The Student Room Group

Queen's Belfast or Loughborough University for chemical engineering

Hi

I currently hold an offer to study chem eng at Queens however I do not know whether to apply for chem eng with management through adjustment at loughborough I hadn't seen the course when I applied and i think it would interest me more. However I am really struggling deciding what uni to go to

Belfast :
Pros
get a scholarship with up to 1.5k off uni fees and money towards flights home etc
good nightlife
great city uni

cons:

have to get plane
worried about fitting in etc

loughborough:
pros
one of top overall uk uni
above queens in leave tables for chem eng
offers chemical engineering and management which would interest me more
looks like there is more of a university spirit etc everyone says its like no other

cons
no scholarship
practically a small town= nightlife not as good however close to Nottingham
I do not play sport and the uni is very sports based
could it be boring?

would really appreciate some help making my decision if anyone has any extra points thanks!!
Original post by rachanne
Hi

I currently hold an offer to study chem eng at Queens however I do not know whether to apply for chem eng with management through adjustment at loughborough I hadn't seen the course when I applied and i think it would interest me more. However I am really struggling deciding what uni to go to

Belfast :
Pros
get a scholarship with up to 1.5k off uni fees and money towards flights home etc
good nightlife
great city uni

cons:

have to get plane

loughborough:
pros
looks like there is more of a university spirit etc everyone says its like no other

cons
no scholarship
could it be boring?

would really appreciate some help making my decision if anyone has any extra points thanks!!

While I cannot offer any insight into either of those unis or courses, some questions to ask yourself:

how valuable actually are the scholarships? Is it the case that your parents won't lend you much money and it's largely down to student finance for your funds?

Are there any sports you're interested in, particularly at Loughborough? Even if you do not play one now you might get to start a new one. Eg archery, ultimate frisbee?

You say ChemEng with Management would be more interesting, but are you sure you know what kind of management stuff you'll be studying and what skills they require?

Do either offer a placement option?
Original post by rachanne
Hi

Belfast :
Pros
good nightlife
great city uni

cons:

have to get plane

loughborough:
pros

cons
no scholarship
could it be boring?

Hey rachanne

Great to hear that you're considering Loughborough :biggrin:

If you can, you may want to come along to our Open House event tomorrow. Students holding Clearing offers from us can visit between 10-2 to have a look round the departments, chat to staff and generally get a feel for the campus. You just need to book a place using our online form.

As a general point, I've been a student here as both an undergrad and postgrad and can vouch for the fact that there is absolutely no shortage of things to get involved in here. Yes, we're a smaller town but this gives Loughborough a real student vibe. The Students' Union is great for a night out with three nights a week and there are also plenty of student nights on in town throughout the week. In terms of our reputation as a predominantly sports university, I'm by no means an elite athlete and have not found that to be a problem whatsoever there's plenty of other stuff to try out. And, as you say, there are several big cities close by and our location and mainline station means that you're within striking distance of pretty much anywhere in the country.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions that'd help with your decision, just shout.

Good luck with making your choice :smile:

Teresa
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest