The Student Room Group

How is my A-level maths grade cached in?

Hi,

This year, I'm doing the full A-level maths, all six modules, C1, C2, C3, C4, and then my two applied are M1 and S1.

I've sat all my AS units (C1, C2, M1, S1) so far, and I have C3 and C4 next week. Basically, I've done all the exams in one sitting.
On my results sheet in the summer what grade will I get? How do they cache it in when you do it like this? Do you get a separate AS and A2 grade, or just the A2 grade since I've completed all 6 modules this year, or what?
Also, with applied modules, how do they cache those in too? Does the better applied module get cached in with my A2 grade and the worst one with my AS, or what?

I'm very confused, can someone please explain, thanks :smile:
Original post by Turtlebunny
Hi,

This year, I'm doing the full A-level maths, all six modules, C1, C2, C3, C4, and then my two applied are M1 and S1.

I've sat all my AS units (C1, C2, M1, S1) so far, and I have C3 and C4 next week. Basically, I've done all the exams in one sitting.
On my results sheet in the summer what grade will I get? How do they cache it in when you do it like this? Do you get a separate AS and A2 grade, or just the A2 grade since I've completed all 6 modules this year, or what?
Also, with applied modules, how do they cache those in too? Does the better applied module get cached in with my A2 grade and the worst one with my AS, or what?

I'm very confused, can someone please explain, thanks :smile:

Is your exam board CCEA or what is it? Last year, I done the full A-Level in a year and done the exact same modules as you, with CCEA. For my AS results, I got an A for AS Maths (C1/C2/M1 were used for this grade) and the equivalent of an A* for A2 Maths but the A2 grade has not been cashed in yet, it will be cashed in this year, if that all makes sense. To get an A, we need an average of 80 across all 6 modules and for an A*, you need that AND an average of 90 between C3 & C4. Bear in mind, however, that this is from uniform marks. Our papers are out of 75 so the 80 or 90 is the average uniform mark.

The exam board will cash in the exams to give you the highest grade possible. So, for the A* they will use C3 & C4 but for AS, they will use your 3 best modules from C1/C2/M1/S1. If you want to know anything else let me know!

This may vary if you are with a different exam board but the overall principle of uniform marks and cashing in would be the same I'd say.
Original post by ExamBuddy101
Is your exam board CCEA or what is it? Last year, I done the full A-Level in a year and done the exact same modules as you, with CCEA. For my AS results, I got an A for AS Maths (C1/C2/M1 were used for this grade) and the equivalent of an A* for A2 Maths but the A2 grade has not been cashed in yet, it will be cashed in this year, if that all makes sense. To get an A, we need an average of 80 across all 6 modules and for an A*, you need that AND an average of 90 between C3 & C4. Bear in mind, however, that this is from uniform marks. Our papers are out of 75 so the 80 or 90 is the average uniform mark.

The exam board will cash in the exams to give you the highest grade possible. So, for the A* they will use C3 & C4 but for AS, they will use your 3 best modules from C1/C2/M1/S1. If you want to know anything else let me know!

This may vary if you are with a different exam board but the overall principle of uniform marks and cashing in would be the same I'd say.

I'm doing A-level maths with Edexcel.
To get an A we need 480 UMS from all 6 modules, so an average of 80.
Does this mean for an A, we need that UMS, or an A in every single module?
And our A* is the same, we need 180 UMS from our 480 UMS (90 average) from both C3 and C4.

I believe my A2 will also be cached in next year like you, because I'm sitting more applied/further maths modules next year.
So, let me get this straight, if I did better in M1 than in S1, they will use my M1, along with my C1 and C2 marks to give me my AS grade?
Because I think I got three good A's in C1, C2, M1, but not a good enough grade in S1 this year. Because they're only caching in the AS grade this year, I want the best possible AS grade to put on UCAS, and I'm worried that if they use S1, it will be lower.

So is the AS prioritised over A2 or something, so my better applied module will be used to give me an AS grade?

@Zacken thought I'd ask you :tongue:
Reply 4
So is the AS prioritised over A2 or something, so my better applied module will be used to give me an AS grade?

@Zacken thought I'd ask you :tongue:

Not sure waht you mean, if you sit A2 then the only thing you get is an A-Level grade, not a separate AS and A2 grade.
Original post by Zacken
Not sure waht you mean, if you sit A2 then the only thing you get is an A-Level grade, not a separate AS and A2 grade.

Yeah, I'm sitting all 6 modules for A-level maths this year, however, I believe my school will cache in A2 next year, meaning the grade that's certified this year is my AS grade. And I'm wondering whether they'll use M1 or S1 for my AS grade :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah, I'm sitting all 6 modules for A-level maths this year, however, I believe my school will cache in A2 next year, meaning the grade that's certified this year is my AS grade. And I'm wondering whether they'll use M1 or S1 for my AS grade :smile:

Well, they'll use whichever module will get you a higher AS grade this year. I'm not sure why you care since next year, they'll "delete" your AS grade and re-calculate it to maximise your A-Level grade, with no distinction between AS and A2.
Original post by Zacken
Well, they'll use whichever module will get you a higher AS grade this year. I'm not sure why you care since next year, they'll "delete" your AS grade and re-calculate it to maximise your A-Level grade, with no distinction between AS and A2.

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.
I'm doing A-level maths with Edexcel.
To get an A we need 480 UMS from all 6 modules, so an average of 80.
Does this mean for an A, we need that UMS, or an A in every single module?
And our A* is the same, we need 180 UMS from our 480 UMS (90 average) from both C3 and C4.

I believe my A2 will also be cached in next year like you, because I'm sitting more applied/further maths modules next year.
So, let me get this straight, if I did better in M1 than in S1, they will use my M1, along with my C1 and C2 marks to give me my AS grade?
Because I think I got three good A's in C1, C2, M1, but not a good enough grade in S1 this year. Because they're only caching in the AS grade this year, I want the best possible AS grade to put on UCAS, and I'm worried that if they use S1, it will be lower.

It means that for an A you need an average of 80 UMS out of all 6, that is the way it us for us anyway! Likewise for the A*, average of 90 UMS between C3 & C4. Yes, I am doing Further Maths this year so what happened was I got my AS grade and obviously the marks for the A2 ones but it hasn't been cashed in just yet. But they're done and my teachers and I know from looking at the UMS I have the A*.

Also, yes, if you do better in C1/2/M1 than S1 then the first three will be used for your AS grade. S1 was my lowest out of all 6 and M1 was higher so M1/C1/C2 were used to give my AS grade. As I mentioned earlier, I think they intentionally use the marks that will give you the best grade. Same for Further Maths. We need an average of 80 UMS for all 6 to get an A and an average of 90 UMS in any 3 A2 modules (M2/3/4 or FP2/3, FP1 is AS for us) for an A8 so they work it so you can get the highest!

Best of luck if you have any Maths left. :smile:
Original post by Zacken

But that doesn't matter in this case because the AS grade is only calculated using C1/C2/M1 or S1 and the A2 grade is only based on C3/C4. So basically if you get an average of 80 UMS over all 6 AND an average of 90 in C3/4 you get the A*.
Reply 10
But that doesn't matter in this case because the AS grade is only calculated using C1/C2/M1 or S1 and the A2 grade is only based on C3/C4. So basically if you get an average of 80 UMS over all 6 AND an average of 90 in C3/4 you get the A*.

Yes, I didn't say anything to the contrary, did I?
Original post by Zacken
Yes, I didn't say anything to the contrary, did I?

Aye but you said "..next year, they'll "delete" your AS grade and re-calculate it to maximise your A-Level grade, with no distinction between AS and A2" but as I said, that doesn't apply here as his AS will obviously already be calculated and the 2 modules used to calculate the A2 grade are used on their own, so it wouldn't be recalculated if you get me. Maths is just like that. Sorry, just picky.
Reply 12
Aye but you said "..next year, they'll "delete" your AS grade and re-calculate it to maximise your A-Level grade, with no distinction between AS and A2" but as I said, that doesn't apply here as his AS will obviously already be calculated and the 2 modules used to calculate the A2 grade are used on their own, so it wouldn't be recalculated if you get me. Maths is just like that. Sorry, just picky.

Yes, but his exam office will still re-cash in all his modules and the AS grades will still be recalculated. It won't change anything, but it will be recalculated regardless as long as the cash in code is submitted.
Original post by Zacken
Yes, but his exam office will still re-cash in all his modules and the AS grades will still be recalculated. It won't change anything, but it will be recalculated regardless as long as the cash in code is submitted.

Seems like a strange thing to do for AS if it doesn't change anything, but then again, life is strange! You doing Maths this year?
Reply 14
Seems like a strange thing to do for AS if it doesn't change anything, but then again, life is strange! You doing Maths this year?

Sort of, doing FM.
Original post by Zacken
Sort of, doing FM.

Same, what modules? How you finding it?

They might have cashed-in just the A level or they may have cashed-in the AS and the A level. If they have cashed-in the AS then it is the better of your applied units that will be put into it.
the A2 grade is only based on C3/C4.

There is no such thing as an A2 grade. There is an AS grade - C1, C2 and an applied unit and there is an A level grade C1-4, M1 and S1.
Original post by Compost
There is no such thing as an A2 grade. There is an AS grade - C1, C2 and an applied unit and there is an A level grade C1-4, M1 and S1.

When I say A2 grade I mean the year 14 work, in the same way AS is year 13 work. I'm not saying it is a literal thing.
@Compost
While I have you here :tongue:, I have a quick question about the new AS specifications.
Have the exam boards told you how they will grade linear exams now? Will they use UMS from each paper or raw marks to set a grade boundary for that exam season?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending