The Student Room Group

What is an foundation, post and undergraduate mean?

Hey guys, I'm confused what a foundation course is. Also, it's the same situation for undergraduate and postgraduate.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks
Original post by adam_4531
Hey guys, I'm confused what a foundation course is. Also, it's the same situation for undergraduate and postgraduate.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

Foundation course is one where you did not meet the entry requirements for the normal first year entry course, so you do an extra year getting you up to the correct standard before entering the normal course.

Undegraduate is for people who havent done a degree before.
postgraduate is for people who have done a degree before.

Is this related to medicine?
Reply 2
Foundation courses are for people who didn't take the right A levels for medicine, and need to do some basic science before starting on the main medical degree. They are for people who only realised they wanted to do after making their a level choices, and are only offered at some universities

An undergraduate degree is any degree you don't need a previous degree to do. They are the type of degree you do straight from a level, and will generally be a bachelors. The A100 MBBS/MBChB standard medical course is an undergraduate degree

A postgraduate degree is any degree that you need a previous degree to get on to. For most subjects, these would be masters or PhDs. For medicine, you can study as a postgrad on a graduate entry programme. This is where you first complete one degree and then do a shortened 4 year medical course. These are only offered at certain universities and are very competitive
Original post by Natalierm2707
Foundation course is one where you did not meet the entry requirements for the normal first year entry course, so you do an extra year getting you up to the correct standard before entering the normal course.

Undegraduate is for people who havent done a degree before.
postgraduate is for people who have done a degree before.

Is this related to medicine?

Thanks Natalierm!

And yes, this is related to Medicine.
Original post by Ghotay
Foundation courses are for people who didn't take the right A levels for medicine, and need to do some basic science before starting on the main medical degree. They are for people who only realised they wanted to do after making their a level choices, and are only offered at some universities

An undergraduate degree is any degree you don't need a previous degree to do. They are the type of degree you do straight from a level, and will generally be a bachelors. The A100 MBBS/MBChB standard medical course is an undergraduate degree

A postgraduate degree is any degree that you need a previous degree to get on to. For most subjects, these would be masters or PhDs. For medicine, you can study as a postgrad on a graduate entry programme. This is where you first complete one degree and then do a shortened 4 year medical course. These are only offered at certain universities and are very competitive

Thanks, I understand now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending