The Student Room Group

Why isn't France 'good enough' for the Calais refugees?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MildredMalone
There's a whole planet out there. We should be able to dictate who can come into our country, but not wherever ele they go. Let them ruun someone else's country.

But can you not see how that doesn't work. If we set the example by closing our borders and not taking any asylum seekers - and I am talking about asylum seekers here, not illegal immigrants, so too will everyone else and then we will be back to square one.

Burying our head in the sand and pretending it isn't happening is all well and good, but it is happening. Better to be in control and manage the situation than pretend it isn't happening. If you have money, getting into this country through border control is easy. No amount of people will solve that problem. Better allow people in but keep an eye on them than allow them to disappear.
Original post by ByEeek
But can you not see how that doesn't work. If we set the example by closing our borders and not taking any asylum seekers - and I am talking about asylum seekers here, not illegal immigrants, so too will everyone else and then we will be back to square one.

If everyone closed their borders, then the migration crisis would be solved, because they wouldn't be getting anywhere.
Original post by MildredMalone
If everyone closed their borders, then the migration crisis would be solved, because they wouldn't be getting anywhere.

Hmmm - I guess as a kid, you have never played in a farmer's field then? Walls, fences and bushes don't stop you from roaming far and wide. Even the East Germans couldn't stop people escaping. Do you honestly think we have the resources to stop people coming into this country?

And don't forget that when you build a wall to keep people out, you also lock yourself in. I take it you are prepared to sacrifice foreign trips in order to keep "them" out?
No benefits?
Because nobody in their right mind except for retirees would choose to live in France over the UK.*
Original post by ByEeek
You have just proved my point. The OP asked the question "Why do immigrants want to come here when they could stay in France?" If you became an exile you wouldn't choose France either. So why should we dictate where immigrants should go. You have decided you would try and impose yourself on New Zealand. A good choice if you can afford it.

I want an unlimited supply of roquefort and my own band of minstrels to provide backing music wherever I go, but that doesn't entitle me to these things.
(edited 7 years ago)
Interesting that just Europe, isn't the promised land. It's the UK, a second category. It's because basically we are far more PC than France, and we have no sense of the national interests or solidarity(though maybe that is gradually changing), and they know that governments in the UK hate the native people and treat them like dirt, and will give them the cushiest deal. That's on welfare, maybe in other ways I dunno, Sweden and Germany are bending over backwards to let them get away with stuff and flooding themselves.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Because nobody in their right mind except for retirees would choose to live in France over the UK.*

I disagree, I think plenty of people who are not refugees, educated, can secure finances, if they downsize, would get a better quality of life in France in many ways.
It may be differing now, but they have had much more liberty too, not to mention less overcrowding, cheaper housing, better lifestyle.
Reply 28
Because we are soft in this country and they know it. Generous welfare, free healthcare and special privileges. The UK is heaven for third world migrants.
Original post by Tortle
Why are they risking so much, health etc by trying to get into the UK?

France is a first world country, with great healthcare and plenty of space, I don't really get why they are so desperately trying to get into the UK.

I know it's party because the UK offers better benefits and rights, so shouldn't we be removing these incentives now in light of Brexit?

The first Brexit move should be to remove these incentives, and let the refugees focus on starting a life within France.

The key statistic is that over 90% of asylum seekers do not claim asylum at the UK border. They only claim asylum when they are caught.

In other words those coming to the UK are not attracted by benefits.

The key difference between the UK and France is that it is, far, far easier to live and work in the black economy in this country than in France.

In France, if you try and access a school place for your child, they will ask where you reside, which means with which Mairie are you registered. In the UK they will ask where you reside, which means where do you lay your head at night.
Reply 30
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
I always thought New Zealand would be a nice bolt-hole but apparently gardening is illegal there.

Look it up. O - o

No isn't. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-zealand-gardening-ban_us_57696251e4b0a75709b7d6ac
Original post by Tortle
Why are they risking so much, health etc by trying to get into the UK?

France is a first world country, with great healthcare and plenty of space, I don't really get why they are so desperately trying to get into the UK.

I know it's party because the UK offers better benefits and rights, so shouldn't we be removing these incentives now in light of Brexit?

The first Brexit move should be to remove these incentives, and let the refugees focus on starting a life within France.

Considering how much Brexiters bang on about how "great" we are, I don't understand how they find it so difficult to grasp why people might want to come here.

Cameron's pre-referendum negotiation actually included changes to allow us to remove incentives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending