The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Geraer100
Okay, does it apply also to distance between planes, lines? I mean perpendicular d=shortest d?
June 2013, q8 first part the first method used in the mark scheme is really confusing, if someone can explain that, I will be really grateful!

The way I would do it, is construct a parallel plane with the same normal vector.

The minus the two planes.

The mark scheme just used the equation on page 10

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/N38210A-GCE-Mathematical-Formulae-Statistical-Tables.pdf
Original post by somevirtualguy
Honestly I don't have anything in my notes on finding the distance between two planes or a line and a plane. You only need to concern yourself with the distance between a point and a plane/line.

Regarding the distances between two lines, you'll either be asked to find the distance between two parallel lines or two skew ones.

And yes the dot product must equal 0 because cos(90) is 0.

Try visualising a line and the origin, no matter how you draw it, the shortest distance between the line and the origin will always be perpendicular to the line.

Hope this has helped

Really thanks for this, my worst topic is Vector. Good luck for tomorrow everyone!
Original post by Armpits
The way I would do it, is construct a parallel plane with the same normal vector.

The minus the two planes.

The mark scheme just used the equation on page 10

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/N38210A-GCE-Mathematical-Formulae-Statistical-Tables.pdf

Thanks!!Yes I did that question with that method as well, but I was just wondering what formula they used, now I see!! Good luck for tomorrow!
Original post by Hineshtailor
yeah you can lol but, you only find that out the question after, i also assumed that at first

ah okay thank you for that
Original post by Geraer100
Thanks!!Yes I did that question with that method as well, but I was just wondering what formula they used, now I see!! Good luck for tomorrow!

for distance between two planes isnt it just, a.nhat minus the other a.nhat???
when given the equation of the plane is r.n=a.n
Good luck fellas.
Original post by Hineshtailor
for distance between two planes isnt it just, a.nhat minus the other a.nhat???
when given the equation of the plane is r.n=a.n

That question was about the perpendicular distance between a point and the plane, and you could use the method you said or use the formula in the formula booklet. For the distance between two planes, I don't know how to find that

The distance of Q and R with Origin
Is the determinant of a 2 by 2 matrix in the formula book?
Original post by EricPiphany
Is the determinant of a 2 by 2 matrix in the formula book?

the determinent of a 2x2 is the same way so top left time bottom right - bottom left times top right
anyone remember distances between parallel lines i've just realised about them nearly forgot some help please.
For x=arcosh2, are there two solutions, ln(2+-sqroot(3))?
Original post by Major-fury
the determinent of a 2x2 is the same way so top left time bottom right - bottom left times top right

Whoops, of course. I meant inverse.
Whoops, of course. I meant inverse.

1/det(a) then you multiply the matrix but a=d , b=-b,c=-c,d=a
Original post by Major-fury
1/det(a) then you multiply the matrix but a=d , b=-b,c=-c,d=a

Ye, but my memory isn't that great... lol.
Ye, but my memory isn't that great... lol.

just type in the inverse of a 2x2 online should show it much more clearly.

Triangle area, with the sides worked out using Pythagoras' theorem, hence why you see the squared roots.
just a quick reminder, remember the formula for when the surface area revolution if y is rotated around the y axis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending