The Student Room Group

Need help prepping for AS English Language

Hey, I'm enrolling at sixth form in September and they've given us a small list of texts I'll have to collect in order to analyse and work with over the summer but I'm having trouble finding a few of them. If any of you guys know where I can find any of these types of texts, I'd really appreciate it if you could put a link.

so, I'm looking for, and I'll just quote exactly from the sheet so we don't end up playing a bad game of Chinese whispers;

A variety of different texts including:
Different Purposes- Argue, persuade, inform, entertain, describe, review, instruct etc.

Different audiences- young children, young adults, males, females, teenagers, parents, and families etc.

Different modes- Spoken, written, multi-modal.

Different times- Varying across the decades (eg. the 1950s) or periods (eg. Victorian)

Different forms- Literature, article, letter, advert etc.

I'll be looking for all of these myself but any content you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LewisTindall
Hey, I'm enrolling at sixth form in September and they've given us a small list of texts I'll have to collect in order to analyse and work with over the summer but I'm having trouble finding a few of them. If any of you guys know where I can find any of these types of texts, I'd really appreciate it if you could put a link.

so, I'm looking for, and I'll just quote exactly from the sheet so we don't end up playing a bad game of Chinese whispers;

A variety of different texts including:
Different Purposes- Argue, persuade, inform, entertain, describe, review, instruct etc.

Different audiences- young children, young adults, males, females, teenagers, parents, and families etc.

Different times- Varying across the decades (eg. the 1950s) or periods (eg. Victorian)

I'll be looking for all of these myself but any content you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

you can look at a text where someone is arguing to make the audience do something! it could be anything, e.g. a letter to inform about a charity or donation etc it could be anything really

look at the text which targeted the audience e.g. you can look at the magazine which is targeted at adults or a text which is easy to read, plain english which is for children or young adults
do some research on that, i just googled it and find loads of info
again, if you google, you'll find information about this

look at the leaflets, newspaper to gather the information you need
in conclusion- you need to do research to gather the information :yep:
:goodluck:

Quick Reply

Latest