The Student Room Group

Anyone get bad results at AS but mint results at A2??

Scroll to see replies

i got a D in maths at AS and got that up to a B at A2, which meant i got into my first choice uni

AS can be a real shock after GCSE (i got an A* in GCSE maths) and sometimes having the full two years of knowledge makes the AS stuff much easier to understand. so don't worry, loads of people do worse than they'd like at AS and still go on to achieve what they wanted :smile:
Original post by CaitlinN15
Yeah I got DEUU at AS and got AA in my A2's and a B in my AS I picked up this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's brilliant. Do you have any tips or advice to get better grades at A2 than AS?:smile:
At AS I got BBCC in biology, chemistry, maths and physics repectively. I got biology remarked to an A, just barely, so ABCC. I dropped physics as it was my worst subject.

At A2 I got AAA, chemistry was 1 UMS off an A* and biology was 3 UMS off an A*. I thought I worked hard at AS but this year I worked so much harder and it paid off :h:
maths chem french physics respectively BBCC , felt like utter sh*t, was so depressed, thought i'd have to go to a sh*t uni >>>fast forward>>>>>> dropped physics >>>> ABB predictions so I had to firm a uni i didn't like >>>> just got AAA and a place at UCL
Original post by Callum323
At AS I got BBCC in biology, chemistry, maths and physics repectively. I got biology remarked to an A, just barely, so ABCC. I dropped physics as it was my worst subject.

At A2 I got AAA, chemistry was 1 UMS off an A* and biology was 3 UMS off an A*. I thought I worked hard at AS but this year I worked so much harder and it paid off :h:

omg i just looked at yours, it sounds like the same experience except bio instead of french! well done! i feel exactly the same, i busted my a** this year and it DOES PAY OFF GUYS
Original post by minjinoor
omg i just looked at yours, it sounds like the same experience except bio instead of french! well done! i feel exactly the same, i busted my a** this year and it DOES PAY OFF GUYS

I noticed they were very similar and thank you! Well done to you too :h:
Reply 26
It's not bad results but I got ABB with Geography, chemistry and maths at AS then at A2 things flipped over so I got BAA*

I am so happy for you. I just got BBCC for my AS my math is just 2 UMS away from an A. Anyway did u resit your AS? I am so disspointed in myself.
I did the same subjects as you did too.
Any tips on how you revised for A2?
Got BCCD at AS after thinking I could just read the textbook the night before. Worked my hypothetical ass off and got A*AA at A2, trying for medicine this year :smile:
My subjects were Biology, Chemistry and Maths (dropped physics).
Original post by Glutenfree
Plz... I need some success stories to make me feel better

:burnout:

I feel ya just got pretty crappy AS grades of ABCD but I'm going to try turn it into AAB
I got BDDE for AS and yesterday I got A*AAA in F.Maths, Maths, Physics, English Lang/Lit :smile:

I still can't believe I went from an E in further maths to an A*.... Hard work and effort really does pay off.
Original post by Ninjakam119
Got BCCD at AS after thinking I could just read the textbook the night before. Worked my hypothetical ass off and got A*AA at A2, trying for medicine this year :smile:

Congrats mate. Did u resit ur AS?
I have similar results as yours. I have a grade D :frown:
Did your grade went from D to A?
because AS i got grade D and i hope to work harder to get A for A2. Do you think it is possible?
thank you so much :')

Original post by Ninjakam119
Rather than looking to see if other people have the success stories, YOU be the success story and set an example to others
Original post by Sunethra
I am so happy for you. I just got BBCC for my AS my math is just 2 UMS away from an A. Anyway did u resit your AS? I am so disspointed in myself.
I did the same subjects as you did too.
Any tips on how you revised for A2?

For chemistry I resat unit 1 and 2, for maths I resat core 1 and 2.

For revision I went through every textbook front to back, missing no information and doing almost every question for every section. When I was confident in a certain unit, I'd start doing past papers, marking my answers getting better at the kind of questions they ask in exams. Before the real exams I spend a month doing nothing but revision every day using a revision timetable scheduled around my exam timetable.
Congrats mate. Did u resit ur AS?

Thanks! I resat 4 AS modules at the same time as doing my A2.
For chemistry I resat unit 1 and 2, for maths I resat core 1 and 2.

For revision I went through every textbook front to back, missing no information and doing almost every question for every section. When I was confident in a certain unit, I'd start doing past papers, marking my answers getting better at the kind of questions they ask in exams. Before the real exams I spend a month doing nothing but revision every day using a revision timetable scheduled around my exam timetable.

What did u get after you resat?
I got BDDE for AS and yesterday I got A*AAA in F.Maths, Maths, Physics, English Lang/Lit :smile:

I still can't believe I went from an E in further maths to an A*.... Hard work and effort really does pay off.
Original post by trevorwaris
I have similar results as yours. I have a grade D :frown:
Did your grade went from D to A?
because AS i got grade D and i hope to work harder to get A for A2. Do you think it is possible?
thank you so much :':wink:

What did you get the D in? I dropped physics which was at a D, but my maths AS was borderline C/D (if I dropped 1 more ums it would have been a D rather than a C) So it's certainly possible. You've got to use this as a lesson and learn from your mistakes, otherwise you'll end up with similar grades. Whenever you feel like your slacking, remember you don't want to be in the position you are in now again. I even went so far to make a picture of my AS grades as my phone's background so whenever I looked at it, I knew I couldn't let that happen again. When you see your other friends not working hard early on, or tell you that you're working hard, remember if you really want those top grades you're going to have to work harder than them to get them, but It'll be worth it. Feel free to message me if you want any specific subject advice.
What did u get after you resat?

Original marks (UMS):
Chem unit 1 - 63 c
Chem unit 2 - 109 b
Core 1 - 60 c
Core 2 - 69 c

Resit marks (UMS):
Chem unit 1 - 89 a
Chem unit 2 - 126 a
Core 1 - 90 a
Core 2 - 94 a