The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

What are the predictions for the 5/10/25 markers? I only have the 40 predictions ?
Original post by Student 1305
Mehhh I did the same for Unit 2 and I messed up :/ I think I'll take the topics they mention and plan questions and make brief notes on them
My plan was to finish all my notes and revision today and learn it all tomorrow and the morning of the exam - I work pretty well under pressure so hopefully it'll save me ;':wink:
Thank you so much for your advice and time! I wish you all the best :smile:

Thank you very much! May I ask what topics you picked in Unit 1 as I just want to know if it's a trend that many people picked Democracy and Pressure Groups
Original post by Defraction
I'm not so sure if making notes would be effective right now. I'm currently looking at past papers, examiner reports and mark schemes to get a feel of what the examiner wants from us and what type of questions came up which might help me think of what questions might come up. It's all up to you, whatever tactic helped you in Unit 1 will definitely help you in Unit 2.

I hope you do well!

Well you know the info
No point looking at answer questions when you don't have the knowledge
It's far better to have the knowledge then the exam technique because you can't use technique without knowledge and politics is all about knowledge tbh
Sorry not being rude lool
Anyone got a plan on "How effective Parliament is in scrutinising the executive?" that they would like to share?
Original post by espicton98
What are the predictions for the 5/10/25 markers? I only have the 40 predictions ?

What are the 40 predictions lol?
Thank you very much! May I ask what topics you picked in Unit 1 as I just want to know if it's a trend that many people picked Democracy and Pressure Groups

I did Democracy and Elections - that 25 mark democracy question was not fun. at all....
Original post by xxvine
Well you know the info
No point looking at answer questions when you don't have the knowledge
It's far better to have the knowledge then the exam technique because you can't use technique without knowledge and politics is all about knowledge tbh
Sorry not being rude lool

No, it's fine. It's very true though, you must understand the question to actually fully answer it. But I'm just looking at exemplar answers that either did good or bad and see the examiner's commentary to that answer. I usually do this after I revised but I really cannot be bothered to revise. I despise Unit 2. I just cannot wait till we finish this exam.

I'm worried that there might be a horrible question like there was one in our Unit 1 Democracy and apparently pressure groups questions. PLEASE CAN THE CONSTITUTION QUESTION BE GOOD AND IT'S A 40 MARK
Would RIPA or the IP Bill count as constitutional acts?
Original post by Nightcall
Anyone got a plan on "How effective Parliament is in scrutinising the executive?" that they would like to share?

HoL can delaylegislation -> blocked tax credits -> also can’t be whipped -> no majority

Commons can voteof no confidence -> this is when the House believes that the executivehaven’t acted well = kick them out -> happened in ’79 with Callaghan and newparty in charge

SelectCommittees -> have one per department and look over the departmentalmanagement and policies -> vital as allows greater scope than normallyallowed -> can bring witnesses to talk -> report written then publishedto house with recommendations -> Mrs Dunwoody made determined attacks onboth the management of Rail track and government plans for the privatisation ofthe air traffic control system -> shows they can be effective
BUT,
HoL isunelected, unaccountable thus decisions they make don’t have legitimacy &Parliament Act means House of Lords is rendered useless since can only delay byone year

Nature ofelectoral system = majority is usually given to the winning party -> if theparty has a majority means it can push through legislation which may actuallybe unpopular, such as the Poll Tax, but regardless it was passed

Due to partyloyalty & whips MPs will pass legislation regardless of whether they agreewith it!!
I did Democracy and Elections - that 25 mark democracy question was not fun. at all....

I'm so lucky I didn't do the democracy questions! That question was awful though. I remember that section of democracy being absolutely small in content. I hope they lower the grade boundaries for everyone- I think the examiners realised we selectively revised instead of revising all 4 topics. As democracy is the most popular topic out of all 4, they wanted to make it hard for everyone.
No, it's fine. It's very true though, you must understand the question to actually fully answer it. But I'm just looking at exemplar answers that either did good or bad and see the examiner's commentary to that answer. I usually do this after I revised but I really cannot be bothered to revise. I despise Unit 2. I just cannot wait till we finish this exam.

