The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Question is do I revise for both S2 and FP3 and aim for middle of the road in both or just go all out on one or the other? 😂😭
Original post by Craig1998
Need somewhere in the region of 70-80 to get an A in further maths (thanks M2). I'd need about 92-96 to get an A*. I really hope this is as much a breeze as C4 was.

I know the feel, I need approximately 0 UMS to get an A* in Further Maths in this. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
I know the feel, I need approximately 0 UMS to get an A* in Further Maths in this. :lol:

:lol: wish I could say the same. Was never going to do well in M2, but that exam really screwed me over (about half marks).

It's a shame because the college decided we do M2 rather than ask what people wanted. I'd much rather do D2 or S3, even if there's more content to learn, simply because I'd do far better in the exam.
Original post by itsalexs
Question is do I revise for both S2 and FP3 and aim for middle of the road in both or just go all out on one or the other? 😂😭

I chose to go all out on S2 tbf, it's an easy 100%
Original post by kingaaran
I chose to go all out on S2 tbf, it's an easy 100%

Yeah I thought about that but I need AA in Maths AND FM :| Hoping that my uni offer will allow a B in FM as I got a Distinction* in BTEC Computing but dont wanna rely on it
Reply 545
Should I do the 2015 UK paper tomorrow and have all my confidence completely knocked out? 🙃
Original post by Ayman!
Should I do the 2015 UK paper tomorrow and have all my confidence completely knocked out? 🙃

Well you won't cos grade boundaries...also extra difficulty is thoroughly exaggerated in an actual exam situation. But yes it is good to do for more challenging questions
Yeah I thought about that but I need AA in Maths AND FM :| Hoping that my uni offer will allow a B in FM as I got a Distinction* in BTEC Computing but dont wanna rely on it

what course are you applying for at uni/offer have you got and where?
Original post by Fmathslad
what course are you applying for at uni/offer have you got and where?

Applying for Computer Science at Southampton, received an offer for AADistinction in Maths/FM/BTEC Comp :smile:

im in a similar boat i need an AAB with an A in maths but i have little to no hope to get an A in physics so id need the A in Fmaths. but im pretty certain i got an A* in maths and just hope they let me in with A*BB (maths degree)

Im personally all outing on FP3 since S2 is so easy can probably get the 90% whereas most of fp3 is in the formula book where'd you just need the understanding to get a half decent grade.
Applying for Computer Science at Southampton, received an offer for AADistinction in Maths/FM/BTEC Comp :smile:

i applied for computer science and firmed reading for AAB but I'm sitting FM in one year so I'm not totally sure what i will end up with:/
Original post by ThatGuy153
im in a similar boat i need an AAB with an A in maths but i have little to no hope to get an A in physics so id need the A in Fmaths. but im pretty certain i got an A* in maths and just hope they let me in with A*BB (maths degree)

Yeah hopefully they are lenient with the entry grades! Good luck :smile:
Reply 553
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Well you won't cos grade boundaries...also extra difficulty is thoroughly exaggerated in an actual exam situation. But yes it is good to do for more challenging questions

Haha I was gonna do it anyway. I did IAL 15 today and it seemed easy enough - got comfortably above full. The low boundaries really surprised me. I hope I get boundaries like that!
https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f0675717665774b02557b0.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWE5bVRTVE9BLW8/June%202015%20QP%20-%20FP3%20Edexcel.pdf

Can someone sketch the hyperbola with two asymptotes that intersect with a tangent to the hyperbola, and which are the midpoint of the two points of intersection?

I can't picture it.
Can someone do 6.d
https://3a14597dd5c7aa2363f0675717665774b02557b0.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWE5bVRTVE9BLW8/June%202015%20QP%20-%20FP3%20Edexcel.pdf

I can't think of an efficient way to solve the triangle without some convoluted pythagoras.
I got 90 UMS in D2 last year

This year's FP2 I think i got like 67 raw marks. In my M2 I got about 64-66 raw marks.

Is that enough for an A*, you guys think? If not, how much UMS should I aim for in FP3 to get A* overall in Further Maths?
Original post by kelvin1338
I got 90 UMS in D2 last year

This year's FP2 I think i got like 67 raw marks. In my M2 I got about 64-66 raw marks.

Is that enough for an A*, you guys think? If not, how much UMS should I aim for in FP3 to get A* overall in Further Maths?

for Core maths you must total 480 ums marks (90=a* etc etc ) and C3 and C4 must be an A* (180 ums)

similarly for further maths you need total 480 ums but you must have 3 A2 (D2/M2 etc) modules averaging A* ( 270 ums total ) this is unfortunate since As grades contributes very little towards an A*

so uh you will need A* in fp3 unless fp2 gets low boundaries but i wouldnt bet on that
(edited 7 years ago)
Anybody wanna summarise all the areas we need to know such as 1/2(AxB) is area of triangle. What other areas do we need to know and what are they? Also does anybody know them cross product rules such as (i X j) = k. (Idk if that's right
Attachment not found

Help with part b and part c I think I did the right method im just not sure where ive gone wrong for part c and I Hav no clue about part b. Part c is on my next post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending