The Student Room Group

Conservative Leadership Contest 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
May for leader/PM.

Leadsom's only real case is "more real world experience". yep, that matters, but as does top level cabinet experience. most PMs, even Leaders of the Opposition, have been longstanding Cabinet members before being PMs. Brown, Major, Thatcher, Heath, Eden, Macmillan, Churchill, were all such.

plus it's good to have a PM that even for a 60 year old woman has a curvy body and good dress sense/style....

Original post by jamestg
This hits the nail on the head I think.

However... Conservative party members are quite rational and will see experience as of huge importance. Particularly in a time of huge change and uncertainty. Having someone who was described as "the worst government minister", heading the government seems ludicrous. Even Leadsom's 'boss', Amber Rudd, doesn't think she'll be capable.

I for one will be voting and campaigning for May. (time to get rid of my Gove TSR signature though...)
As Rakas says though Tories are already in power so it may be worth risking it to get a more ideological Tory in.

As a labour member, if we say labour had a majority and the Tories were in complete disarray, I'd certainly be tempted to vote a more ideological, left wing candidate in than if we were in opposition.

**I just think Leadsom will appeal more to the direct interests of the Tory membership than May would and that could be key.**
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 82
God help us.
Reply 83
Original post by Midlander
I feel that people voted for a Conservative party led by David Cameron and with Britain inside the EU. Both those things either have changed or have had a mandate to change and for me that changes the goalposts enough to warrant another election once the Tories decide on their new leader.

The only way I can see a new election justified is if the next leader brings in an entirely new agenda. If May wins that is very unlikely, I imagine we'll see a similar vein to Cameron, judging by her don't rock the boat campaign. If Leadsom wins and announces a whole new program you may have a point. But I maintain now is a very poor time to begin an election. Article 50 needs to be activated now or pushed off until the end of 2017.
Original post by Rakas21
True.

I have faith that the Tories are not Labour though, they won't elect Leadsom although the fact they are in power already concerns me (Tories care about power and so would vote May in opposition, they are in power either way now).

I may join James and start campaigning for May myself given the Labour and Liberal alternatives now..

Leadsom as PM Would be disastrous , She just doesn't have the experience of holding a high ranking government position and like Jamestg rightfully said we need someone with experience to lead us through a time of change and uncertainly with the UKs position changing every few minutes it's important that someone ( Like May ) Can lead us out of the EU
Original post by A1112787
Constitutionally, no election is required. The Party has the mandate and the PM is not directly elected.

Calling an election would inevitably lead to an increased (perhaps substantially increased) Tory majority, though, so I'm not entirely against it.

I was going to say, a general election is the last thing Labour need right now....
They're going to vote Leadson. The Tories grass roots have their country back and want a Corbyn of the right.
Leadsom to withraw around Midday.

Glory to our new Prime Minister, May. The woman who just declared she's putting workers on boards and making pay ratios transparent (aiming squarely at Labour voters).

Original post by Davij038
They're going to vote Leadson. The Tories grass roots have their country back and want a Corbyn of the right.

Seems i was right.
Reply 88
Reply 89
Original post by Rakas21

Glory to our new Prime Minister, May. The woman who just declared she's putting workers on boards and making pay ratios transparent (aiming squarely at Labour voters).

Seems i was right.

Reports say Gove might be asked to re-enter the ballot.

I'd be surprised if he bothered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Reports say Gove might be asked to re-enter the ballot.

I'd be surprised if he bothered.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gove is establishment and wants a cabinet position, he won't run.
Original post by Rakas21

Seems i was right.

Bloody establishment ! :wink:

Let's see...

Apparently it's the duty of the 1932 committee to find a suitable replacement candidate.
Reply 92
Original post by Rakas21
Gove is establishment and wants a cabinet position, he won't run.

Indeed.
Original post by jneill
IDS notably absent at Leadsom's announcement.

???

He is right there.
Original post by Davij038
Bloody establishment ! :wink:

Let's see...

Apparently it's the duty of the 1932 committee to find a suitable replacement candidate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
"They think its all over, it is now!"
Reply 96
Original post by _Morsey_
???

He is right there.

Ah, missed him skulking at the back :wink:
She's withdrawn and backed May!

Although I support May myself, I can't help but call Leadsom a cuck for selling out in such a manner :laugh:
Goodbye Andrea! :wavey: You were wonderful. Well, not really.
LOL, she probably thinks she'll get a promotion, possibly a spot in the cabinet. What a cuck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending