The Student Room Group

How many years could i get funding for?

I started a 3 year degree at leicester and completed 1 year.
Then i transferred to study a 5 year Medicine course at another univerity. I completed 1 year but then had to repeat the first year due to poor health. Student finance accepted my compelling personal reasons and awarded me another years tuition fee.
I now want to change courses at the same university and switch to a 3 year course. How many years of tuition fee funding could i get for this course? Does that repeat year where i was given CPR count as a previous year of study?
Additionally, the new course is eligible for NHS learning support fund. To recieve the training grant you must be eligible for tuition fees and maintenance support from the Student Loans Company. If i don't qualify for a tuition loan from SFE for the first year, does this mean i can't receive the NHS grant?
Original post by RockaRosalie
Then i transferred to study a 5 year Medicine course at another univerity. I completed 1 year but then had to repeat the first year due to poor health. Student finance accepted my compelling personal reasons and awarded me another years tuition fee.
I now want to change courses at the same university and switch to a 3 year course. How many years of tuition fee funding could i get for this course? Does that repeat year where i was given CPR count as a previous year of study?
Additionally, the new course is eligible for NHS learning support fund. To recieve the training grant you must be eligible for tuition fees and maintenance support from the Student Loans Company. If i don't qualify for a tuition loan from SFE for the first year, does this mean i can't receive the NHS grant?

What is the name of the course you are applying for?
Reply 2
Podiatry or occupational therapy

Hi there, What is the new course you are looking to attend? Just to confirm minus the CPR year of funding you have 2 years of previous study? Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, What is the new course you are looking to attend? Just to confirm minus the CPR year of funding you have 2 years of previous study? Thanks, Angela

The course would be 3 years of podiatry or 3 years occupational therapy.
I have done 3 years of study including CPR funded year so not counting the CPR funded year it would be 2 years of previous study.
The course would be 3 years of podiatry or 3 years occupational therapy.
I have done 3 years of study including CPR funded year so not counting the CPR funded year it would be 2 years of previous study.

Hi there, those are exception courses. To make sure you get the funding you should make an application via your account: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there, those are exception courses. To make sure you get the funding you should make an application via your account: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Thanks, Jason

Hi, I wanted to double check, so because those are exception courses, even though I don’t have a degree and have previous years of study would I get funding for the 3 full years?
also, which courses are exception courses?
Hi, I wanted to double check, so because those are exception courses, even though I don’t have a degree and have previous years of study would I get funding for the 3 full years?
also, which courses are exception courses?

Hi there, Yes, that is correct full funding will be awarded. The exception courses are Podiatry or occupational therapy. Thanks, Angela
Reply 8
Hi there, Yes, that is correct full funding will be awarded. The exception courses are Podiatry or occupational therapy. Thanks, Angela

Thank you for confirming this. Do you have a list of
all the exception courses?
Thank you for confirming this. Do you have a list of
all the exception courses?

Hi there, Is this full or part time study? Thanks, Angela
Reply 10
Hi there, Is this full or part time study? Thanks, Angela

A list of the full-time exemption courses where previous study does not affect tuition fee funding please. Thank you.
A list of the full-time exemption courses where previous study does not affect tuition fee funding please. Thank you.

Hi there,
Below is a list of the Full-Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:

- Initial Teacher Training (to qualify you with QTS and 2 years or less in length)
- Chiropody
- Dental hygiene (Honour’s degree, diploma or foundation degree)
- Dental therapy (Honour’s degree, diploma or foundation degree)
- Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and nutrition
- Midwifery (Degree or diploma level)
- Nursing (Degree or diploma level)
- Nursing and social work (Dual honours)
- Occupational therapy
- Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and language therapy

Thanks, Angela
Reply 12
Hi there,
Below is a list of the Full-Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:

- Initial Teacher Training (to qualify you with QTS and 2 years or less in length)
- Chiropody
- Dental hygiene (Honour’s degree, diploma or foundation degree)
- Dental therapy (Honour’s degree, diploma or foundation degree)
- Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and nutrition
- Midwifery (Degree or diploma level)
- Nursing (Degree or diploma level)
- Nursing and social work (Dual honours)
- Occupational therapy
- Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and language therapy

Thanks, Angela

Hi Angela, do these exemptions only apply for postgraduate / second degrees? Or do they apply for undergraduate courses as well?
Hi Angela, do these exemptions only apply for postgraduate / second degrees? Or do they apply for undergraduate courses as well?

Hi there,

These only apply to undergraduate courses. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending