The Student Room Group

A levels and employers and stuff

Hi,

my friend has an unconditional to study at Manchester Uni, but is disappointed with the way his exams are going. He has special consideration, since he's going through some newly diagnosed medical stuff and some long term medical stuff is flaring up. He's expected BCD at a level, and is looking at resitting his CD grades WHILST AT UNI, thus as a private candidate. My question for him is (he doesn't have an account here) will employers be able to see that he resat them? He also resat his AS ones due to medical reasons and 3 family deaths that occured in a year (close family too, he was depressed for a long time) will employers just see the final, best grades or demand to see the initial ones, including resits?
It depends.
If it is his CV, then it is up to him how he displays the information. I'd warn about putting things that arent true, but most employers will look no further than grades.
If he is filling a form out, then if the form asks for exams and dates, he should put those, It varies as to how detailed the forms are.

He will have one chance to resit his A levels on the existing legacy spec in 2017.
Think carefully about the ongoing workload and whether it might interfere with Uni. His degree will matter more, but first year counts the least.
In any event he has extenuating circumstances.

A levels tend to matter most as a passport to get you into Uni. They matter much less if he gets a good degree. For some graduate jobs, they are taken into account, but again he has extenuating circs. If he's interested in a known career then he chan check to see how relevant they might be.

So my answer is less about whether employers can see them (answered above), but whether he cna cope with the additional workload and it doesnt interfere with Uni. They could adopt a more cautious approach and delay Uni, resit the exams and go in 2018. That might be a bit much considering they have unconditional, but it might give them more time to deal with their depression. The degree grade will be much more important.
Reply 2
Original post by Chloe_bellz
Hi,

my friend has an unconditional to study at Manchester Uni, but is disappointed with the way his exams are going

What are his A-level subjects and which course at Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A growing number of employers ask to see original certificates. So the dates and grades declared on any application will need to tally with your friends certificates.

I'd repeat the caution over doubling workload at the same time as moving to a new place and studying in a new way. Has your friend considered deferring and resitting in a gap year?
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
What are his A-level subjects and which course at Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eng lang, eng lit, and spanish which is hos weakest since hes missed the most lessons. Hes doing chinese
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
A growing number of employers ask to see original certificates. So the dates and grades declared on any application will need to tally with your friends certificates.

I'd repeat the caution over doubling workload at the same time as moving to a new place and studying in a new way. Has your friend considered deferring and resitting in a gap year?

Yeah, but he's 20 and says he doesn't want to put uni off any longer. He did btec before a level due to being in hospital too much fpr exams and got d*dd. He's thinking of working abroad, will employers still look abroad do you know?
Reply 6
Eng lang, eng lit, and spanish which is hos weakest since hes missed the most lessons. Hes doing chinese

Hmm, given his interest in languages it might be worth getting the Spanish up above a D, but not at the risk of causing problems with his degree.
Having thought about it again. If it were me, then I would defer Uni and resit.
1.2017 is the last chance he will get for legacy spec resits in most subjects.
2.Resat A levels of a reasonable grade (B and C) with extenuating circumstance look better than C and D as they move from poor to respectable.
3 They need to deal with the bereavement and get that under control or it could derail the degree.

That's the move that manages the risks most effectively.
Yeah, but he's 20 and says he doesn't want to put uni off any longer. He did btec before a level due to being in hospital too much fpr exams and got d*dd. He's thinking of working abroad, will employers still look abroad do you know?

Does he intend to use his language directly?
It's his choice if he doesnt want to wait, but a gap year would make little difference.
The issues is less whether he has resat them, but more what grades he has.
His degree might carry him through.

Quick Reply

Latest