The Student Room Group

Choosing a degree

I am constantly thinking about which degree to choose. It's giving me a headache and making me feel down because I made some mistakes picking A level subjects.
Has anyone got any advice on choosing a degree or coping with conflicting arguments in their head?
What a levels are you currently taking and which do you enjoy the most? And have you thought about what career you want to have in the future?
well what do you think you wan to do some unis offer foundation degrees FDsc and you can usually take 3rd year as a top up to a full degree once you pass that (my mate did that). The first year year zero is foundation so if you took say Art,History and Classics but want to do say engineering you can take the FDsc and then top up
I'd say you need to find a compromise between an area you're interested in and an area with good job prospects or which provides good skills.

Original post by jonathanemptage
well what do you think you wan to do some unis offer foundation degrees FDsc and you can usually take 3rd year as a top up to a full degree once you pass that (my mate did that). The first year year zero is foundation so if you took say Art,History and Classics but want to do say engineering you can take the FDsc and then top up

It would be kind of pointless to do a foundation year then an FdSc, that would mean you've tried to get into a different field then after a year of preparing for that you still weren't confident enough to say you'll stick with this for 3/4 years instead of 2.
Original post by Helloworld_95
I'd say you need to find a compromise between an area you're interested in and an area with good job prospects or which provides good skills.

It would be kind of pointless to do a foundation year then an FdSc, that would mean you've tried to get into a different field then after a year of preparing for that you still weren't confident enough to say you'll stick with this for 3/4 years instead of 2.

the final 2 years are the same (exactly the same) as the first and second year of the degree so it's not pointless it's just a way to get the degree so long as you top up (most people do)it's designed for people who want to change fields from their a levels whats so wrong about that and the foundation year is part of the FdSc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jonathanemptage
the final 2 years are the same (exactly the same) as the first and second year of the degree so it's not pointless it's just a way to get the degree so long as you top up (most people do)it's designed for people who want to change fields from their a levels whats so wrong about that and the foundation year is part of the FdSc.

Nooo, a foundation year is not part of an FdSc, foundation years are separate. You may apply for an FdSc with foundation year but once you've done the foundation year it's pretty much forgotten about, won't even come up in your degree title in any paperwork.

Foundation years are designed for people who want to change fields, yes, FdScs are just short degrees. There's really not a reason to do one unless you're being sponsored by a company, if you can make it through 2 years you can make it through 3 which is going to be the preferable option seeing as universities which offer top ups are not exactly good quality and anywhere else is going to knock you back to second year.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Nooo, a foundation year is not part of an FdSc, foundation years are separate. You may apply for an FdSc with foundation year but once you've done the foundation year it's pretty much forgotten about, won't even come up in your degree title in any paperwork.

Foundation years are designed for people who want to change fields, yes, FdScs are just short degrees. There's really not a reason to do one unless you're being sponsored by a company, if you can make it through 2 years you can make it through 3 which is going to be the preferable option seeing as universities which offer top ups are not exactly good quality and anywhere else is going to knock you back to second year.

When I went to uni foundation degrees had really only just started and included a foundation year by default but yes i do believe it's changed now.
Reply 7
I still have conflicting arguments in my head after I applied for uni. Try keep your options open, a lot of graduate jobs are open to any degrees as long as you get a 2.1 from a decent uni. Also think about school leavers programmes etc
I had the same problem, I have taken three different degrees before I chose the right one.
I believe we always have to ask ouselves what we love doing. A lot of people consider the job market, their parents career, or anyother concept. I strongly think that we should always seek what we enjoy in life. And what I mean by that is to look for a job that would make you feel satisfied, because studying sometimes has nothing to do with the job you have to perform when you graduate.
So what I did was to talk to professionals, college professors and people in the area that would be honest to me about their daily routines.
The money you get or the status you will have in a certain job won't be the only thing that will matter, you have to dig into the job you will have to do everyday. If that fits into your personality, into your interests and abilitites. Sometimes we are really interested on something but we suck on doing that, so you really have to reflect on many aspects when choosing a career and then studying it.

Choosing a degree is not only choosing what you will study for a couple of years, it is choosing what you will do and how you will do it for the rest of your life. Taking time to make that decision is extremely important, some people rush on decision-making, I believe people should take as much time is needed to make the right call and be confident bout their own careers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending