The Student Room Group

Decadence Essay

So I have to write an essay on "To what extent are beauty and rot corresponded in English Decadent Verse" and I'm struggling.

It's strictly poetry and any info welcomed!

Thanks!
Original post by LilTeegs
So I have to write an essay on "To what extent are beauty and rot corresponded in English Decadent Verse" and I'm struggling.

It's strictly poetry and any info welcomed!

Thanks!

Do you have any poems in mind yet? I'm assuming 'Decadent Verse' is late 1800s/early 1900s poetry (when I did 'decadence in literature' it was all turn of the century stuff).
I don't know if this is even relevant, but the beauty/rot paradigm in decadent literature is usually about shallow, outer beauty and inner, rotten morals (Dorian Gray is the pinnacle of this) so look out for those themes in the poetry you're looking at :smile:
Reply 3
Hey! Yeah, you're spot on. I've got to use one or two that we examined in class, such as Theodore Wratislaw's 'Orchids' or 'White Lillies' or 'Sonnet Macarbe'. Other options are Ernest Dowson's 'Translation' or 'Libera Me' or 'A Last Word'. It's pretty open though... I'm just finding it hard. It seems as though rot is presented as a moral decay rather than a material/literal one.
Original post by LilTeegs
Hey! Yeah, you're spot on. I've got to use one or two that we examined in class, such as Theodore Wratislaw's 'Orchids' or 'White Lillies' or 'Sonnet Macarbe'. Other options are Ernest Dowson's 'Translation' or 'Libera Me' or 'A Last Word'. It's pretty open though... I'm just finding it hard. It seems as though rot is presented as a moral decay rather than a material/literal one.

I think Orchids is a really good one to use! I liked this stanza:

Their ardent colours that betray the rank
Fierce hotbed of corruption whence they rose
Please eyes that long for stranger sweets than prank
Wild meadow-blooms and what the garden shows.

It really touches on beauty being cultivated in order to cover and distract from immorality and corruption.

I was thinking more people when you first posted about this, but these ones about flowers are really interesting.
Reply 5
Original post by Fox Corner
I think Orchids is a really good one to use! I liked this stanza:

It really touches on beauty being cultivated in order to cover and distract from immorality and corruption.

I was thinking more people when you first posted about this, but these ones about flowers are really interesting.

That's interesting. If you have any other poets and/or recommendations for poems then please throw it out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending