The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

How is computer science at King's college?

I have heard controversial opinions about King's college.
Considering that my plan is getting a master in America to get a job there, is 90.000£ (for 3 years in London) a good investment in your opinion? Is it worth it? Another option would be studying computer science in my country (Italy), which is cheaper, but London is much more appealing.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Even I am an international student and would like to know the prospects of the Computer Science undergrad course at King's College.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by randomwinterman
Considering that my plan is getting a master in America to get a job there, is 90.000£ (for 3 years in London) a good investment in your opinion? Is it worth it? Another option would be studying computer science in my country (Italy), which is cheaper, but London is much more appealing.

I have a friend who resigned after a year of doing CS at KCL. He said it was way too easy. He had some prior experience in programming, but wasn't a genius. In his opinion even maths was done on a very basic level. Considering that KCL is not renowned internationally for CS I would not call it "money well spent". You can have fun everywhere and London's prices will seriously impair your ability to party or enjoy most of its attractions (I live there atm, trust me).

PS My friend and I are both international students, ex-classmates. He returned home (Poland, Warsaw) to pursue a similar diploma there.

Kings College is reputed outside UK and also in London. London universities are great because there are so many companies based in London and it can be really helpful. Universities can show you a path but its upto you if you want to follow it or not. The course is mostly indepedent. You do your studies by yourself. You have lectures, lab work and tutorials, however, rest assured you are expected to do things by yourself. If you choose the course (with a year in industry) you get to work in your 3rd year and earn money. Often the place you work in gives you a job. If not, it can be a great addition to your CV.
Reply 4

I can tell you what I think of the course when I start in September if you want? :h:
Reply 5
Original post by GUMI
I can tell you what I think of the course when I start in September if you want? :h:

Congrats for getting through!

It would be great to get real inputs after you join. But any sharing, at this stage, of the criteria that went into your decision, would also help..since you selected this over other choices

Thanks in advance
Reply 6
Original post by ADSI
Congrats for getting through!

It would be great to get real inputs after you join. But any sharing, at this stage, of the criteria that went into your decision, would also help..since you selected this over other choices

Thanks in advance

Thanks.
Not much I can think of, it was between this and Surrey but there were a lot of reasons I chose Kcl over Surrey haha
Anything in particular you were thinking of? xD
Reply 7
Original post by GUMI
Thanks.
Not much I can think of, it was between this and Surrey but there were a lot of reasons I chose Kcl over Surrey haha

Thanks, was wanting to know about the job prospects, placements etc post-completion. Also, if there are internship opportunities woven during the programme. How is the perception of KCL amongst the prospective employers? Basically, does the course orient one to practical application during and after, or one has to go on to do Masters? At this stage, I am not looking at research or other higher studies aspect.
Reply 8
Hi. May ask if King's do interviews or do they just look at your personal statement and predicted grades and give you an offer?
Original post by Kym_Vee
Hi. May ask if King's do interviews or do they just look at your personal statement and predicted grades and give you an offer?

I didn't have an interview and received an offer
If you wanna do computer science in London, apply to Imperial
I'm also starting in September, would be interested to hear more from anyone who is on the course already
Original post by Pinkberry_y
If you wanna do computer science in London, apply to Imperial

Original post by Pinkberry_y
image.jpeg

lol
Original post by Blank_Planet
I have a friend who resigned after a year of doing CS at KCL. He said it was way too easy. He had some prior experience in programming, but wasn't a genius. In his opinion even maths was done on a very basic level. Considering that KCL is not renowned internationally for CS I would not call it "money well spent". You can have fun everywhere and London's prices will seriously impair your ability to party or enjoy most of its attractions (I live there atm, trust me).

PS My friend and I are both international students, ex-classmates. He returned home (Poland, Warsaw) to pursue a similar diploma there.

I am at Kings studying CS with a year in industry. Wow - you and another person have said that CS isn't reputable to do at Kings - when I always thought it was. I went to QM but I didn't much like the atmosphere on the open day so I put that as my insurance choice but when Kings accepted me on results day, I was like 'Yep, I'm going.'

I think the Math bit is hard - maybe that's cuz I am not passionate about it and I don't like using logic that much. I am more of a deep thinker and like to make a mess when coming up with solutions e.g. for essays more like but when it comes to Math, the solution has to be really simple and I just over-complicate it. It's my 3rd day tomorrow - let's what happens next.
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
I am at Kings studying CS with a year in industry. Wow - you and another person have said that CS isn't reputable to do at Kings - when I always thought it was. I went to QM but I didn't much like the atmosphere on the open day so I put that as my insurance choice but when Kings accepted me on results day, I was like 'Yep, I'm going.'

I think the Math bit is hard - maybe that's cuz I am not passionate about it and I don't like using logic that much. I am more of a deep thinker and like to make a mess when coming up with solutions e.g. for essays more like but when it comes to Math, the solution has to be really simple and I just over-complicate it. It's my 3rd day tomorrow - let's what happens next.

Did they remove computer science with a year in industry for 2017 entry?
Reply 16
I called them about that... You can change to that course once you have been accepted so you'd have to apply for the normal Computer Science course for now...
Original post by GUMI
Thanks.

I also got an offer from Surrey and Kcl. What were ur target grades and can you tell us how its going to far?
Reply 18
Original post by KnightCode
I also got an offer from Surrey and Kcl. What were ur target grades and can you tell us how its going to far?

I came from an american background so idk if you're familiar with APs at all. My offer was 554, which translates to aab. I got 5544 (I took 4 APs).
Course is pretty chill, honestly there's not too much coursework, the end of semester exams weigh significantly more than the other stuff so all your efforts will be focused on that. Hence there's a lot of free time, so make of that what you will.
Reply 19
Original post by GUMI
I came from an american background so idk if you're familiar with APs at all. My offer was 554, which translates to aab. I got 5544 (I took 4 APs).
Course is pretty chill, honestly there's not too much coursework, the end of semester exams weigh significantly more than the other stuff so all your efforts will be focused on that. Hence there's a lot of free time, so make of that what you will.

How are the teachers/lecturers? also how is the social side of being at KCL. Unistats says that only 63% of people are satisfied with their student union at KCL. Are clubs and societies unorganised/unpopular?

sorry about all the questions

Quick Reply

Latest