The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James.Carnell
He's legit, 90% of the time he is right.

Ok I guess we'll see won't we? :h:
What team you guys thinking will starts vs Liverpool next week?

2-2 is my prediction - Liverpool always seem to struggle historically against you guys but with most of their squad available and looking sharp it's difficult to see you winning.
Holding-Chambers pairing gonna be entertaining for all the wrong reasons lol.
Sadio Mané bossed the Gunners almost every time in the past.
Matip unbeaten as a Schalke player against Arsenal.
I think I know where this is going :wink: only saving grace being Klopp's so-so record against Wenger
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8903
Smells like a thrashing in all honesty but I think with the midfield Arsenal have now they should be able to avoid that from happening.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Smells like a thrashing in all honesty but I think with the midfield Arsenal have now they should be able to avoid that from happening.

So perhaps only 3-0 instead of 6-0 yeah? :wink:

Nah in al seriousness, people are setting it up like its a guaranteed Liverpool victory. Arsenal are still at home and still have a lot of better players in their side.
Not to mention how Liverpool normally do better as underdogs; we seem to bottle it when we're expected to win.
Yeah Arsenal are bookies favourites for a reason, though 5/4 reflects their current position.
We have a lot of money. We are one of the richest clubs in the world...
Simple fact of the matter is that we don't spend.

We want a player that will win us the title, Lacazette is unconvincing for the type of money talked about. For around that level of player, why don't we just go for a cheap option like Ighalo or Musa when he was available?

Also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunners/comments/4wdnlv/warning_dean_********_warning/d66h5tj

Imo Wenger is waiting for an opening for a striker to become available that is better than Lacazette. Lacazette is the insurance option. It's a gamble, it is poker, but it is the best chance we will have of signing a genuinely world class striker/forward player. He is not afraid to spend the money, it's more about a question of quality.

He waited for a long time to get a player like Xhaka for example, I believe that Xhaka is a rare talent with his ball distribution skills, not all round but maybe Wenger is looking for specific skillsets. We talked a long time about CM, now that area looks stacked. He will get a striker, but I think we have worked out now that he waits for the player he really wants.

Waits for what exactly?? We've needed a striker since RVP left and have none. He missed on Suarez, Benzema and more. So this waiting for a quality player doesn't wash anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Gabriel looks really off the pace in terms of fitness atm, Holding / Chambers probably. That being said Bielik /Holding has been have had the most minutes this pre season I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought Bielik was a DM?
Bielik being converted into "emergency" CB during pre-season, with three potential DMs in the squad
Original post by sr90
I thought Bielik was a DM?

We've been training him as a CB for about a year now, give or take. Where he has played most of his football for the U21 side

Posted from TSR Mobile
Afcamden used to be reliable but his credibility took a sharp decline after we didn't go big when we beat Besiktas.

Holding-Chambers CB combination vs Liverpool please. Fancy Holding to score the winner off a corner. 1-0 to the Arsenal.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Yeah, Giroud was top scorer in Ligue 1 with Montpellier and won the league...

Yes that terrible player Giroud who scored 27 goals for Arsenal last year. The guy who was the focal point of Arsenal's best season results wise in years (13/14) and played every game in their best season position wise (15/16).
Reply 8912
Original post by Diego Costa
Yes that terrible player Giroud who scored 27 goals for Arsenal last year. The guy who was the focal point of Arsenal's best season results wise in years (13/14) and played every game in their best season position wise (15/16).

Not like Ramsey had anything to do with 13/14. That season was the one where all the pitchforks came out for Giroud.
Original post by AR_95
Not like Ramsey had anything to do with 13/14. That season was the one where all the pitchforks came out for Giroud.

Lol, there's missing the point and there's this.

When did I give all the credit to Giroud? The point was clearly to counter the other guy suggest he was sh*te.

On to your comment: Ramsey wasn't the focal point of that season. Arsenal play(ed) a narrow formation so they needed Giroud to hold the ball up and act as an aerial outlet to create space for the midfielders (INCLUDING RAMSEY). Remember you didn't have Sanchez or a firing Ozil and played a far more possession oriented and less incisive system with Arteta dictating play.

I don't care if some naïve Arsenal fans had pitchforks for Giroud. The fact is unless they changed their system - one which led to their best season in years and relied on Giroud and replaced several players with many before Giroud they wouldn't have won the title.

It also sums up the lack of intelligence of some of the Arsenal fans if they had pitchforks for Giroud. Wouldn't Wenger be at fault for relying on him despite his limitations and not purchasing another striker?
(edited 7 years ago)
I would say I rate Lacazette. I think he's a much more accomplished player than he was when you were looking at buying him last season, much more an option now. I think if your midfield could support it playing him as a wide forward or support striker off Giroud would potentially be a fruitful option.
This is the thing about Giroud. He only scores because he gets consistent world class service. While being a consistent 20+ goal a season a striker is no easy job, with the service he gets, he should be netting more. Put him in a Bournemouth team, and he's a 10 goal a season striker, easy.
Should be 3-0 up. Hope we remember how to score before next Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Our finishing is aids.
Reply 8918
Arsenal: 3 good chances, no goals
Aguero: 1 chance 1 goal
Pep teaching Wenger a lesson in football

Latest