Room Group

Do Universities respect photography and graphic design a level?

I am deciding which a levels to do and I have picked Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Maths but have recently decided not to do Maths as I feel I won't be able to cope with those 4 subjects. I have always wanted to do a technology subject but I feel like I am not very creative which I know is very important for these subjects. Anyway I'm considering choosing graphic design or photography as I feel it is important to chose something I enjoy and give me a subject that is different from the other academic subjects i've picked and I intend to drop this after the first year but just incase I don't I was wondering if it will affect my chances of getting into uni when applying? I am not sure what I want to study but probably something to do with science. I also haven't had any experience with technology (other than food tech gcse) and was wondering if I would find these subjects too hard (especially photography without doing the gcse) and whether it is a wise decision to actually do a technology or whether to just stick with maths or chose something completely different?
Most Science courses have either just one or two Science subject requirements.

I'm pretty sure anything you do past those requirements isn't really looked at past the grade they want in it.
I was doing those exact 4 and dropped maths just over halfway through y12. To be honest, you don't really need a fourth, but just take whatever you like the most and will do best in, you already have the 2 science subjects which are what unis ask for + a 3rd academic subject so if you really want a 4th then don't worry about prestige just take whatever is going to be enjoyable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends on the course
Reply 4
Original post by tryrevise
I was doing those exact 4 and dropped maths just over halfway through y12. To be honest, you don't really need a fourth, but just take whatever you like the most and will do best in, you already have the 2 science subjects which are what unis ask for + a 3rd academic subject so if you really want a 4th then don't worry about prestige just take whatever is going to be enjoyable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm thinking there's not much point in doing another academic subject which I don't enjoy as I'm going to end up dropping one at the end of the first year anyway, thanks for the advice! Also what were the other 3 subjects like?
Reply 5
Original post by ODES_PDES
Depends on the course

I'm thinking maybe biomedical science / ophthalmology / medicine kind of thing, basically something to do with biology or chemistry :smile:
Original post by izziehough
Yeah I'm thinking there's not much point in doing another academic subject which I don't enjoy as I'm going to end up dropping one at the end of the first year anyway, thanks for the advice! Also what were the other 3 subjects like?

I really enjoy them :smile: it takes a while to settle in at the beginning of sixth form as in the sciences there's a big step up, but honestly, it all comes together after a while!

Spanish you just need to keep on top of knowing your grammar and learning as much vocab as possible, but generally I find it fairly easy. In order to do really well you need to expose yourself to the language as much as possible - I went on an exchange so if your school does one I'd 100% recommend it as it was the best thing I did for my spoken Spanish!

Biology and chemistry can get tough but the most important thing is to keep on top of the work and make sure you understand it while it's being taught, there is a huge step up at first (I know everyone says it but it's true) but it's fine so long as you make sure you're understanding all the new stuff. I never used to ask questions and nag my teachers much at GCSE but I have a much closer relationship with them now I'm in sixth form.You also do a lot of exam questions right from the start but this turns out useful in the end.

People make out like A levels are absolutely horrific and awful but I honestly think it's ok once you get used to them! Obviously they are more conceptually difficult than GCSEs and you will have to work harder to understand the content but year 12 is a weird year and I think by the end of it you start to 'get' the subjects and can do well in them in time for AS if your school does it.
Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest