The Student Room Group

Is it now impossible for me to be funded throughout an entire undergraduate degree?

I was previously on a three-year undergraduate course before suspending my studies in the first term of my second year. I was later expelled (disciplinary, not academic) before resuming. I believe it counts as me studying for 2 years in terms of SFE, no?

Therefore if I applied for a three-year course I would only be eligible for (length of course I am applying for + 1 year - minus years previously studied therefore 2=) 2 years of funding?
Original post by jbedford2001
I was previously on a three-year undergraduate course before suspending my studies in the first term of my second year. I was later expelled (disciplinary, not academic) before resuming. I believe it counts as me studying for 2 years in terms of SFE, no?

Therefore if I applied for a three-year course I would only be eligible for (length of course I am applying for + 1 year - minus years previously studied therefore 2=) 2 years of funding?

Hi there, That is correct we would only award full funding for the years 2 and 3 of the new course. We can consider Compelling Personal Reasons for an additional year of study, was your previous suspension due to any specific reason? Thanks, Angela
Reply 2
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, That is correct we would only award full funding for the years 2 and 3 of the new course. We can consider Compelling Personal Reasons for an additional year of study, was your previous suspension due to any specific reason? Thanks, Angela

I took a leave of absence after the breakdown of a relationship with the person I was sharing private student accommodation with. Plus arguably bad mental health.
I took a leave of absence after the breakdown of a relationship with the person I was sharing private student accommodation with. Plus arguably bad mental health.

Hi there, We can consider awarding an additional year of funding based on Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). Acceptable evidence that we can consider is as follows:
We can accept photocopies of the following;

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Where applicable, we recommend evidence;

Is signed and dated

Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

When this took place

Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, We can consider awarding an additional year of funding based on Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR). Acceptable evidence that we can consider is as follows:
We can accept photocopies of the following;

Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper

Letter from HEP on headed paper

Letter from Social Services on headed paper

Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper

Death Certificate and/or

A Birth Certificate

Where applicable, we recommend evidence;

Is signed and dated

Confirms the reason why the student could not continue with their studies; and

When this took place

Thanks, Angela

Hi,

Do you apply for compelling personal reasons when the applications for 2024/25 student finance open in March?
Note also if you didn't receive a qualification I believe you would normally be entitled to full funding for a part-time course, if that is of interest :smile: As the full time and part-time funding processes are separate and normally previous full time study shouldn't affect your part-time entitlement if you didn't earn a qualification.
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi,

Do you apply for compelling personal reasons when the applications for 2024/25 student finance open in March?

Hi there,

Yes you can submit your Compelling Personal Reasons with your application or you can send it before the applications are open. You would just need to indicate on your cover letter that you are wanting to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons for the 2024/25 academic and are sending it in early to make sure your are eligible.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending