The Student Room Group

Is Maths A-Level compulsory for Medicine

Hi

I'm 16 and about to start sixth form which allows you to take 3 courses, but I'm still uncertain about which A-Level courses to take.
I wish to go into medicine as a career and I'm aware how competitive it is.
The usual subjects are Biology, Chemistry and Maths as I've seen on uni requirements (2 As and an A*).
I'm totally fine with Biology and Chemistry as that would be expeted to become a doctor, but I really struggle with Maths and I'm worried that I haven't even scraped a B (or maybe even C, though maybe I'm just paranoid) in GCSE.
When I spoke to careers advisors and school tutors they said that Maths wouldn't be advised to someone with a grade lower than an A at GCSE, and that use of maths would be better.
However I've been told repeatedly that Use of Maths won't help me at all with medicine or university applications.
How am I supposed to get an A in Maths for A-Level?
Is it compulsory to take Maths to become a GP?

Thanks
Hi Ceilele,

If you're not confident about A Level Maths, then I'd recommend you taking Physics instead - it should keep you open to the vast majority of universities. Don't worry too much, as long as you've got Biology and Chemistry sorted, you should be fine.

I wish you the best :smile:
Original post by ceilele

Not at all - IIRR only a single college at Cambridge prefer applicants with A level Maths. And there's at least one med school that has a preference for a non-science/maths A level for the 3rd subject so you don't harm your chances by not taking maths - especially if you aren't confident of your ability to get an A!

It's a common A level among med applicants but that's because it's the commonest A level overall (and over half of people taking Maths A level get an A or A* so people with A and above predictions are more likely to have Maths as one of their choices).

You don't even need Biology for all medicine schools (or you didn't - I'm sure the lovely TSR medics can correct me if that has changed).

Take a subject you think you'll do well in for your third choice.
Reply 4
Original post by tianshan
Hi Ceilele,

If you're not confident about A Level Maths, then I'd recommend you taking Physics instead - it should keep you open to the vast majority of universities. Don't worry too much, as long as you've got Biology and Chemistry sorted, you should be fine.

Ah, I forgot to mention that. Physics is even worse for me so I think that's out of the question. But thank you very much! :smile:
What others have said: no, it's not compulsory or even preferred.

Original post by tianshan
Hi Ceilele,

Even physics isn't necessary to keep the vast majority of medical schools open as options - only Cambridge requires three science/maths subjects.
Original post by ceilele
Ah, I forgot to mention that. Physics is even worse for me so I think that's out of the question. But thank you very much! :smile:

Oh right! What about Psychology? Also, this thread gives you list of entry requirements for Medicine, from different universities.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Not at all - IIRR only a single college at Cambridge prefer applicants with A level Maths. And there's at least one med school that has a preference for a non-science/maths A level for the 3rd subject so you don't harm your chances by not taking maths - especially if you aren't confident of your ability to get an A!

It's a common A level among med applicants but that's because it's the commonest A level overall (and over half of people taking Maths A level get an A or A* so people with A and above predictions are more likely to have Maths as one of their choices).

You don't even need Biology for all medicine schools (or you didn't - I'm sure the lovely TSR medics can correct me if that has changed).

Take a subject you think you'll do well in for your third choice.

That's comforting! Thank you for the helpful info + advice!
Original post by ceilele
Hi

I'm 16 and about to start sixth form which allows you to take 3 courses, but I'm still uncertain about which A-Level courses to take.
The usual subjects are Biology, Chemistry and Maths as I've seen on uni requirements (2 As and an A*).
I'm totally fine with Biology and Chemistry as that would be expeted to become a doctor, but I really struggle with Maths and I'm worried that I haven't even scraped a B (or maybe even C, though maybe I'm just paranoid) in GCSE.
When I spoke to careers advisors and school tutors they said that Maths wouldn't be advised to someone with a grade lower than an A at GCSE, and that use of maths would be better.
However I've been told repeatedly that Use of Maths won't help me at all with medicine or university applications.

Thanks

Maths a-level is not compulsory to get onto a medicine course in the UK but it may help your chances, especially if you're going to be applying to Cambridge:

''Although some Colleges consider applicants offering only two science/mathematics subjects at A Level (or equivalent), please note that the success rate of such applicants is much lower. In the past three admissions rounds, 97 per cent of applicants for Medicine (A100) offered three or more science/mathematics A Levels and, of these, 26 per cent were successful in obtaining a place. Of the three per cent of applicants who offered only two science/mathematics A Levels, just nine per cent were successful in gaining a place.'' - University of Cambridge Medicine Entry Requirements page
Reply 9
ambridge is my first choice Uni, but the older I get the more I realise it's probably unrealistic haha. But thank you! I really didn't know that :redface:
Original post by ceilele
ambridge is my first choice Uni, but the older I get the more I realise it's probably unrealistic haha. But thank you! I really didn't know that :redface:

Awww don't say that, it could happen! Work hard, get a tutor for anything you don't understand, don't be afraid to ask questions in classes. You can do it!
Original post by ceilele
Hi

Thanks

Hi ceilele

I'm hoping I can offer some advice wth this.

Chemistry is actually the only essential subject for studying medicine although Biology is strongly recommend, so you are all good with your first two subjects. What you take for your third subject is entirely up to you.

Maths and Physics are both helpful if you are thinking of applying to Oxbridge due to the theoretical nature of the course, however, they are by no means compulsory and there are many who go on to study medicine without having taken these subjects.

The most important thing is to choose a subject that you enjoy studying, as you are far more likely to do well and get the grades you require if you really enjoy the subject. You have said that you don't enjoy studying or do well at Maths or Physics, so that would suggest that these would be the wrong subjects for you to study at A-level.

You should have a read of this blog post if you have a minute as it covers this exact subject.

Do let me know if you have any questions.

Hope that helps!

UniAdmissions
No, A-Level Maths is not compulsory for medicine.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw you said Cambridge was your first choice. That's basically the only exception, whereby you would need 3 science/maths subjects.
(edited 7 years ago)
Your third A-level doesn't matter to most medical schools. I remember speaking to a medical student that did geography as her third A-level. Also if you're not good at something, you can improve on it! :dumbells:

I wouldn't listen to those career advisers. I knew a guy that got a C in Maths GCSE and he decided to do A-level Maths anyway. He ended up with an A*. :yeah:
Reply 14
As stated before Maths is definitely not required or even preferred unless applying to Cambridge. I didn't do Maths and I'm in medical skl. Your last subject should be one that you feel you would be able to attain an A or A* in. Remember anything less than AAA and you are very unlikely to get a place anywhere.
Original post by ColossalAtom
Your third A-level doesn't matter to most medical schools. I remember speaking to a medical student that did geography as her third A-level. Also if you're not good at something, you can improve on it! :dumbells:

I wouldn't listen to those career advisers. I knew a guy that got a C in Maths GCSE and he decided to do A-level Maths anyway. He ended up with an A*. :yeah:

Career advisors and teachers don't know **** about you and what you're capable of. The teachers at my school didn't want to enter me in for a higher level maths GCSE exam because I was in set 2 and they didn't think I could get anything higher than a C. I ended getting a B in the end and hopefully this september will be embarking on maths a-level to brush up my maths skills before I go back to uni to study chemistry
Reply 16
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi ceilele

I'm hoping I can offer some advice wth this.

Chemistry is actually the only essential subject for studying medicine although Biology is strongly recommend, so you are all good with your first two subjects. What you take for your third subject is entirely up to you.

Maths and Physics are both helpful if you are thinking of applying to Oxbridge due to the theoretical nature of the course, however, they are by no means compulsory and there are many who go on to study medicine without having taken these subjects.

The most important thing is to choose a subject that you enjoy studying, as you are far more likely to do well and get the grades you require if you really enjoy the subject. You have said that you don't enjoy studying or do well at Maths or Physics, so that would suggest that these would be the wrong subjects for you to study at A-level.

You should have a read of this blog post if you have a minute as it covers this exact subject.

Do let me know if you have any questions.

Hope that helps!

UniAdmissions

That's so helpful, what a relief! Thank you ever so much.
Original post by ceilele
That's so helpful, what a relief! Thank you ever so much.

You're very welcome, glad to help.

Do let me know if there is anything else I can advise on.

UniAdmissions
:five:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending