The Student Room Group

Ljubljana, Slovenia

Just looking for some feedback and reviews on a potential holiday to Ljubjana - is there much to see and do?

One thing appealing is reading there's some mountains nearby for some day hiking. For me it's a big plus to have that option open whilst being based in a city (something I liked about Sofia).

I've heard Bled raved about but hear it's expensive....
Original post by Fusion
Just looking for some feedback and reviews on a potential holiday to Ljubjana - is there much to see and do?

One thing appealing is reading there's some mountains nearby for some day hiking. For me it's a big plus to have that option open whilst being based in a city (something I liked about Sofia).

I've heard Bled raved about but hear it's expensive....

I stopped there whilst interrailing. It's a cool little city, I'd spend like 2/3 days there max, you could do a week if you do trips to other places.

Lake Bled is amazing (unfortunately I didn't get to go and I was gutted), I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. It's on the other side of Slovenia though so you'll have to make it a day trip. There's loads of cool places to go caving and stuff just outside the city so I'd check that out too.

Incredibly safe (compared to other Balkan countries) and the people are lovely and hospitable.

In Ljubljana itself the castle is cool as well as the market if it's on, and the Metelkova district is interesting. Honestly, I love the city, and would recommend going, but I really don't think there's enough to keep you going in the city alone depending on how long you're planning on staying. But yeah, it's great, 8/10 would recommend!
Ljubljana is beautiful, but tiny. I was happy with just half a day there, but you could probably find enough to fill 2 days. Bled is only a couple of hours away and easily visited on a day trip. Bled isn't really any more expensive than Ljubljana- yes, there are expensive hotels there but there are also hostels. Prices for food and transport are the same. I'd recommend spending a few nights in the city and then a few somewhere in the mountain region- whether Bled or possibly Bohinj (much more beautiful but also more 'wild'- whereas Bled is more of a town/tourist resort). In 3 days you could, without rushing too much, experience the city, Bled and a little hiking in the mountains.

To compare with Sofia, Ljubljana is much, much smaller, has a 'quainter' feel (more picturesque old buildings) and is is much more expensive. Crime isn't a consideration in either city. Ljubljana feels and looks considerably richer, far fewer dilapidated buildings and no stray dogs. Sofia has a much more 'big city' feel and more going on, but less to look at.

Have a look at Sarajevo too, the mountains are right outside the city and it tops both Ljubljana and Sofia for beauty and atmosphere; plus feels a bit more diverse with the range of architectural styles and the very stark differences between the more Austrian-style centre and the Ottoman feel of another part of the city.
Why visit paltry little Slovenia when Croatia is right next door?

I would argue that Croatia has everything Slovenia does, but more. From ancient city cores of Pula, Zadar, Split and Dubrovnik, to national parks like Plitvice Lakes or Krka. Also, and I think this is pretty obvious, the beaches and the entire Dalmatian coast (especially islands - Brac, Hvar and Korcula) have some of the most stunning scenery imaginable and, as advertised by Alfred Hitchcock, the most beautiful sunsets anywhere in the world.

As far as crime and safety are concerned, there's nothing for you to worry about in that regard. I've never felt unsafe whilst there and I legitimately enjoyed my time there. People are very hospitable, the days are long, relaxed and there's always the opportunity to fill them with all sorts of activities - from swimming, hiking, kayaking, boat trips and clubs and bars in the evenings. You'll never be bored in Croatia, I promise you that.
Reply 4
Original post by standreams

Have a look at Sarajevo too, the mountains are right outside the city and it tops both Ljubljana and Sofia for beauty and atmosphere; plus feels a bit more diverse with the range of architectural styles and the very stark differences between the more Austrian-style centre and the Ottoman feel of another part of the city.

I've considered Sarajevo, deffo wanna visit some time. But there's no cheap flights there. And even then they involve a changeover. Which is why I would look into a short interrail holiday - taking in 2-3 places in that region.
Reply 5
Original post by Withengar
Why visit paltry little Slovenia when Croatia is right next door?

I would argue that Croatia has everything Slovenia does, but more. From ancient city cores of Pula, Zadar, Split and Dubrovnik, to national parks like Plitvice Lakes or Krka. Also, and I think this is pretty obvious, the beaches and the entire Dalmatian coast (especially islands - Brac, Hvar and Korcula) have some of the most stunning scenery imaginable and, as advertised by Alfred Hitchcock, the most beautiful sunsets anywhere in the world.

As far as crime and safety are concerned, there's nothing for you to worry about in that regard. I've never felt unsafe whilst there and I legitimately enjoyed my time there. People are very hospitable, the days are long, relaxed and there's always the opportunity to fill them with all sorts of activities - from swimming, hiking, kayaking, boat trips and clubs and bars in the evenings. You'll never be bored in Croatia, I promise you that.

Croatia is somewhere I've contemplated, I remember checking hostel accomodation in either Split or Dubronik and everywhere was outrageously priced.

Quick Reply

Latest