The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RavioliDance
Can I teargas James_W's house because the USA will switch off ALL of it's 2G services by the end of this year, and Japan no longer has any 2G services whatsoever for about 7 years now, whereas the UK has no plans whatsoever to end all it's 2G services because we don't want to upset the elderly? :unimpressed:

Funny you should say that because I've just read up on the Vodafone thread on Digital Spy, that Vodafone are planning to switch of 3G - yes, 3G - by 2020. Unfortunately, they are not even mentioning the switching off of 2G services! Meaning that the UK will more than likely end up having a 2G/4G scenario - useless for non 4G devices and useless for non-VoLTE devices!

1) Anything that is 2G only should be scrapped - 2G is far too old and far too inefficient to stay with us - 150kbps is NOT what I'd call a reliable data connection. And the call quality of 2G is crap too, much worse than 3G Calling (via HD Voice).
2) Non 4G devices, i.e. 2G/3G only devices will be turned into bricks (or at least Wi-fi only devices). 3G is what does the vast majority of data services on these devices and what also does the vast majority of calls across ALL devices in the UK. Since we know that 2G calling is unsuitable (see my point above), removing 3G will mean the ability to make and receive decent quality calls is removed. And of course, the ability to use data is completely removed too. Plus, there are various tablets that were made before the launch of 4G, so will be 3G only. If 3G gets switched off, then these tablets will become Wi-Fi Only devices, which negates the whole reason for buying a tablet with a 3G SIM slot in the first place!
3) Non VoLTE devices. In case you are not aware of this, VoLTE stands for Voice Over LTE, and is the way of making calls over 4G. Unfortunately, 4G did not ship with voice included, meaning that not all 4G devices (certainly the earlier 4G devices) have VoLTE capability. That means that they have to use CSFB (circuit switched fallback) to a different technology - almost always 3G.
Only the iPhone 6 and newer natively support VoLTE at present - other phones have to be flashed with the firmware for the network that you intend to be on, or bought directly from the network. So SIM free devices (that are bought from any shop) will NOT connect to VoLTE unless flashed with the correct firmware (which could even involve rooting your phone). if your phone will not connect to VoLTE, either due to firmware issues, software incompatibility, or the device being just far too old to support VoLTE in either hardware or software form, then you will have to switch to another technology via CSFB.
Now, what happens if you remove 3G? Then, you remove the CSFB layer for the phone calls that any non-VoLTE phone will require. You will make millions of devices turn into devices that can easily access the data network (via 4G), but cannot make or receive any calls! Ad what's the point in having a mobile phone that cannot make or receive calls?!

My opinion: Get 2G switched off ASAP and keep 3G going. Trust me, you wouldn't like it if I was in charge of the OFCOM licenses - as I would make 3G coverage to 95% geographical obligatory, likewise with 4G - but revoke all operators' 2G licenses with immediate effect. :wink:

And that's the end of that post.

As for James_W, do what you want with him. But of you do decide to post anything on the Virgin Media Community, remember to send me the screenshots.

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by spotify95
Funny you should say that because I've just read up on the Vodafone thread on Digital Spy, that Vodafone are planning to switch of 3G - yes, 3G - by 2020. Unfortunately, they are not even mentioning the switching off of 2G services! Meaning that the UK will more than likely end up having a 2G/4G scenario - useless for non 4G devices and useless for non-VoLTE devices!

1) Anything that is 2G only should be scrapped - 2G is far too old and far too inefficient to stay with us - 150kbps is NOT what I'd call a reliable data connection. And the call quality of 2G is crap too, much worse than 3G Calling (via HD Voice).
2) Non 4G devices, i.e. 2G/3G only devices will be turned into bricks (or at least Wi-fi only devices). 3G is what does the vast majority of data services on these devices and what also does the vast majority of calls across ALL devices in the UK. Since we know that 2G calling is unsuitable (see my point above), removing 3G will mean the ability to make and receive decent quality calls is removed. And of course, the ability to use data is completely removed too. Plus, there are various tablets that were made before the launch of 4G, so will be 3G only. If 3G gets switched off, then these tablets will become Wi-Fi Only devices, which negates the whole reason for buying a tablet with a 3G SIM slot in the first place!
3) Non VoLTE devices. In case you are not aware of this, VoLTE stands for Voice Over LTE, and is the way of making calls over 4G. Unfortunately, 4G did not ship with voice included, meaning that not all 4G devices (certainly the earlier 4G devices) have VoLTE capability. That means that they have to use CSFB (circuit switched fallback) to a different technology - almost always 3G.
Only the iPhone 6 and newer natively support VoLTE at present - other phones have to be flashed with the firmware for the network that you intend to be on, or bought directly from the network. So SIM free devices (that are bought from any shop) will NOT connect to VoLTE unless flashed with the correct firmware (which could even involve rooting your phone). if your phone will not connect to VoLTE, either due to firmware issues, software incompatibility, or the device being just far too old to support VoLTE in either hardware or software form, then you will have to switch to another technology via CSFB.
Now, what happens if you remove 3G? Then, you remove the CSFB layer for the phone calls that any non-VoLTE phone will require. You will make millions of devices turn into devices that can easily access the data network (via 4G), but cannot make or receive any calls! Ad what's the point in having a mobile phone that cannot make or receive calls?!

My opinion: Get 2G switched off ASAP and keep 3G going. Trust me, you wouldn't like it if I was in charge of the OFCOM licenses - as I would make 3G coverage to 95% geographical obligatory, likewise with 4G - but revoke all operators' 2G licenses with immediate effect. :wink:

As for James_W, do what you want with him. But of you do decide to post anything on the Virgin Media Community, remember to send me the screenshots.

And you wouldn't care about the elderly moaning about a 2G switchoff? :wink:

Original post by spotify95

Can you edit this please? :wink:

Rule 16b -19699

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Original post by Matrix123
Can we have some edits please :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't save my edits. :no:

Can't save my edits. :no:

Ohh that's odd. Fair enough
Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope! They'd have to buy new phones that are capable of at least 3G :yep:

@spotify95 This thread's nearly ending :tongue:

Original post by hamza772000
@spotify95 This thread's nearly ending :tongue:

Ah yes, that, can I be the one to start the new part please?

Latest