I'm worried that there might be a horrible question like there was one in our Unit 1 Democracy and apparently pressure groups questions. PLEASE CAN THE CONSTITUTION QUESTION BE GOOD AND IT'S A 40 MARK

I'm in the exact same boat
I'm petrified that the unit 2 Qu will be disgusting and on the EU or something
I also want the constitution as a 40 marker
Preferably 'the constitution is no longer fit for purpose'disuss 😂
Unit 1 was a disaster so you can just imagine Lool
I'm so lucky I didn't do the democracy questions! That question was awful though. I remember that section of democracy being absolutely small in content. I hope they lower the grade boundaries for everyone- I think the examiners realised we selectively revised instead of revising all 4 topics. As democracy is the most popular topic out of all 4, they wanted to make it hard for everyone.

I'm thinking this as well and there are only so many questions they can ask
But why oh why did they have to be mean this year ffs
The year before was so easy compared to this year

Yep they've definitely realised that the majority of us do selective revision :frown: What would you advise to learn for the Parliament topic?
Original post by xxvine
I'm in the exact same boat
I'm petrified that the unit 2 Qu will be disgusting and on the EU or something
I also want the constitution as a 40 marker
Preferably 'the constitution is no longer fit for purpose'disuss 😂
Unit 1 was a disaster so you can just imagine Lool

Consitution is one of the most popular topics so it might be awful or Parliament perhaps. Wait, did you pick Democracy and Pressure Groups. Political parties was AMAZING, I was so happy that it was amazing.
Original post by xxvine
I'm thinking this as well and there are only so many questions they can ask
But why oh why did they have to be mean this year ffs
The year before was so easy compared to this year

Our year tends to do better than other years

I swear we are like the guinea pig year, they always want to test things on us

First, it was our GCSE Mathematics Paper then our IGCSE English Language Paper.

Then, most of the A level exams.

WHY!!!!!!
Consitution is one of the most popular topics so it might be awful or Parliament perhaps. Wait, did you pick Democracy and Pressure Groups. Political parties was AMAZING, I was so happy that it was amazing.

Picked democracy and electors
But we need to think what they could ask
Because again there is only so much to say
But how horrible were they
'Devolves bodies and EU affected representation' wtf lol. That has never been asked since the syllabus was created. My teacher was fuming and said they were so harsh this year because we didn't do much on the EU. Devolution is also a unit 2 topic lol.
I guess that's why you should always learn 3 but I got a B last year so at least I keep that because I no I did worse this year than last lool
Yep they've definitely realised that the majority of us do selective revision :frown: What would you advise to learn for the Parliament topic?

I'm not the one you're asking, but I'd recommend that you revise the functions of parliament (and whether they are performed well), the arguments for and against an elected house of lords, and which one needs more reform as a whole (as a consequence of how well each perform their functions).
Our year tends to do better than other years

I swear we are like the guinea pig year, they always want to test things on us

First, it was our GCSE Mathematics Paper then our IGCSE English Language Paper.

Then, most of the A level exams.

WHY!!!!!!

What are you learning for the constitution?

I LOVED the pressure groups questions! The 25 marker was such a God-send as I had written an essay on it that my teacher gave me 23/25 for so I wrote a plan on it the night before and had examples and everything! I finished 10 minutes early, probably thanks to that extra prep for that question as I literally just regurgitated my plan!

The democracy question however... I died inside for like 5 minutes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
thank you so much!!!!
Original post by LennyBicknel
I'm not the one you're asking, but I'd recommend that you revise the functions of parliament (and whether they are performed well), the arguments for and against an elected house of lords, and which one needs more reform as a whole (as a consequence of how well each perform their functions).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending