The Student Room Group

Conservative Leadership Contest 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
*Deputy PM

No I mean, a surge of support for UKIP and Farage PM in 2020
I think Theresa May would be the best for the party. She wasn't heavily involved in the EU referendum and I think she'll unite the Conservative Party. The problem with Boris is that - although he's popular with the Tories - will he resonate with the electorate? Admittedly, a sausage roll is enough to beat Corbyn's Labour but I think a moderate is a much better option than Johnson.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
No I mean, a surge of support for UKIP and Farage PM in 2020

Only if free movement of people remains.

If the govt. is successful in their deal in staying in the single market without free movement of people (not saying they will be) then UKIP will run themselves into the ground.

Problem with UKIP is that they're an unsustainable political party, in fact they're pretty much a pressure group. Once EU membership and immigration have been solved they'll be in the history books. I know they have other policies, but the bulk of their core support care only about those two things.
How old do you have to be to vote in the leadership election? I'm 17 and have been a member for roughly half a year.
Interesting lineup so far and a few points to make.

1) It's worth saying that the favourate has apparently not won since Eden in 53 (Boris has Gove on side though, very respected by MP's and was pushed to run hiimself).

2) I don't recall reading of a leadership election in which the Tories have ever gone for the candidate on the right of the options so that probably rules out Fox.

Right now i think that Boris, May and Crabb are the main contenders. Boris has the personality and is smart enough to be making peace with the Remain side, additionally he's not really a euro-skeptic so he'll be more willing to propose a solution that appeases both sides. May is extremely competent, strong and the media will paint her as Thatcher reborn, she's also probably the most euro-skeptic of the three and likely backed Cameron out of loyalty (something i praise her for, she went up in my estimation). Downside is she's not especially charismatic or inspiring so that might drag her down at conference and election debates. Crabb is more the unknown quantity ideologically, all we really know is he's a Thacherite who dislikes gays for religious reasons. He does have the narrative (poor boy done good) and has backed himself up with another like him (Javid), he comes across well and can paint himself as the product of aspiration.

For me to be a foot soldier for any of them i want to see Boris prove there's more to him than self interest, i want to see May act as a unifying force and i want to see Crabb flesh out his wider ideological stances.
Original post by jake4198
I think Theresa May would be the best for the party. She wasn't heavily involved in the EU referendum and I think she'll unite the Conservative Party. The problem with Boris is that - although he's popular with the Tories - will he resonate with the electorate? Admittedly, a sausage roll is enough to beat Corbyn's Labour but I think a moderate is a much better option than Johnson.

Boris is much more moderate than May, i think what you mean is that he's divisive.

Original post by jamestg
How old do you have to be to vote in the leadership election? I'm 17 and have been a member for roughly half a year.

You can vote so long as you were a member on June 9th..
Original post by Rakas21
Boris is much more moderate than May, i think what you mean is that he's divisive.

You can vote so long as you were a member on June 9th..

Great! And I must say you spoke my mind in the last bit of your first post :biggrin:
Gove has declared he's standing, he has my full support.
Reply 28
Original post by Rakas21
Gove has declared he's standing, he has my full support.

https://youtu.be/qW0irKAZia0

It won't do much to his campaign, but I always enjoy it when videos like this emerge.
Gove and Leadsom to stand .
Boris has no chance
Jeremy Hunt WILL NOT Stand and backs May

OP Updated
If Gove makes it to the final two he's got my vote.

Second choice would have to be May.
Nicky Morgan WILL NOT Stand , Backs Gove
OP Updated
Original post by BrightonDunkley
If Gove makes it to the final two he's got my vote.

Second choice would have to be May.

I'm happily with either of them as PM to be honest
Although i will be voting May all the way
Current tory leadership battle is basically choosing between AIDS, cancer or malaria.

Guess it's time to get a poster of Gove for my bedroom, shame it'll be placed in front of my dart board...

As for Boris, he'll be too divisive within the tory party and outside. I for one would never vote for him ever.

May deserves not an ounce of broadcasting time; to keep silent on such an important issue for political gain is not what a future prime minister should be doing. Fair play to Cameron at least he put a strong opinion forward rather than backing out of the debate.

Andrea Leadsom came across as a nasty little witch in the campaign, with all catchphrase no substance. I can't see her getting anywhere near the leader spot.

Don't know enough about Crabb or Fox to comment on them, so won't comment on them.

From the looks of it though, I won't be voting Labour or tory at the next election
Boris will NOT stand for PM or party leader.

Well played Boris, well played.
Bojo Ruled out
OP Updated
We cannot have a Remainiac as PM it has to be a Brexiteer. Although not standing I would advocate Jacob Rees Mogg. Out of all those confirmed my support would be for Andrea Ledsome or Gove.
I believe Philip Hammond should stand for PM. I hope he throws his hat in the ring!
We need a poll, five candidates announced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending