The Student Room Group

Have my results been graded incorrectly? (AS)

Hi all, I'm just double checking with the forum here that according to the official grade boundaries seen here http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2016.PDF my paper was graded incorrectly and that I'm not seeing things or misinterpreting something

Out of the 4 subjects I took I have the equivalent marks for two, namely Media Studies and Information + Communication Technology (ICT)

According to my results sheet these are my marks:

Media Studies Unit 1 = 55/80
Media Studies Unit 2 = 59/80

Info and Comm Tech Unit 1 = 60/80
Info and Comm Tech Unit 2 = 64/80

Now according to what I linked above, that should mean I get an A + B in Media and two A's in ICT. But according to my results sheet I got two C's in ICT and two D's in Media Studies

Just wanted to make sure I'm not seeing things, any help is appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Those marks are UMS marks. Raw marks are converted into a scaled system in order to make each module have equal weighting while they change the boundaries.

You can use the tool at http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter to see what score you got in the exam by looking up the UMS score. Alternatively you can search up the UMS grade boundaries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Doven
Hi all, I'm just double checking with the forum here that according to the official grade boundaries seen here http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2016.PDF my paper was graded incorrectly and that I'm not seeing things or misinterpreting something

Out of the 4 subjects I took I have the equivalent marks for two, namely Media Studies and Information + Communication Technology (ICT)

According to my results sheet these are my marks:

Media Studies Unit 1 = 55/80
Media Studies Unit 2 = 59/80

Info and Comm Tech Unit 1 = 60/80
Info and Comm Tech Unit 2 = 64/80

Now according to what I linked above, that should mean I get an A + B in Media and two A's in ICT. But according to my results sheet I got two C's in ICT and two D's in Media Studies

Just wanted to make sure I'm not seeing things, any help is appreciated :smile:

Are you mixing up UMS marks for raw marks?
Reply 3
Original post by Slowbro93
Are you mixing up UMS marks for raw marks?

I have no idea, my results sheet just says "Mark Equivalent" with the mentioned marks underneath and I was comparing it to the grade boundaries I linked. How can I tell the difference?
Reply 4
Original post by Doven
I have no idea, my results sheet just says "Mark Equivalent" with the mentioned marks underneath and I was comparing it to the grade boundaries I linked. How can I tell the difference?

They're UMS marks for sure. Centres do not get given exact raw marks without requesting them.
Original post by Doven

In that case it's UMS marks that you have as opposed to raw marks, so that's why you have the marks you have.
Reply 6
Original post by -jordan-
They're UMS marks for sure. Centres do not get given exact raw marks without requesting them.

I guess I was mistaken then, was just a bit shook by the results because in my mocks that have been marked I was getting much higher grades with the same marks
Reply 7
In that case it's UMS marks that you have as opposed to raw marks, so that's why you have the marks you have.

Thanks for the help, just thought I would have done better from my mock results but I guess I can't change it now :/
Original post by Doven
Thanks for the help, just thought I would have done better from my mock results but I guess I can't change it now :/

Will you consider doing any retakes? :smile:
Reply 9
Will you consider doing any retakes? :smile:

I think I'll leave it, my college only asks for D's to continue into the next year so I'm in no danger of having nowhere to go :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest