The Student Room Group

If Islamophobia is the problem...

If Islamophobia is the main problem, how come these terrorists aren't mainly targeting PEGIDA, anti-Islam, or far-right rallies? It's true that Islamists have attacked some people that have mocked their prophet, but the biggest attacks have been on the indiscriminate masses, or even on gay people, a group which has been traditionally pretty tolerant of Muslims.

There are multiple causes behind these attacks. Perhaps a discriminatory insult towards one of these attackers when they were young helped them on their path to extremism. But I firmly believe that in attacks in the West, their biggest anger comes from a kind of sadism felt towards all aspects that seem to most unabashedly represent our liberal societies. Recently they have attacked celebrations, people drinking and dining, people attending a rock concert, people outside sports stadiums, at a listening party, and people in a gay night club. There was of course also the Brussels attack, which was a fairly typical attempt to immobilize society to some degree. But these other attacks have a different slant to them; they seek to fight against the freedoms we enjoy. Although they can be compared to attacks in the Middle East or Africa, they are also different in nature.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by KingBradly
If Islamophobia is the main problem, how come these terrorists aren't mainly targeting PEGIDA, anti-Islam, or far-right rallies? It's true that Islamists have attacked some people that have mocked their prophet, but the biggest attacks have been on the indiscriminate masses, or even on gay people, a group which has been traditionally pretty tolerant of Muslims.

There are multiple causes behind these attacks. Perhaps a discriminatory insult towards one of these attackers when they were young helped them on their path to extremism. But I firmly believe that in attacks in the West, their biggest anger comes from a kind of sadism felt towards all aspects that seem to most unabashedly represent our liberal societies. Recently they have attacked celebrations, people drinking and dining, people attending a rock concert, people outside sports stadiums, at a listening party, and people in a gay night club. There was of course also the Brussels attack, which was a fairly typical attempt to immobilize society to some degree. But these other attacks have a different slant to them; they seek to fight against the freedoms we enjoy. Although they can be compared to attacks in the Middle East or Africa, they are also different in nature.

I don't think that's what it is. In my opinion, they just go for crowded, easily accessible places.
Because when young, poverty struck Muslims see islamophobia it draws them to radical groups who then urge them to commit an atrocity. It's pretty basic logic mate.

And they don't have to be poverty struck, they just have to be weak minded
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Proximo
Because when young, poverty struck Muslims see islamaphobia it draws them to radical groups who then urge them to commit an atrocity. It's pretty basic logic mate.

And they don't have to be poverty struck,not hey just have to be weak minded

But do you think Islamophobia is the main cause? Also, you haven't answered my question.
(edited 7 years ago)
But do you think Islamophobia is the main cause?

I think it's one of many problems, maybe not the main one though. I explore this in my thread on this forum if you're interested
Reply 5
Original post by Ciel.
I don't think that's what it is. In my opinion, they just go for crowded, easily accessible places.

The Orlando killer supposedly did what he did after seeing two gay men kissing. These people hate Western society because they see it as immoral.
Reply 6
Original post by Proximo
I think it's one of many problems, maybe not the main one though. I explore this in my thread on this forum if you're interested

So you're not actually countering what I said then?
Reply 7
The Orlando killer supposedly did what he did after seeing two gay men kissing. These people hate Western society because they see it as immoral.

Don't really believe that. A lot of people do a lot more than just kiss on a regular basis in gay bars, and he was a regular visitor so he'd seen stuff many times. Apparently, he was gay, too.

The Orlando killer was a self-hating gay man.
So you're not actually countering what I said then?

Why are you so thirsty for heated arguments? You asked in your post why they weren't targeting far right groups and why they attack anyone and how islamophobia is a problem. I answered.

There is no main problem, it's a range of issues, all have to be resolved
Original post by Dima-Blackburn

Yea, he was in a gay sexual relationship himself
Reply 11
Original post by Proximo
Why are you so thirsty for heated arguments? You asked in your post why they weren't targeting far right groups and why they attack anyone and how islamophobia is a problem. I answered.

There is no main problem, it's a range of issues, all have to be resolved

My post was against the idea that Islamophobia is the main problem, and I also articulated how Islamophobia could occasionally be a factor, so I was just wondering what the need was for your first comment. If you tell someone something that they've literally just said, and in a really condescending and snide way that insinuates they're too stupid to have considered it, they generally don't like it. If you're suprised that I seem "heated", perhaps you should learn some people skills.
Reply 12
Original post by Proximo
Yea, he was in a gay sexual relationship himself

Original post by Dima-Blackburn

Splitting is a fairly well known psychological phenomena. It he hadn't hated homosexuality, he wouldn't have done it. The fact that he was gay himself only made it worse by creating a greater split in his character.
Reply 13
Original post by Ciel.
Don't really believe that. A lot of people do a lot more than just kiss on a regular basis in gay bars, and he was a regular visitor so he'd seen stuff many times. Apparently, he was gay, too.

Why does the fact he was gay make a difference? Clearly he still hated homosexuality.
Urgh, did this really need a new thread, there's already one there.
Reply 15
Original post by dingleberry jam
Urgh, did this really need a new thread, there's already one there.

A thread which makes this particular point?
I wonder why ISIS hasn't attacked Israel once.
A thread which makes this particular point?

A thread perfect for this point, you know the it's all the fault of islamophobia thread.
Reply 18
Why does the fact he was gay make a difference? Clearly he still hated homosexuality.

Well, he had a dating profile on a gay website so I don't think a kissing couple would 'trigger' anything.
Reply 19
Original post by Ciel.
Well, he had a dating profile on a gay website so I don't think a kissing couple would 'trigger' anything.

Regardless, the fact he was gay only makes it seem more likely that the attack on the club was an attack on gay culture, and that he was psychologically splitting. His father was a pretty hardline Muslim and he probably felt deeply ashamed of himself for being gay. This anger then came out as an attack on the gay community. If he hadn't have been gay, the idea that he attacked the club for the sole reason that there was a lot of people there would actually seem slightly more plausible. The fact he was gay only makes it easier to see how his Islamic background may have conflicted with this and how he thus began to hate himself and build up a huge amount of anger.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending