The Student Room Group

Read/unread icons not displaying correctly in forums

Visiting F38, it no longer seems possible to tell which threads have already been read. Don't know if it's totally broken or just way too subtle
Original post by DFranklin
Visiting F38, it no longer seems possible to tell which threads have already been read. Don't know if it's totally broken or just way too subtle

Just to check, are you seeing different icons to these? :holmes:

Reply 2
Original post by RainbowLapras
Just to check, are you seeing different icons to these? :holmes:

I get purple "TSR logo" S's. I've cleared site data and it makes no difference.
Original post by DFranklin
I get purple "TSR logo" S's. I've cleared site data and it makes no difference.

For both icons? I'll flag that up, that doesn't sound correct!
Reply 4
For both icons? I'll flag that up, that doesn't sound correct!

Yes.
@DFranklin just to let you know, I've created a new thread for you so we can keep track of this under our new feedback process! I'll do the same with the other issues you've raised, would you like me to tag you in those too?
Reply 6
@DFranklin just to let you know, I've created a new thread for you so we can keep track of this under our new feedback process! I'll do the same with the other issues you've raised, would you like me to tag you in those too?

Yes please, thanks.
It's interesting how this renders completely differently on chrome v Samsung Internet.

I have chrome white and the Samsung Internet on dark mode so would expect some differences.

But two that pop out to me are
Chrome : can see which threads I have opened or not by a slight change in font. I cannot see which threads I have contributed to (no pen icon).

Samsung Internet : cannot see which threads I have opened. But have the pen icon to show whoch ones I have contributed to.

I need a combination of both (ie which ones I have read / contributed to) on both systems ideally please.
Reply 8

So to add a bit more info:

On Desktop (Firefox), what I see is like your screenshot.
On mobile, what I said are "TSR logo" S's seem to actually be avatar icons (if present), or the 'S' as a fallback.
The number of replies to the thread are shown in a rectangular box under the icon, and that box is white if the thread is read and grey if it is unread.

Can I strongly request you go back to using bold text to signify a thread is unread; this is pretty standard and I don't see why you felt the need to change it.

Also: having the number of replies under the icon (or just to the right of it if you want to save vspace) as opposed to on the far right is a lot easier to see when you're judging which threads have a lot of traffic.
Original post by circusqueen
It's interesting how this renders completely differently on chrome v Samsung Internet.

I have chrome white and the Samsung Internet on dark mode so would expect some differences.

But two that pop out to me are
Chrome : can see which threads I have opened or not by a slight change in font. I cannot see which threads I have contributed to (no pen icon).

Samsung Internet : cannot see which threads I have opened. But have the pen icon to show whoch ones I have contributed to.

I need a combination of both (ie which ones I have read / contributed to) on both systems ideally please.

Hi, just to let you know that I've copied this into an existing thread on the read/unread icons so that you'll get notified too when there are any updates :smile:
The icons for threads I’ve posted on don’t see to have a “read” version - they all look unread.

Note: the icons only seem to show on some legacy pages. Forum pages and the homepage just show the avatar of the OP which makes everything very ugly.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by PQ
The icons for threads I’ve posted on don’t see to have a “read” version - they all look unread.

Note: the icons only seem to show on some legacy pages. Forum pages and the homepage just show the avatar of the OP which makes everything very ugly.

Could you try clearing your TSR cache and seeing if that makes any difference, please? I've posted an image earlier in the thread of what the forum page icons are expected to look like - if the cache clear doesn't work then I'll do some digging on this one, but would be good to rule out the cache option! I can run you through how to do this if you need :smile:
Could you try clearing your TSR cache and seeing if that makes any difference, please? I've posted an image earlier in the thread of what the forum page icons are expected to look like - if the cache clear doesn't work then I'll do some digging on this one, but would be good to rule out the cache option! I can run you through how to do this if you need :smile:

Cleared cache
this is what this forum looks like:
IMG_6861.jpeg
Safari iPhone

I can only tell read/unread by the “go to most recent post” arrow icon. No bolding, no icons just avatars of the OP
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by PQ

Cleared cache
this is what this forum looks like:
IMG_6861.jpeg
Safari iPhone

I can only tell read/unread by the “go to most recent post” arrow icon. No bolding, no icons just avatars of the OP

Perfect, thank you - I can reproduce this on mobile, I'll do some digging on the issue tomorrow :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending