The Student Room Group

Military going nuts in turkey, Bridges closed?

Scroll to see replies

The usual fear mongering WW3 idiots are at it again.
Original post by Drewski
It appears they're leading the coup.
Original post by TelAviv
All of the military I've seen in Istanbul is supporting the coup, including the helicopter shooting and the jets. Also a few pictures of soldiers arresting police officers - looks like a video game!
Original post by TercioOfParma
Army in streets coup support, not sure but I think the pro erdogan military have yet to mobilise. It has been only 2-3 hours.
Original post by Mathemagicien
BothArmy rebels took the army chief as a hostage, apparently
Thank you for the replies guys.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Filler
Nostradamus predicted WW3 would start in 2016. He also predicted you would say that

He also said your mum would give birth to an idiot.
Turkish military have imposed Martial Law
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
I fail to see how Turkey fighting itself is WW3.

Turkey is a very important country for the balance of power in the Middle East. If Turkey goes to the dogs as well as all the other failed states it is surrounded by then who knows what could happen next in the region.

Plus Russia always has Black Sea aspirations, we saw what happened in Crimea when the troubles kicked off in Ukraine (yes Russia just patched up their Turkey relations but does that really mean much?)

It's a NATO member which raises the stakes as well if things kick off.

In all likelihood it will pass and we'll just end up with another equally abhorrent Islamist as president, but there is potential for things to happen if Erdogan wants to play like Assad.
Original post by Grumpyteen
Lol I'm supposed to be going on Tuesday. I don't want to go now.

Maybe you shouldn't go.
Original post by george_c00per
Oh god it probably won't be over by then either. Good luck!

Thanks. I want to just cancel the holiday now and go somewhere peaceful instead like Italy. I will probably still end up going to Turkey though... :/
Original post by Filler
Nostradamus predicted WW3 would start in 2016. He also predicted you would say that

the Summer it raineth everye daye, but the May cometh into flower in Julye
Looks like the military have the upper-hand so far. Worst-case scenario would be substantial opposition to the coup resulting in bloodshed.

I'm meant to be going there in just over two weeks as well: travellers will have to wait for advice, it seems.

The line of the government seems to be all talk; there hasn't been any significant opposition to the coup except from scattered police forces.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by saraxh
Maybe you shouldn't go.

You think so? I am going to the south of Turkey though... Nowhere near Ankara or Istanbul...
Original post by Grumpyteen
Thanks. I want to just cancel the holiday now and go somewhere peaceful instead like Italy. I will probably still end up going to Turkey though... :/

Be safe and go somewhere else seeing as though you're going in 5 days. Italy is lovely!! :smile:
Reply 111
Original post by Drewski
He also said your mum would give birth to an idiot.

Keep telling yourself it wont happen. Ill be in my safe safe safe cave
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
"Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law and general security that was damaged. "

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

I think I support the coup...

Isn't a similar narrative pushed by any coup? You don't get all those soldiers to march through their own streets if you tell them you're going to be the next big dictator.
Army rebels: we are in control.
Government: We are in control.
Original post by the bear
the Summer it raineth everye daye, but the May cometh into flower in Julye

Sounds about right for the UK weather forecast this summer...
Original post by Aj12
Clearly Boris masterminded this coup to avoid the embarrassment of meeting Erdogan.

I get the feeling this is probably going to be one of the more reasonable conspiracy theories to emerge about this coup attempt.
Original post by viddy9
Looks like the military have the upper-hand so far. Worst-case scenario would be substantial opposition to the coup resulting in bloodshed.

I'm meant to be going there in just over two weeks as well: travellers will have to wait for advice, it seems.

The line of the government seems to be all talk; there hasn't been any significant opposition to the coup except from scattered police forces.

You mean a civil war, which could last for years, killing tens of thousands of people?
Original post by Al-farhan
Army rebels: we are in control.Government: We are in control.
Hopefully the army is in control.
God, I really hope this doesn't escalate...
Turkish Habar channel: President heading to Ankara.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending