The Student Room Group

Student Finance Problem- Second Degree

Hello All,

I need some advice with Student Finance.

I studied biomedical sciences for two years but dropped the course due to mental health. I applied for a new (three year) degree and received CPR funding for the first year. I just entered my second year and for some reason student finance are refusing to pay for my tuition fees this year. I was under the impression that SFE would cover the last two years of my degree because I studied two years at my old course, received CPR for my first year, and I should have two more years of SFE funding left for the rest of my degree. My university is already on my case about paying for my tuition fees, the first instalment of which is due at the end of this month, so it is causing a huge headache.

I have an example from University of Manchester which details my exact situation. It says SFE should cover the entirety of my second degree if I received CPR for my first year: "Receiving funding on (CPR) grounds would mean that any future funding from Student Finance would not be affected by their Previous Study [...] A student interrupts during year 2 of a 3 year course: 3 + 1 = 4 (as above) minus 2 years = 2 years of funding remaining. If you qualified for funding on the grounds of CPR however, the above example would look as follows: Example: A student interrupts during year 2 of a 3 year course: 3 + 1 = 4 minus 2 = 2 years of funding remaining then plus 1 CPR year = 3 years of funding remaining."

I contacted four SFE advisors in a hurry today and three agreed that my second and third year should be funded but one said I am not entitled to student finance because the CPR is counted in the standard 4 years of funding, even though all other evidence says that the CPR year is not included. The other three advisors are resubmitting my case for review because the reason my tuition fee loan was rejected was not written and they agree that I should be entitled to funding this year. Can I be advised on what my entitlements are and if I am correct that the CPR year is not included in the standard 4 year funding for my tuition fees?

Many thanks.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by KoalaBear2001
Hello All,

I need some advice with Student Finance.

I studied biomedical sciences for two years but dropped the course due to mental health. I applied for a new (three year) degree and received CPR funding for the first year. I just entered my second year and for some reason student finance are refusing to pay for my tuition fees this year. I was under the impression that SFE would cover the last two years of my degree because I studied two years at my old course, received CPR for my first year, and I should have two more years of SFE funding left for the rest of my degree. My university is already on my case about paying for my tuition fees, the first instalment of which is due at the end of this month, so it is causing a huge headache.

I have an example from University of Manchester which details my exact situation. It says SFE should cover the entirety of my second degree if I received CPR for my first year: "Receiving funding on (CPR) grounds would mean that any future funding from Student Finance would not be affected by their Previous Study [...] A student interrupts during year 2 of a 3 year course: 3 + 1 = 4 (as above) minus 2 years = 2 years of funding remaining. If you qualified for funding on the grounds of CPR however, the above example would look as follows: Example: A student interrupts during year 2 of a 3 year course: 3 + 1 = 4 minus 2 = 2 years of funding remaining then plus 1 CPR year = 3 years of funding remaining."

I contacted four SFE advisors in a hurry today and three agreed that my second and third year should be funded but one said I am not entitled to student finance because the CPR is counted in the standard 4 years of funding, even though all other evidence says that the CPR year is not included. The other three advisors are resubmitting my case for review because the reason my tuition fee loan was rejected was not written and they agree that I should be entitled to funding this year. Can I be advised on what my entitlements are and if I am correct that the CPR year is not included in the standard 4 year funding for my tuition fees?

Many thanks.

Hi there,

We're unable to access accounts on this platform. If you're able to contact us via the live chat in your account or on 0300 100 0607 we'll look into this and help you further. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending