The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Holding-Chambers against Liverpool it is. Gab being injured is a blessing, he should stay on the bench after he comes back. Liability he is now.
Holding-Chambers would have been my first choice anyway. Don't rate Gabriel at all. Feel sorry for him though, looks like a bad injury. Leaves us really short.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Original post by swirly
This is by far the worst team he''s ever come to. From a grass roots level, there's just no desire. Who were the last City academy products to achieve anything? Shaun Wright Phillips is the closest :rofl:

Completely agree! Ever since the big takeover in 08 they just try to buy their way to success.

Pep will struggle at first but with all the young prospects he's just signed City could potentially become very dangerous once they are up and running.
With Gabriel he has never really been convincing for us in his short time here, didn't inspire much confidence but was a good rotation option against minor teams in the league. I think given the fact that we have so many games coming up, he will be a big miss.
Original post by swirly
This is by far the worst team he''s ever come to. From a grass roots level, there's just no desire. Who were the last City academy products to achieve anything? Shaun Wright Phillips is the closest :rofl:

Daniel Sturridge and Kasper Schmeichel haven't done too badly...
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
Holding-Chambers would have been my first choice anyway. Don't rate Gabriel at all. Feel sorry for him though, looks like a bad injury. Leaves us really short.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Having no senior CB's available for your first game is the most Arsenal thing ever.

Surely you'll sign a defender now. Surely?
Original post by sr90

That's the thing - after a club is taken over by "oil money" it becomes really difficult for anyone to break through to the first team from the academy, and the prospects have to find success elsewhere.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Having no senior CB's available for your first game is the most Arsenal thing ever.

Surely you'll sign a defender now. Surely?

We were in talks with Valencia over Mustafi so we were trying to sign one anyway. I think this injury just means Wenger will try hurry it up and get in done before Sunday.
Original post by shawn_o1
That's the thing - after a club is taken over by "oil money" it becomes really difficult for anyone to break through to the first team from the academy, and the prospects have to find success elsewhere.

He's quite unlucky because he only broke through the year they got taken over. Ched Evans left for the same reason.

Obviously Evans hasn't had the career Sturridge has, but i'm convinced that he would now be on the level of Ings/Vardy/Austin if it wasn't for the rape conviction. If he hadn't of got involved in all that a Premier League side would definitely have picked him up after the end of the 11/12 season and who knows where he'd be now.
Original post by sr90

Hardly set the world alight though have they.

Compare that to the Bayern and Barca's academy youth products in Xavi, Puyol, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Lahm.

On paper, City looks like a super club, just as good as Bayern, but it's not. It doesn't have the tradition. It's why players like Lingard are so important, they breathe the club, they don't just want the money, they want to achieve something for the club that nurtured them. Only thing my man do is tap those numbers and shhhhh.
We were in talks with Valencia over Mustafi so we were trying to sign one anyway. I think this injury just means Wenger will try hurry it up and get in done before Sunday.

Even if the deal goes through before Sunday, no chance he plays against Liverpool, with less than a weeks training with the first team. This isn't FIFA where you sign someone and play them the next day.
Original post by swirly
Even if the deal goes through before Sunday, no chance he plays against Liverpool, with less than a weeks training with the first team. This isn't FIFA where you sign someone and play them the next day.

We may have no choice. Scott Sinclair both signed and scored today for Celtic.
i think with Scott Sinclair it's different, he was training with Villa then Celtic came calling so he would have been pretty much ready once he signed. With the major European leagues starting one week after the Premier League, anyone signed from a French/German/Spanish/Italian club at this stage will be behind in fitness.
We may have no choice. Scott Sinclair both signed and scored today for Celtic.

That completely ignores the fact that communication and chemistry is far more important in defense than attack. Also Sinclair already knows the language, a player like Mustafi, I would assume, has no English skills, rendering it nearly impossible for him to communicate with his cb partner.

It would be incredibly risky to sign a CB from a foreign country with no experience of the language, and then play him 5 days later.
Also, I know it was only a friendly, but could we at least show some respect for Wengs record vs Guardiola? Managed to beat the greatest football team ever, an incredibly strong Bayern team and now City with a back line of Gabriel Holding.

Based on that friendly I worry for city. So many times they were caught with 7 players up the pitch exposing them to numerous counters. They haven't got the balance right at all.
Original post by leinad2012
That completely ignores the fact that communication and chemistry is far more important in defense than attack. Also Sinclair already knows the language, a player like Mustafi, I would assume, has no English skills, rendering it nearly impossible for him to communicate with his cb partner.

It would be incredibly risky to sign a CB from a foreign country with no experience of the language, and then play him 5 days later.

Like I said it's hardly ideal but we may not have a choice. As it stands we have 2 fit CB's and a youth player who can play CB even though he was signed as CDM.
Also, I know it was only a friendly, but could we at least show some respect for Wengs record vs Guardiola? Managed to beat the greatest football team ever, an incredibly strong Bayern team and now City with a back line of Gabriel Holding.

Based on that friendly I worry for city. So many times they were caught with 7 players up the pitch exposing them to numerous counters. They haven't got the balance right at all.

Both the Bayern and Barca team knocked us out of Europe or destroyed us soon after, so not the biggest point of pride tbh. And this was a friendly so the result is pretty meaningless tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mustafi is fluent in English.

He spent 3/4 years at Everton

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thoughts on Chelsea also wanting Mustafi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest