The Student Room Group

A Level Maths Exam Technique

Scroll to see replies

Original post by r.cornish
Ok thanks. I will have to spend time revising for other subjects that I take as well which is a pain because all I care about is maths.

in that case, if i were you, i'd only take 3 subjects and spend all my extra time with STEP questions and other fun stuff. actually my obsession is to prove every formulae in physics using maths :biggrin: and well, i like proving things even in maths. (although A level syllabuses hardly have any proper proofs..... )
try to learn to prove that pi is irrational :biggrin:
to prove that e is irrational is easier so start with that one
if you haven't done any proofs prove first that root 2 is irrational, that's like the kindergarten of proofs
papers from 2002/3-2006 are far too easy, I didn't bother at all.

It is not necessary to do the exam papers more than once. A good 6-8 past papers should suffice enough for 100 UMS standard.

I do not recommend solomon/delphis papers. I just find them inaccurate and they didn't really do anything to help me.

Exam papers are good but you just need to understand why what you're doing is the correct and most EFFICIENT method and why it works in that context (to a certain extent). Questions are always meant to be solvable, however learning how to do it properly rather than just being lucky because you've seen it before is a much more efficient way of sitting exams.

A level maths is basically just proficiency, if you can consistently score 75/75 on a module, leave it for a while (no more than a month) and go onto a different one. I sat C1 C2 FP1 S1 M1 M2 and I can say that once you get onto applied modules, more so mechanics, exam learning is a bad way to tackle an exam. 2016 M2 was a tough paper and would have caught many people out that didn't understand what they were doing.

It all depends on your ability and how fast you pick up the content.
Original post by lawlieto
in that case, if i were you, i'd only take 3 subjects and spend all my extra time with STEP questions and other fun stuff. actually my obsession is to prove every formulae in physics using maths :biggrin: and well, i like proving things even in maths. (although A level syllabuses hardly have any proper proofs..... )
if you haven't done any proofs prove first that root 2 is irrational, that's like the kindergarten of proofs

What method of proof do you use for e? Contradiction?
Reply 23
Oh my gosh such a long reply. I love your passion for maths: I can really tell! Funny enough, I have taught myself this summer holiday the whole of AS Maths, not Further maths though. I haven't found it too challenging yet, but I know that Further Maths will be more of a challenge.

Thanks for the advice, hope you get good results!

Thank's a lot man, and good look with yours too!

Also, if you've already taught yourself AS Maths already then bro, you are without a doubt sorted. The only worry you'll have is not making silly mistakes in the exam!

And although it really does depend on the units you decide to do, AS Further Maths should be a walk in the park for you. I didn't really think that the AS Further Maths units my school did (FP1, S2, D1) were very much more difficult than normal AS Maths,(if at all) personally.
FP2 and FP3 for Edexcel are really nice though.

Wish you all the best:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Your maths life sounds amazing. I am sooooo jealous haha. Not sure how many people feel the same as me lol. Maths is one amazinnngg subject.
Original post by lawlieto
Reply 25
Awh thanks. There is one topic I need explaining in Stats 1, however. And what units do you recommend in FM.
Original post by MrPooey
Thank's a lot man, and good look with yours too!

Also, if you've already taught yourself AS Maths already then bro, you are without a doubt sorted. And although it really does depend on the units you decide to do, AS Further Maths should be a walk in the park for you.

Wish you all the best:biggrin:
Reply 26
Awh thanks. There is one topic I need explaining in Stats 1, however. And what units do you recommend in FM.

I believe it would be best to follow what your school teaches if anything, Might make things a little less complicated.

As far as I'm aware, for Edexcel, FP1 is the only compulsory unit. D1 was the most boring for me, though if you're into computer science then you should like it.

If you want to do engineering, then vying to do the extra Mechanics units would be more useful than doing the Statistics. and then, (although I'm not too sure because I haven't studied them), for M3 and M4 and M5 edexcel, the content learned in FP3 and FP2, especially differential equations and vectors, are needed.
Original post by xyz9856
What method of proof do you use for e? Contradiction?

yes, contradiction, but there is "a number" you have to remember, and this proof is more advanced than the root 2 one.
Your maths life sounds amazing. I am sooooo jealous haha. Not sure how many people feel the same as me lol. Maths is one amazinnngg subject.

you can also take additional further maths
Reply 29
I want to become a GCSE Maths Teacher one day, so I suppose it doesn't make a difference to which module to take for my career. .
Original post by MrPooey
I believe it would be best to follow what your school teaches if anything, Might make things a little less complicated.

As far as I'm aware, for Edexcel, FP1 is the only compulsory unit. D1 was the most boring for me, though if you're into computer science then you should like it.

If you want to do engineering, then vying to do the extra Mechanics units would be more useful than doing the Statistics. and then, (although I'm not too sure because I haven't studied them), for M3 and M4 and M5 edexcel, the content learned in FP3 and FP2, especially differential equations and vectors, are needed.

Quick Reply

Latest