The Student Room Group

Graphic design

Hi,

I am thinking of doing graphic design at university.
Can any students please tell me what it’s like? And the job prospect?
Your experiences working anything related to graphic design?
Any good unis for graphic design?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Littlememe
Hi,

Hey!
As a student ambassador for the University of Southampton, I can definitely tell you a bit about the Graphic Arts program. It's a 3-year Bachelor of Arts (Honours) degree that's based at the Winchester Campus. You'll get a really solid foundation in graphic design theory and practice, as well as plenty of chances to develop your creativity and critical thinking skills.

One thing you might find interesting is that graphic design is actually on the UK shortage occupation list, which means there are lots of opportunities for graduates in the field. So if you're looking for a degree that could help you get a job right after graduation, this could be a great option for you.

The university has some amazing facilities here, too. You'll have access to things like design studios, Mac suites, printmaking workshops, and photography studios, which means you'll be able to create some really cool work. And throughout the program, you'll have opportunities to work on real-world projects and get some industry experience through internships and partnerships with local businesses.

If you want to learn more about the Graphic Arts program at the University of Southampton, you can check out our website at: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/graphic-arts-degree-ba
To know about the experience of previous students, you can check out this link: https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10007158/74/FullTime/

There's loads of information there about what you'll study, the facilities you'll use, and what kind of careers you could go into after graduation. I hope this helps! If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

"What it's like" is going to vary hugely depending on where they're studying. Some courses are very loose ("here's a brief, see you in a week"), some are very structured/professional.

Job prospects are excellent (if you put the effort in). The UK is a world-centre for design and is home to many of the world's leading firms. If you put the hours in, you're pretty much guaranteed a job. Although it might not be brilliantly paid initially, if you progress to a senior designer and design director you can earn very good money.

There's no such thing as 'best Uni's for graphic design. The majority of courses could be consider 'good'. What's best for you depends on what kind of work you want to do, whether you want to live in a big city, campus or countryside and north/south/east/west. More info in my post here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7281793 If you can give some more info, i can suggest some great options.
Hi,

Hi there,

Here at UCLan we offer a BA (Hons) in Graphic Design, let me tell you more about this course. :smile: It's a three year full time course which has actually been running for nearly 50 years and is now one of the most established and successful courses of its kind in the country!

Here at UCLan we have strong links with industry and our students can benefit from placement opportunities with many of our students spending a year working in top agencies in the North West, London or even overseas. In terms of job prospects, many of our graduates have gone on to secure creative roles in leading graphic design and creative agencies.

You can learn more about our long standing BA (Hons) in Graphic Design here.

If you have any questions I am happy to help.

I hope this helps :smile:
Best wishes,
Sarah
Hi @Littlememe

As others have said, prospects for Graphic Designers in the UK are very good. UAL is ranked second in the world for Art and Design in the 2023 QS World University rankings. We offer a range of graphics courses at our colleges (see Camberwell College of Arts, Central Saint Martins, Chelsea College of Arts and London College of Communication for this subject area). We have a very high rate of employability (over 95% of our students are working within their field of study or continuing their studies within 6 months of graduation). Our colleges are world renowned and have fantastic links to industry so definitely worth having a look to see if there's something that interests you.

If you want to reach out to our current students, you can connect with them on Unibuddy. We have reps from all our colleges who can tell you more about their experiences at UAL.

Best wishes,
Sian
UK Student Recruitment Team

Quick Reply

Latest