The Student Room Group

Is it too unprofessional to hand over a hand written CV?

So I have the dilemma that I have an interview coming up and don't have a printer available- I don't own one and the only other one that could be available to use is broken.
Do you think an employer would frown on a hand written CV because I don't want to turn up without one or would you think they'd accept it? On another note, my hand writing is pretty neat and clear to read so it's not like they wouldn't be able to properly understand it.
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Internet cafe, you can print it out! :smile:
Would probably look better printed... Could you not even use a public library for example?
Reply 3
Oh god. That would make you come across as at least one of the following:

a) the most inefficient person ever
b) the most disorganised person ever
c) the most arrogant person ever
Original post by RobynSix

I'd demonstrate my problem solving skills by finding a printer. Or rather, I'd not demonstrate I was stumped by a fairly basic 1st world problem, by not being able to produce a printed CV. Been there, seen it, asked a friend to print it off for me!
Try the library! Handing in a hand written one looks pretty unprofessional and I'd be surprised if it got you a job. Save it to your email or to a memory stick and have a go at printing it off there. It'll only take a few minutes and will only cost a few pence.
Just e-mail them your CV or take it on a USB and ask the receptionist if she would mind printing one off or just find a printers, the library or one of many shops where they will print one off for you. It would make you look poorly organised and unprofessional if you used the printer excuse.
Use a neighbours printer? Use a school printer? Use a library printer? Fix your own printer? What is the problem????????
Reply 8
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Would probably look better printed... Could you not even use a public library for example?

I thought about this, did some looking around- as well as for any internet cafes that had one- and there are generally none.
Reply 9
Original post by SalazarSlytherin
Use a neighbours printer? Use a school printer? Use a library printer? Fix your own printer? What is the problem????????

Neighbours are new to us as we moved in to a new house around a month ago and don't know if they even have one- we've yet to talk to them and I feel as though that'd just be kinda rude. I don't go to college as of right now as I left to go to a new one next year and literally don't own a printer due to lack of funds (me and my mum aren't the most well off people).
Lol you sound determined not to find a solution.

When is your interview and what time?

Unless its 9am Monday, then you dont really have an excuse. Any library, college or printers will print you a copy.
Why cant you get it printed at college?
The old one or the new one? Simply explain your situation. You can also ask a Job centre+ if they would do it for you.
In the event you decide that is impossible then the people interviewing you will do it.
(edited 7 years ago)
tbh I'd probably turn up with no CV (assuming they hadn't specifically requested you bring one) rather than a hand written one

you will look like you have no idea about professional norms, can't make sensible decisions and are probably pretty lazy as it's not hard to find somewhere which will print something off for you (library, internet cafe, family/friend)
Reply 12
Its Saturday but I don't go to either college at the moment. Old one I am officially unenrolled from and can't visit due to leaving on bad terms with my year group teacher who doesn't want people who aren't continuing next year in and new one I haven't started and don't formally know anyone who could help there.
Thanks for the advice on the job centre front- I had no idea that they did this and I'll pop in tomorrow!
I am sure there is plenty of ways to have a professional, electronic copy of your CV, do not reside to a handwritten copy I mean come on.
You definitely should not hand in a hand-written CV. If you genuinely can't find a printer anywhere (which I find hard to believe, there have been plenty of sensible suggestions in this thread) then I'd email them an electronic copy.
So I have the dilemma that I have an interview coming up and don't have a printer available- I don't own one and the only other one that could be available to use is broken.
Do you think an employer would frown on a hand written CV because I don't want to turn up without one or would you think they'd accept it? On another note, my hand writing is pretty neat and clear to read so it's not like they wouldn't be able to properly understand it.
Thanks!

Shops like Staples and Rymans do printing very cheaply.
Neighbours are new to us as we moved in to a new house around a month ago and don't know if they even have one- we've yet to talk to them and I feel as though that'd just be kinda rude. I don't go to college as of right now as I left to go to a new one next year and literally don't own a printer due to lack of funds (me and my mum aren't the most well off people).

Its even more rude to have been around for a month and have not talked to any one of your idk how many neighbours. Its ironic how you can afford to move house but cant spend £30 for a printer
Thanks!

Ask to borrow a friends printer - go to the library ect - there are plenty of ways you could get a printed copy !
Thanks!

Not even lying. I think the uniqueness of a handwritten CV would win me over provided the person is adept for the job. In an overly digitalised world, a bit of old school certainly would be nice!
Ugh, its 2016 not 1916. I'm not sure its ever acceptable to write anything in business by hand.

Latest

Trending

Trending