The Student Room Group

(Answer ASAP) Achieved UCAS points needed but didn't get accepted?

Hello! I'm posting this discussion to help a close friend of mine. My friend had been offered a place at university of Hertfordshire to study radiotherapy and oncology and they asked for 300 UCAS points. My friend's results came and the grades totalled 310 UCAS points, however the university has rejected his place despite the fact he's achieved the conditions they asked for? Can someone tell me why this may be?
(I also want to add that my friend can't be entered into clearing because they didn't choose 5 university options)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shaira213
Hello! I'm posting this discussion to help a close friend of mine. My friend had been offered a place at university of Hertfordshire to study radiotherapy and oncology and they asked for 300 UCAS points. My friend's results came and the grades totalled 310 UCAS points, however the university has rejected his place despite the fact he's achieved the conditions they asked for? Can someone tell me why this may be?
(I also want to add that my friend can't be entered into clearing because they didn't choose 5 university options)

Were there any other conditions attached to the offer? Maybe 300 UCAS points, but 120 of those need to be from one A-level?
Reply 2
They can certainly go into Clearing, and if they've been rejected by their only choice there should be a Clearing number on his Track.

It sounds to me like there may have been a condition in the points offer that meant that some of your friend's points could not be included. Perhaps he has double-counted an AS and a full A level in the same subject? Or perhaps he had to get a specific number of points for one of his subjects, and didn't, even though he got the required number of points overall?
Reply 3
Original post by Nirgilis
Were there any other conditions attached to the offer? Maybe 300 UCAS points, but 120 of those need to be from one A-level?

I asked them the same question and they showed me the conditions and it clearly just stated that they needed 300 UCAS points
Reply 4
Original post by Minerva
They can certainly go into Clearing, and if they've been rejected by their only choice there should be a Clearing number on his Track.

It sounds to me like there may have been a condition in the points offer that meant that some of your friend's points could not be included. Perhaps he has double-counted an AS and a full A level in the same subject? Or perhaps he had to get a specific number of points for one of his subjects, and didn't, even though he got the required number of points overall?

I persuaded him to call UCAS and ask them to calculate his points for him to double-check and they confirmed that it did total 310 points. He also called the university to ask if there had been a mistake but they are saying that they cannot give any information as to why he didn't get accepted, despite it being his own application. So he doesn't know what went wrong.
Reply 5
I persuaded him to call UCAS and ask them to calculate his points for him to double-check and they confirmed that it did total 310 points. He also called the university to ask if there had been a mistake but they are saying that they cannot give any information as to why he didn't get accepted, despite it being his own application. So he doesn't know what went wrong.
What did his offer actually say? He should still have a letter attached to his Track confirming the specific requirements.

PQ
Any thoughts?
It could be 300 in his top 3 A levels, cause you can't get 310 UCAS points with 3 A2s
Reply 7
Original post by Minerva
What did his offer actually say? He should still have a letter attached to his Track confirming the specific requirements.

Any thoughts?

It clearly just states that he needed 300 UCAS points. There was nothing else beside it like 'at least 120 from two A-levels' or anything like that
Reply 8
Original post by Dinasaurus
It could be 300 in his top 3 A levels, cause you can't get 310 UCAS points with 3 A2s

He only took an AS level and two BTECs
Reply 9
It clearly just states that he needed 300 UCAS points. There was nothing else beside it like 'at least 120 from two A-levels' or anything like that

He only took an AS level and two BTECs
Well, that does seem odd. I think he should ask UCAS to talk to the uni about it, as on the face of it he should have his place if there were no specifics in the offer to exclude any of his qualifications from his points count.

Quick Reply

Latest