The Student Room Group

Though I screwed up my AS exams, Can I still get into Medicine? (2015-17 A-Levels)

.hh
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm in the same position! Got 12A*s GCSE, all the stuff needed to get into medicine- sport, volunteering, work experience but I'm almost certain I've screwed up my exams except maths from lack of work. I'm hoping for good predicted grades despite crap AS because although I've not worked enough for the real things I've worked hard all year so 90% end of unit tests at A grade. Can't believe I'm so stupid to have mucked around for the real exams and been great the rest of the year....
Original post by Kittyholicrimmy
Well..

IF you get C and D in AS with no extenuating circumstances its most unlikely you teachers would give you the predictions you'd need for medicine or that universities would find them credible if they did. If you have underestimated your performance and get Bs then it's quite possible you'd get the predictions you require.
You could apply anyway but I'd not expect you to get interviews or offers
You could take a gap year and apply with A level results in hand
You could apply for a related undergraduate programme and apply for graduate entry medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But why do predictions matter moee than the actual results? Should I speak to my teachers about this?
But why do predictions matter moee than the actual results? Should I speak to my teachers about this?

Because those are what your offer is based on.
Original post by gdunne42
IF you get C and D in AS with no extenuating circumstances its most unlikely you teachers would give you the predictions you'd need for medicine or that universities would find them credible if they did. If you have underestimated your performance and get Bs then it's quite possible you'd get the predictions you require.
You could apply anyway but I'd not expect you to get interviews or offers
You could take a gap year and apply with A level results in hand
You could apply for a related undergraduate programme and apply for graduate entry medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what if my predictions are grade Bs?
Original post by BristolFresher15
Because those are what your offer is based on.

That just sucks so much. I cant do ANYTHING about it? I know medical schools dont like students that resit.. And my AS grades are probably too low to get onto other degrees. Like.. I was thinking about a foundation pre-med degree and then go onto medicine but I dont even have the grades for that. Should I just give up?
Original post by bloblobdob
I'm in the same position! Got 12A*s GCSE, all the stuff needed to get into medicine- sport, volunteering, work experience but I'm almost certain I've screwed up my exams except maths from lack of work. I'm hoping for good predicted grades despite crap AS because although I've not worked enough for the real things I've worked hard all year so 90% end of unit tests at A grade. Can't believe I'm so stupid to have mucked around for the real exams and been great the rest of the year....

..h
(edited 3 years ago)
That just sucks so much. I cant do ANYTHING about it? I know medical schools dont like students that resit.. And my AS grades are probably too low to get onto other degrees. Like.. I was thinking about a foundation pre-med degree and then go onto medicine but I dont even have the grades for that. Should I just give up?

You can always salvage it somehow. Like mentioned, you can take a gap year and then apply with your already achieved A-levels. You can also take a pre-med degree and apply for graduate entry. If that is what you meant by foundation pre-med, then yes. If you meant one of those Foundation Program into Medicine things, I'm not from the UK but I'm pretty sure that's only for people who don't have the correct A-level subjects and/or are from schools with poor performance.

You apply and get an offer before you do your actual exams. They can't make an offer you based on your actual exams before you do them.

You could take a gap year after your A Levels, so after you've gotten your actual results and apply then.

But there is a small gap for improvement after these exams and before applying where you can try to get the best grades you can to try and persuade your teachers to boost your predicted grades (that's what all my hope is resting on. :lol:)
Original post by flyingpanda
You apply and get an offer before you do your actual exams. They can't make an offer you based on your actual exams before you do them.

You could take a gap year after your A Levels, so after you've gotten your actual results and apply then.

But there is a small gap for improvement after these exams and before applying where you can try to get the best grades you can to try and persuade your teachers to boost your predicted grades (that's what all my hope is resting on. :lol:)

Why is it like that? like.. the predictions could be wrong? I feel hopeless.
How would I manage to convince them to change it? Like.. I'm willing to put in hardwork in to prove it and do my very best before its time to apply.. would that help?
Why is it like that? like.. the predictions could be wrong? I feel hopeless.
How would I manage to convince them to change it? Like.. I'm willing to put in hardwork in to prove it and do my very best before its time to apply.. would that help?

... Teachers predictions are most likely accurate, as they know what kind of a student you are and how capable you are. Sure, predictions could be wrong, but they are still very accurate.

You wouldn't make an offer to someone predicted low grades, but says they could get high grades, as you haven't proven it so far.
Reply 12
Its all about predicted grades...

I got AABBC at As level and am still holding two med offers!

Dont stress about it. Focus on your UKCAT and personal statement now!
Reply 13
And what if my predictions are grade Bs?

That means you won't get into medicine, and the best Uni you could get into is like Essex, Oxford Brooks etc
There's nothing you can do except hope your results will be better than you think they're going to be. If they're still bad, you shouldn't apply next year (you could tho,idk) and make sure you get great A2 levels. Then you'd apply during a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest