The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daisy May
Well they'll know and they'll penalise you for it. If you didn't make up the research, you should have put "One study found..." or "Research has shown..." and the like.

They may not realise, which i hope for :/
I'm concerned I've written too much, I know that sounds stupid but i wrote 6 sides for each essay and am now concerned a lot may have just been waffle! Also I wrote so quick I'm concerned my hand writing will be illegible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophiehaddad
I talked about how no twin studies showed 100% concordance, even identical twins, so maybe it's diathesis-stress model! And I also said with identical twins it's hard to separate them as they have both experience the same environment and genes. And also how most research is gender bias as it focusses on female anorexics. Fingers crossed I guess! Now it's just the waiting game...but first...PSYA4:s-smilie::colondollar:

Yeah that's pretty much what I said, it didn't show the 100% concordance rate like we expected! Yeah I said it might be due to external factors too, so I'm pretty sure it is a valid evaluation:smile:

Ugghhhhh hate PSYA4... what topics you doing?
Reply 3803
Original post by SunDun111
Yeah i did both, for jeaousy I evaluated using Shackleford, his real life applications, and other studies on jealousy.

For infidelity I wrote about how its deterministic, e.g. dosen't factor free will, sometimes when infidelity occurs people just get drunk not commit uxoricide. I also mentioned a study saying people were twice as likely to be abusive towards wives who are pregnant. This proovides evidence for the evolutionary adaptive explanation of infidelity as we are likely to be more abusive to our wifes when they are pregnant.

For group displays I stated sport and that it's adaptive because through being aggression in sport like rugby it increases the chances of winning. By winning, it gives individuals access to resources and enables them to gain staus. By having resources and status, it makes individuals attractive to females, enabling them to mate and pass on genes.

I used 2 studies such as Maxwell and Viscek who investigated 143 rugby players' use of aggression in the game and found that they saw winning, even if it meant acting aggressivly as important than playing fairly. I stated that it supports because by showing aggression, it increases the their chances of winning and makes them attractive, thus enabling them to pass on genes. However I stated how it has low population validity because it only studied men so the idea of aggression cannot be generalised to females and neither can the explanation.

I also used another study and critiqued it with the fact that it used an interview so it was prone to social desirability, so the fans in this study may have overemphasised their responses, and thus reduces its validity and also the explanation.

For infidelity and jealousy I argued that men are likely to use mate retention strategies, sexual coercion and aggressive behaviour if they fear that their spouse Is being unfaithful as they have risk of cuckoldry. This will mean that they waste their resources on a child they is not theirs. This will mean that they cannot pass their genes on. However, if they use aggression and sexual coercion, it will enable them to pass on their genes. I then used Shackelfords study to support it as he found that men used sexual coercion if they felt their spouse was being unfaithful. I then used the idea that it was deterministic, as it argues that men act aggressively because they want to pass on their genes, but this ignores the free will that they have because they may just spouse to be aggressive. I also stated how as a result of this explanation, mate retention strategies have been developed. I hope that was enough to get good marks
Original post by Aleksandrinaa
They may not realise, which i hope for :/

For the Aggression questions of explaining human aggression I put 2 explanations in the A01. I put a in depth explanation of group display but a less-so in depth explanation about infidelity/jealousy talking about cuckoldry etc.
I only evaluated the group display explanation? Will that hurt my essay marks?
I thought I did well, but thinking back on it, my essays had bad structure and a lot of what I wrote was waffle. I also forgot the majority of researcher names and missed out quite a few research studies over all 3 essays. Damn.
Well I flopped the aggression essay then only focused on jealousy and infidelity
Original post by Naveed Rahman
I actually do English Literature haha! Fair enough i get your point, but really 4 marks for A01 of both theories? I don't think so.

Look, regardless of a01 marks it said explanationS - clearly they wanted more than one, or the question would have been discuss one evolutionary explanation of human aggression. It is simple, the plural means they required more than 1 explanation, AQA have done this before and it caught a lot of people out because they didn't read the question properly, and it's happened again.

I'm gonna put the screenshot of the loopa guys response to a student, look at the 2nd paragraph: Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 8.24.11 pm.png

You're literally arguing against the phrasing of the question and a guy who got 100% in his unit 3 exam. Just accept it's a strong possibility.
Original post by vickyife1
Well I flopped the aggression essay then only focused on jealousy and infidelity

Not necessarily, AQA may count sexual jealousy and infidelity as two separate explanation - or they might not, we'll just have to see!
Original post by Sidneyy12
For the Aggression questions of explaining human aggression I put 2 explanations in the A01. I put a in depth explanation of group display but a less-so in depth explanation about infidelity/jealousy talking about cuckoldry etc.
I only evaluated the group display explanation? Will that hurt my essay marks?

I did literally the same thing, but with infidelity/jealousy and group display swapped round! I think that may be okay, since it was the less in depth explanation?
Original post by bullseye1
Not necessarily, AQA may count sexual jealousy and infidelity as two separate explanation - or they might not, we'll just have to see!

Hopefully
Original post by TrojanH
Sorry buddy. It's true.

See June 2014 Mark scheme PSYA3.

"Although there are technically partial performance criteria for candidates covering only one ‘explanation’, there can be substantial overlap between evolutionary explanations. Partial performance criteria will not apply, but answers restricted to a limited range of material are unlikely to move out of Basic for either AO1 or AO2/3."

If it asks for explanationS then two at the minimum is required, otherwise you will only receive partial performance marks.

Thankyou!!! The markscheme and Saj can't be wrong!
Original post by ApeToll
I thought I did well, but thinking back on it, my essays had bad structure and a lot of what I wrote was waffle. I also forgot the majority of researcher names and missed out quite a few research studies over all 3 essays. Damn.

Same here! I waffled for 16 pages and forgot most of the studies but at least I saw the plural on the explanationS!! took me a while but i realised they were trying to catch people out!!
i don't understanding how psya4 is easy... there is so much content i wont have time to learn it all!

does anyone have any concise notes on research methods? just a nice summary of everything we need to know? would help so much:smile:
Original post by Biologist123
Same here! I waffled for 16 pages and forgot most of the studies but at least I saw the plural on the explanationS!! took me a while but i realised they were trying to catch people out!!

Just make up for it on unit 4 I guess :smile:
Original post by ellawhite4686
I'm concerned I've written too much, I know that sounds stupid but i wrote 6 sides for each essay and am now concerned a lot may have just been waffle! Also I wrote so quick I'm concerned my hand writing will be illegible

Same here! my handwriting is awful what happens if they can't read it?:frown:
Original post by bullseye1

They better count it as two its not fair if not, cause in my texbook it is written as two seperate explanations.
Does anyone have any good addiction notes they're willing to share (I honestly find this topic impossible) I have essays on every phobias topic that I'm willing to trade for addiction notes :colondollar:
Original post by tiegan_hill
Unit 3: gender, relationships and aggression
Unit 4: schizophrenia, media psychology and research methods

anyone else doing these topics?

I do all of them topics accept I do eating behaviour instead of gender
Guys, I think that if you include only one theory for evolutionary explanations(s), its only partial performance in AO1, so AO2 wont be affected?

Latest

Trending

Trending